Book V. Movie

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2012, 10:54 AM
RE: Book V. Movie
(25-10-2012 08:37 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(25-10-2012 08:36 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Yeah there was really no way to put monte cristo into movie form without.
Changing a bunch. I actually view them as two seperate things. I like the movie but it makes a poor adaption. But it's a good movie.

Yet making Monte Cristo into a sandwich, now that's just pure fuckin genius!

Will have to take your word for it - never tried it. We don't have such luxuries in my neck of the woods... we're simple, unsophisticated people you know Undecided

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2012, 11:30 AM
(25-10-2012 09:41 AM)nach_in Wrote:  I tend to like every movie based on books, not because they're usually well done, but because I like to see my imagination in the big screen. That said, I judge both things separately, I can't avoid the comparison naturally, but movies and books are so differente ways of telling stories that there's no conceivable way to translate things correctly.
There are horrible cases like the Northern Lights, that's just terrible because it changed the very essence of the story, but LOTR or Harry Potter are quite good actually, because the overall story is the same and thus it keeps the essence of the book.

LOTR missed the essence; HP missed the richness and interconnectedness, and many of the points.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
25-10-2012, 11:53 AM
(25-10-2012 11:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-10-2012 09:41 AM)nach_in Wrote:  I tend to like every movie based on books, not because they're usually well done, but because I like to see my imagination in the big screen. That said, I judge both things separately, I can't avoid the comparison naturally, but movies and books are so differente ways of telling stories that there's no conceivable way to translate things correctly.
There are horrible cases like the Northern Lights, that's just terrible because it changed the very essence of the story, but LOTR or Harry Potter are quite good actually, because the overall story is the same and thus it keeps the essence of the book.

LOTR missed the essence; HP missed the richness and interconnectedness, and many of the points.

I didn't feel LOTR missed the essence, it's like the same as the book but thinner, like a light coke or something, it's pretty much the same but not quite. The same about HP.
With the Golden Compass it's different, the very name is wrong, the story is about the northern lights not the alethiometer, the only character well done was Mrs, Coulter and everything else was not in the right place, and lets not even talk about the ending!

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
25-10-2012, 11:59 AM
(25-10-2012 10:54 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(25-10-2012 08:37 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Yet making Monte Cristo into a sandwich, now that's just pure fuckin genius!

Will have to take your word for it - never tried it. We don't have such luxuries in my neck of the woods... we're simple, unsophisticated people you know Undecided

You Europeans sure are a funny lot. And by funny I mean you look and smell funny.

[Image: 072909_TT_FALL_MonteCfeature.jpg]

[Image: count-of-monte-cristo-sandwiches-01.jpg]

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
25-10-2012, 12:01 PM
(25-10-2012 11:53 AM)nach_in Wrote:  
(25-10-2012 11:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  LOTR missed the essence; HP missed the richness and interconnectedness, and many of the points.

I didn't feel LOTR missed the essence, it's like the same as the book but thinner, like a light coke or something, it's pretty much the same but not quite. The same about HP.
With the Golden Compass it's different, the very name is wrong, the story is about the northern lights not the alethiometer, the only character well done was Mrs, Coulter and everything else was not in the right place, and lets not even talk about the ending!

There were problems thoughout LOTR, but the culmination of the problems was the completely fucked up ending. 'The Scouring of the Shire' is absolutely necessary and is the denouement; it embodies the meaning of coming of age, of the passing away of the old. Peter Fucking Jackson missed the whole point. Apparently all of you LOTR movie lovers did too.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-10-2012, 12:12 PM
(25-10-2012 12:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-10-2012 11:53 AM)nach_in Wrote:  I didn't feel LOTR missed the essence, it's like the same as the book but thinner, like a light coke or something, it's pretty much the same but not quite. The same about HP.

There were problems thoughout LOTR, but the culmination of the problems was the completely fucked up ending. 'The Scouring of the Shire' is absolutely necessary and is the denouement; it embodies the meaning of coming of age, of the passing away of the old. Peter Fucking Jackson missed the whole point. Apparently all of you LOTR movie lovers did too.

I didn't missed the point, I just don't give that much importance to it, I don't enjoy making a science out of stories, specially fantasy stories, I see the main plot and events were fairly displayed and the gaps are reasonable. And about the message, my sister never read the books and she got it quite well, so can anyone, so nothing is completely lost.

I'm not saying is perfect of course, and if I had to choose I'd choose the book, but again, movies are different than books, and there must be sacrifices.

25-10-2012, 12:14 PM
(25-10-2012 11:59 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(25-10-2012 10:54 AM)Vera Wrote:  Will have to take your word for it - never tried it. We don't have such luxuries in my neck of the woods... we're simple, unsophisticated people you know Undecided

You Europeans sure are a funny lot. And by funny I mean you look and smell funny.

I know what it is, just never tried it... (plus, I'd rather I didn't weigh 200lbs by the time I hit 35 Yes )

And it's not the whole of Europe - in Porto they had this monstrosity http://ementadodia.blogspot.com/2012/02/...sinha.html

And it's not a funny smell, it's pheromones, you silly...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
25-10-2012, 01:08 PM
AW: Book V. Movie
They fucked up the movie version of the Eragon Saga really bad. I could barely watch it.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
25-10-2012, 01:35 PM
RE: AW: Book V. Movie
(25-10-2012 01:08 PM)Vosur Wrote:  They fucked up the movie version of the Eragon Saga really bad. I could barely watch it.

YES! that movie is fucked up.. and I didn't even read the books Tongue

25-10-2012, 01:50 PM
(25-10-2012 12:14 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(25-10-2012 11:59 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  You Europeans sure are a funny lot. And by funny I mean you look and smell funny.

I know what it is, just never tried it... (plus, I'd rather I didn't weigh 200lbs by the time I hit 35 Yes )

And it's not the whole of Europe - in Porto they had this monstrosity http://ementadodia.blogspot.com/2012/02/...sinha.html

And it's not a funny smell, it's pheromones, you silly...

Oh my. Drooling

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My