Book V. Movie

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2012, 09:58 AM
RE: Book V. Movie
It worked a little differently, but The Abyss was a really good movie and after the movie was fully filmed (but still being edited and not released yet) they gave the film, story boards, and director's notes, as well as other notes from the screenplay writer, to Orson Scott Card and he wrote a book using all that material that was (not surprisingly) exactly like the movie but filled in with background and history and personality that the movie didn't have time for.

I wish every movie/book worked this well (except the movies made from already existing books, of course).

On the subject of dismal, I'm a huge John Carter of Mars fan and the recent movie slaughtered those books (but at least it was better than the previous movie made some 20 years earlier). Another dismal movie was Starship Troopers, barely worth the time for groundbreaking (then) CGI but horribly trashing the great book that inspired it.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2012, 10:04 AM
(24-10-2012 09:28 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(24-10-2012 06:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  LOTR was made into dreadful movies. He fucked up the story so badly I wept.

That was essentially my initial impression, but if you think of how they had to compress the story to fit it all into 9 hours of film for the theatrical version, and, i dunno 12 for the extended editions it was don't quite well. What would've been ideal would have been a TV series or Mini-Series in that style, but then cost of making it would've outweighed the profit so I think that we got the best possible deal we could reasonably expect. Just my opinion.

One thing that did bother me though was Jackson gave the impression Frodo was still very young we he left for his adventure, though he was supposed to be thirty-three if memory serves. That could've easily been fixed easily, especially in the extended edition, but it wasn't.

No, no, and no.
I understand editing out some things. I was disappointed that the whole Tom Bombadil thing was not there, but I get it.
It is the gratuitous changing of central themes that is the problem; the roles and motivations of various characters, the sequence of events.
But the biggest sin was changing the ending. Peter Fucking Jackson blew it.

Don't even get me started on the Harry Potter movies.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-10-2012, 12:00 PM
(24-10-2012 10:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-10-2012 09:28 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  That was essentially my initial impression, but if you think of how they had to compress the story to fit it all into 9 hours of film for the theatrical version, and, i dunno 12 for the extended editions it was don't quite well. What would've been ideal would have been a TV series or Mini-Series in that style, but then cost of making it would've outweighed the profit so I think that we got the best possible deal we could reasonably expect. Just my opinion.

One thing that did bother me though was Jackson gave the impression Frodo was still very young we he left for his adventure, though he was supposed to be thirty-three if memory serves. That could've easily been fixed easily, especially in the extended edition, but it wasn't.

No, no, and no.
I understand editing out some things. I was disappointed that the whole Tom Bombadil thing was not there, but I get it.
It is the gratuitous changing of central themes that is the problem; the roles and motivations of various characters, the sequence of events.

Harry Potter

24-10-2012, 12:37 PM
(24-10-2012 12:00 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(24-10-2012 10:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, no, and no.

Harry Potter

Grrrrrrrrrrr...

Aaaaaaahhhhhh! (runs screaming from the room, collapses in the hall, sobbing. Weeping )

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-10-2012, 01:59 PM
I quite enjoyed the first lotr movie and had high hopes for the other two. They were dashed. Now I will not likely watch the hobbit.

Hitchikers movie was awful.

The first two Harry Potter movies were alright...

I like the count of Monte cristo. It's not a bad movie though the book is better.

Also 13th warrior is a guilty pleasure of mine, and I actually like it better than the book. Though I think the book is better, the movie is more fun.

I actually enjoyed the Claire daines Romeo and Juliette better than the play. I like the play alright but it's one of the silliest of Shakespeare catalogue so watching a strange modernish retelling was strangely enjoyable.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
25-10-2012, 01:17 AM
The Good:
The Princess Bride
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

The Terrible:
Northern Lights (The Film was called: the Golden Compass)
The Three Musketeers (have you seen the latest one?)
Sherlock Holmes (the one with Robert Downey Jr)

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
25-10-2012, 01:26 AM
(24-10-2012 01:59 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I like the count of Monte cristo. It's not a bad movie though the book is better.

In addition to finding it very difficult to see past Caviezel bible-thumping ways, they kinda screwed the story up... I mean, what's up with Albert being his son? Eesh... Still, it was much better than a lot of adaptations and definitely better than the Three Musketeers...

(25-10-2012 01:17 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  The Three Musketeers (have you seen the latest one?)

As soon as I saw who's starring, I knew I wasn't going to see (not that I would've otherwise, am not to keen no books adapted into movies in general). Just ugh.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
25-10-2012, 08:36 AM
Yeah there was really no way to put monte cristo into movie form without.
Changing a bunch. I actually view them as two seperate things. I like the movie but it makes a poor adaption. But it's a good movie.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
25-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Book V. Movie
(25-10-2012 08:36 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Yeah there was really no way to put monte cristo into movie form without.
Changing a bunch. I actually view them as two seperate things. I like the movie but it makes a poor adaption. But it's a good movie.

Yet making Monte Cristo into a sandwich, now that's just pure fuckin genius!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
25-10-2012, 09:41 AM
I tend to like every movie based on books, not because they're usually well done, but because I like to see my imagination in the big screen. That said, I judge both things separately, I can't avoid the comparison naturally, but movies and books are so differente ways of telling stories that there's no conceivable way to translate things correctly.
There are horrible cases like the Northern Lights, that's just terrible because it changed the very essence of the story, but LOTR or Harry Potter are quite good actually, because the overall story is the same and thus it keeps the essence of the book.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I wrote my first book about atheism! billyinlights 4 89 05-07-2014 12:02 AM
Last Post: CindysRain
  What should I read / book club maybe? Smercury44 6 102 12-06-2014 09:26 PM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  A book about contemporary humanism/atheism? Hejhejhej 2 65 13-05-2014 01:43 AM
Last Post: Banjo
  State Book - Louisiana raven48 1 62 15-04-2014 01:53 PM
Last Post: wazzel
  All encompassing book about science proplayer44 5 124 17-03-2014 11:23 AM
Last Post: Chas
  TTA Book club (god is not Great) TheBeardedDude 37 1,311 12-02-2014 10:10 PM
Last Post: sporehux
  Comic book reccomendations. FSM_scot 53 2,935 21-12-2013 05:36 PM
Last Post: Slowminded