Book V. Movie

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2012, 07:26 PM
RE: Book V. Movie
(24-10-2012 12:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-10-2012 12:00 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Harry Potter

Grrrrrrrrrrr...

Aaaaaaahhhhhh! (runs screaming from the room, collapses in the hall, sobbing. Weeping )

WTF, Chas! You don't like 'Hairy Pothead'? Yeh, neither do I? Big Grin

I really enjoyed Hitchhikers Guide so up all your bottoms!

I'm so excited cos I found out we're getting new episodes of Red Dwarf! Fucking YAY!

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2012, 05:52 AM
(25-10-2012 07:26 PM)aurora Wrote:  
(24-10-2012 12:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  Grrrrrrrrrrr...

Aaaaaaahhhhhh! (runs screaming from the room, collapses in the hall, sobbing. Weeping )

WTF, Chas! You don't like 'Hairy Pothead'? Yeh, neither do I? Big Grin

I really enjoyed Hitchhikers Guide so up all your bottoms!

I'm so excited cos I found out we're getting new episodes of Red Dwarf! Fucking YAY!

I loved the books. The movies were terrible.

Red Dwarf Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-10-2012, 05:50 AM
I've always thought that the adaptation of William Wharton's Birdy wasn't that bad (possibly Nicholas Cage's first and last good role; Matthew Modine was great as usual). Well, that is if you don't count the stupid substitution of the Vietnam War for WWII (like there's only one war for Americans and that's the Vietnam War). The dumbed down, saccharine ending also kind of sucked.

Speaking of Matthew Modine, I've been meaning to watch the more recent Flowers for Algernon adaptation since forever; I'm sure he's great there, as well (though, the older I get, the harder I find it to handle movies about mentally handicapped people, so probably won't do it and will have to stick to the book).

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
27-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Book V. Movie
I don't usually expect movies to stick completely to a book. In fact, it's usually impossible. But what they did to the Twilight books on film was a travesty.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
27-10-2012, 08:31 AM
Silence of the Lambs...both versions were good, you can't beat Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
27-10-2012, 08:34 AM
(27-10-2012 08:24 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  But what they did to the Twilight books on film was a travesty.

Hear, hear! Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
27-10-2012, 12:17 PM
I won't argue with the purists about LOTR but I love the movies and the books.

The music and scenery in the movies is enough to keep me entertained, I even have the soundtracks. I know that movies often deviate from the book they are based on and I accept and expect that. There are some things in the 2nd and 3rd movies that I wish hadn't been dragged out so long but overall they are among my favorite movies. I am looking forward to The Hobbit.

I thought the casting was good too. I have LOTR marathons now and then...will be planning that for my time off between semesters.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
27-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Book V. Movie
(27-10-2012 12:17 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I won't argue with the purists about LOTR but I love the movies and the books.

The music and scenery in the movies is enough to keep me entertained, I even have the soundtracks. I know that movies often deviate from the book they are based on and I accept and expect that. There are some things in the 2nd and 3rd movies that I wish hadn't been dragged out so long but overall they are among my favorite movies. I am looking forward to The Hobbit.

I thought the casting was good too. I have LOTR marathons now and then...will be planning that for my time off between semesters.

Likewise. I absolutely love both the books and movies for separate reasons. Thumbsup

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
27-10-2012, 02:41 PM
(27-10-2012 12:17 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I won't argue with the purists about LOTR but I love the movies and the books.

I think the casting was excellent, the effects very good, the scene/setting were top-notch.
If I had never read the book, I probably would have liked or even loved the movies.
However, the deviations were too gross. Leaving things out is usually necessary; change is not.

Note to all directors and producers: If you are not going to stay true to the book, make up your own fucking story and leave the book alone.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-10-2012, 02:47 PM
(27-10-2012 02:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  Note to all directors and producers: If you are not going to stay true to the book, make up your own fucking story and leave the book alone.
B-b-but it's much easier taking something that someone else has already created, than actually coming up with an idea of your own... Do you know how difficult it is to come up with an original idea? Do you? DO YOU? Wink

One of the books I had the misfortune to translate recently was about Sherlock Holmes as a teenager.. Sherlock Holmes my ass! The only reason it was called this is that otherwise no one would buy it, 'cause it was a crappy young adult mystery with a stupid half-baked romance thrown in for good measure No

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post