Book buddies?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Book buddies?
So this may be surprising to some people as I am deffinately an atheist and am quite sure in my non-belief, but I have never actually READ "God is not Great."

I was wondering if anyone would be up for a kind of book group thing? We could do stuff on the forum, or even have skype sessions once a month? I've had this project I wanted to do for a while that involves reading lots and lots of books and doing reviews of them to encourage discussion. I just think it would be neat to connect over the written word since it's so fantabulous.

Also, we could do this with the Bible. I think it's a good idea

My Blog
[Image: 1z5qgiq.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2012, 11:32 AM
RE: Book buddies?
Well I'l read with you later. I've not read it either. Right now I'm focused on going to Montreal. At the moment life is a bit hectic for big plans. I've read The greatest Show on Earth, that's about the only actual atheist literature I've read.

As far as the bible I like this podcast.
http://www.thomasandthebible.com/
Someone linked to it here. It's quite an enjoyable way to get through the book. Also of course we have Buddy's cliffnotes =p
http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thre...-the-Bible

From the excerpts I've seen posted from God is Not Great I saw quite a bit of misinformation phrases, and I'm not sure I want to read a book that seems so aggressive. But when I have the time I will definitely read it with you. If you still need someone I'll let you know when I'm free.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
28-02-2012, 08:56 PM
(22-02-2012 11:32 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Well I'l read with you later. I've not read it either. Right now I'm focused on going to Montreal. At the moment life is a bit hectic for big plans. I've read The greatest Show on Earth, that's about the only actual atheist literature I've read.

As far as the bible I like this podcast.
http://www.thomasandthebible.com/
Someone linked to it here. It's quite an enjoyable way to get through the book. Also of course we have Buddy's cliffnotes =p
http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thre...-the-Bible

From the excerpts I've seen posted from God is Not Great I saw quite a bit of misinformation phrases, and I'm not sure I want to read a book that seems so aggressive. But when I have the time I will definitely read it with you. If you still need someone I'll let you know when I'm free.

Well, I sort of meant a general book reading buddy group thing. We can read anything, it doesn't have to be "God is not Great." I Just planned to review it for my blog and thought i'd have some conversation about it while I did.

I also was interested in just reading books with people. I enjoy them when I have someone to chat about them with.

My Blog
29-02-2012, 12:06 AM (This post was last modified: 29-02-2012 12:10 AM by GirlyMan.)
(28-02-2012 08:56 PM)NeonMoment Wrote:  Well, I sort of meant a general book reading buddy group thing. We can read anything, ... I also was interested in just reading books with people. I enjoy them when I have someone to chat about them with.

No Exit or Waiting for Godot, your call. Wink

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
29-02-2012, 12:20 AM
I'd be interested!
29-02-2012, 01:29 AM
I am not a big reader but If you named an interesting book I would at least give it a shot, i tend to start things and never finish them so I wouldn't be surprised if I stopped reading before the end. But ill give it a shot if you want.
29-02-2012, 07:57 AM
(29-02-2012 12:06 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-02-2012 08:56 PM)NeonMoment Wrote:  Well, I sort of meant a general book reading buddy group thing. We can read anything, ... I also was interested in just reading books with people. I enjoy them when I have someone to chat about them with.

No Exit or Waiting for Godot, your call. Wink

Let me see if I can get either of them from one of the libraries in town and then I'll let you know!

Also, let's try to get some more people on board so we can have a discussion blast.

My Blog
29-02-2012, 10:28 AM
I'm not really looking to read a french play, ill hope on the bandwaggon during another book.
29-02-2012, 10:56 AM
(29-02-2012 10:28 AM)hollowpointm16 Wrote:  I'm not really looking to read a french play, ill hope on the bandwaggon during another book.

I was thinking of the First book of Song of Ice and Fire: A Game of Thrones? Or maybe the Illiad? I'm going to make a list of books I want to eventually read and we can work out an order.

My Blog
29-02-2012, 05:49 PM
That does look pretty good, Ill read or at least start reading it whenever yall do.