Book V. Movie

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2012, 03:25 PM
RE: Book V. Movie
LOTR lifelong fan. Sure, it makes me sad that Tom Bombadil was left out, but that's my only real beef with the movies. I thought Peter Jackson did an amazing job and created something that I would never have _dreamed_ possible 20 years ago.

I would SO love to see a movie made of Elric of Melnibone.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2012, 01:24 AM
glad there's someone that mentioned Clockwork Orange
I'm not looking forward to the new World War Z film.
There's no way that is going to come out well.
[+] 1 user Likes marieV's post
09-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Very few of the books I have read have been made into films.

I read the first and part of the second book of LOTR, and didn't like it. But I did like the movies. I can only judge by the first book, but I think it applies to all three - the movies were very well done, but deviated the wrong way sometimes, while keeping other details that really should have been left out. Like comments that felt awfully corny, unnecessary scenes, scenes that were too long, and overuse of deus ex machina. When you make a film, you have an opportunity to make something wonderful and change key details to tell an even better story. Jackson missed a lot of opportunities (and made it worse in some ways, ie. the Dead Men).

Sherlock Holmes was a nice movie, but so loosely based on the stories that it doesn't qualify...

Harry Potter was well done I think, but it was directed at kids, so I'm not a good judge of it. Someone needs to make a film series loosely based on the books as with Sherlock. Direct it at adults, with a rewritten storyline and more violence and better magic, and then I would love it.

I can't think of anything else apart from TV shows - the Sharpe series (which was meh for me), and Game of Thrones (which has been pretty good, and is a case where I like the show AND the books).

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
15-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer was pretty close to the book. I actually read the book after I saw the movie. It's been years since I last read it, so I really can't remember too many ways the film deviated from the book. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind was close to Chuck Barris' biography. The only major difference between the source material and the film that I can remember is that the person who George Clooney played was actually younger with red hair. Julia Roberts' character also died differently in the book.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-12-2012, 01:48 PM
(15-12-2012 01:41 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Perfume: The Story of a Murderer was pretty close to the book. I actually read the book after I saw the movie. It's been years since I last read it, so I really can't remember too many ways the film deviated from the book. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind was close to Chuck Barris' biography. The only major difference between the source material and the film that I can remember is that the person who George Clooney played was actually younger with red hair. Julia Roberts' character also died differently in the book.
Never saw Perfume. I hear it's good, but to me the greatest thing about the book was how it was written. I only read a translation, but it felt like a brook, it flowed so naturally. Truly amazing.

I might see the movie one day... Actually, one of these days. Thanks for the idea Thumbsup

Oh, the whole Pillow Book fiasco. It's not my type of film, but I wouldn't've given a shit, had they not named it after a truly unique book with which it barely has anything in common.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
16-12-2012, 12:11 AM
I don't read books because they spoil the movie for me.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes NoahsFarce's post
16-12-2012, 08:40 AM
(16-12-2012 12:11 AM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  I don't read books because they spoil the movie for me.
Ain't that a fact. Drinking Beverage

I will do the opposite.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
18-12-2012, 06:15 AM
(16-12-2012 08:40 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-12-2012 12:11 AM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  I don't read books because they spoil the movie for me.
Ain't that a fact. Drinking Beverage

I will do the opposite.
LoL.

I actually should read more. I just don't like when people complain about movies not being as good as books. I don't care if comic book movies aren't true to the comics unless it is butchered beyond recognition like Dare Devil...

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
18-12-2012, 04:28 PM
The LOTR movies are pretty well done and generally follow the books, but unfortunately some concessions had to be made transitioning from book to film. I can understand that.

The Hobbit... ehhh.. It was ok. I think going into the film knowing what you already know leaves a lot to be desired, whereas reading the series for the first time, in order, makes things a lot more memorable. I'm not sure if that makes sense.

WWZ, yeah, definitely not looking forward to that one.

The Road, considering it's narrative style, was about as good as I could expect from an adaptation.
18-12-2012, 05:13 PM
(05-12-2012 01:24 AM)marieV Wrote:  I'm not looking forward to the new World War Z film.
There's no way that is going to come out well.
Oh dear... the trailer makes it look just awful. I adore the book (duh) and it breaks my heart to see it come out like that. It doesn't look like a matter of changing a few bits, it seems like they have just changed freakin' everything!

[Image: opforum1.png]