Book exchange? Or something...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Book exchange? Or something...
There was this idea that popped out in some comment section on some site somewhere, I don't even remember where, which was actually proposed by some nice gal whose website I can't remember. Anyway, somebody commented how in his country there were no books on such-and-such theme (it was atheism or skepticism or something), and this gal and I got an idea of some sort of organization where members would send each other books that they have read, and the other member can't afford/find to buy. As I said, I don't remember where that was so I can't contact that lady, but since I was thinking along these lines for quite some time, I'd like to hear some opinions and ideas and stuff. Do you think it would even be possible to do something like that, or would simple greed just damn the thing from the beginning?

The idea simplified: A group of people who send each other books on atheism, skepticism, science etc., and books basically circle around the globe so people who, in normal circumstances, can't get their hands on a particular book, get the chance to read it after all. I hope you get the idea Big Grin

[Image: s1hlsk.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like le_procyon's post
28-03-2012, 03:30 PM
RE: Book exchange? Or something...
(28-03-2012 03:28 PM)le_procyon Wrote:  There was this idea that popped out in some comment section on some site somewhere, I don't even remember where, which was actually proposed by some nice gal whose website I can't remember. Anyway, somebody commented how in his country there were no books on such-and-such theme (it was atheism or skepticism or something), and this gal and I got an idea of some sort of organization where members would send each other books that they have read, and the other member can't afford/find to buy. As I said, I don't remember where that was so I can't contact that lady, but since I was thinking along these lines for quite some time, I'd like to hear some opinions and ideas and stuff. Do you think it would even be possible to do something like that, or would simple greed just damn the thing from the beginning?

The idea simplified: A group of people who send each other books on atheism, skepticism, science etc., and books basically circle around the globe so people who, in normal circumstances, can't get their hands on a particular book, get the chance to read it after all. I hope you get the idea Big Grin

I think that's a great idea for any kind of book. Biggest problem would be people finishing them and then leaving them on the shelf to be forgotten about instead of mailing it.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
28-03-2012, 03:35 PM
what are the rules for e-books? Seems like the most straightforward way. Book publishers probably wouldn't like people doing it but libraries already have e book check outs, so an e book club doesn't sound far fetched. Also eliminates the mailing / sitting on shelf problem.
28-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Hm, I have no experience with purchased ebooks, and sending free/pirated ebooks kinda makes no sense since anybody can download them anyway. And I really have no idea how it goes with purchased/borrowed ebooks, in my country libraries barely have computers. -.-

28-03-2012, 04:44 PM
another problem is that mailing books is quite expensive... they tend to be heavy.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
28-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Some e-book companies let you lend books to your friends. I have never tried this myself. Pirated books can just be torrented... but if someone doesn't know how to do that then they'd need help figuring it out, assuming they want to.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
28-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Yes, but pirating is, as much as I (we?) dislike it, still illegal. As far as I know, sending books as gifts is not. I was thinking everything should be strictly legal, you know. I don't know how much does sending the books cost, but I wouldn't mind giving some extra money if it means helping somebody to learn more. Knowledge has no price, I think.

28-03-2012, 05:04 PM
I don't think it's a bad idea at all, actually. I just wanted to comment on the e-book idea. They can be exchanged with friends- but I believe only if you use the same e-book service and the service allows it.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I wrote my first book about atheism! billyinlights 4 89 05-07-2014 12:02 AM
Last Post: CindysRain
  What should I read / book club maybe? Smercury44 6 102 12-06-2014 09:26 PM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  A book about contemporary humanism/atheism? Hejhejhej 2 65 13-05-2014 01:43 AM
Last Post: Banjo
  State Book - Louisiana raven48 1 62 15-04-2014 01:53 PM
Last Post: wazzel
  All encompassing book about science proplayer44 5 124 17-03-2014 11:23 AM
Last Post: Chas
  TTA Book club (god is not Great) TheBeardedDude 37 1,311 12-02-2014 10:10 PM
Last Post: sporehux
  Comic book reccomendations. FSM_scot 53 2,935 21-12-2013 05:36 PM
Last Post: Slowminded