"Arguably" by Hitchens 12.50% 2 12.50%
Total 16 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Book number 1, #2, and #3 for the TTA bookclub

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2013, 10:20 AM
RE: Book number 1, #2, and #3 for the TTA bookclub
(08-04-2013 10:39 AM)TheAmazingAustralopithecus Wrote:  I have the God is Not Great audiobook, but I must admit I prefer to read things. Audios go too quickly. Maybe I'm just dumb.
No; not dumb - you just want to get every last drop(like me)! Big Grin I've just finished listening to God is Not Great and several times I needed to go back over certain things said to make sure I got it. Of course.... I do that when I read too so... yea. I'll probably be listening to it all again - Hitch goes over a TON of information as if he was simply having a cup of tea!!

(08-04-2013 10:39 AM)TheAmazingAustralopithecus Wrote:  Also, Lalla Ward once illustrated a book about horoscopes, which I assume may have been a cause for dispute in the marriage early on Tongue .

I think I'd known she was the assistant for the Baker Who, but I didn't know they were married; my Dad probably knew since he was a huge fan, especially during that time.

Ha! Tongue I don't think a book about horoscopes would present a "conflict of interest" for she and Dawkins at all - he probably thought it fascinating; such esoteric illustrations would require carefully composed research to produce precise yet varied imagery. Someone would have to get really into the subject while remaining analytical and observant. Artists can usually do this quite easily (possibly one reason we also quite easily take drugs). Often to be an artist is to be a scholar; hence the mutual attraction for Ward & Dawkins.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2013, 02:07 PM
(12-04-2013 10:20 AM)kim Wrote:  
(08-04-2013 10:39 AM)TheAmazingAustralopithecus Wrote:  I have the God is Not Great audiobook, but I must admit I prefer to read things. Audios go too quickly. Maybe I'm just dumb.
No; not dumb - you just want to get every last drop(like me)! Big Grin I've just finished listening to God is Not Great and several times I needed to go back over certain things said to make sure I got it. Of course.... I do that when I read too so... yea. I'll probably be listening to it all again - Hitch goes over a TON of information as if he was simply having a cup of tea!!

(08-04-2013 10:39 AM)TheAmazingAustralopithecus Wrote:  Also, Lalla Ward once illustrated a book about horoscopes, which I assume may have been a cause for dispute in the marriage early on Tongue .

I think I'd known she was the assistant for the Baker Who, but I didn't know they were married; my Dad probably knew since he was a huge fan, especially during that time.

Ha! Tongue I don't think a book about horoscopes would present a "conflict of interest" for she and Dawkins at all - he probably thought it fascinating; such esoteric illustrations would require carefully composed research to produce precise yet varied imagery. Someone would have to get really into the subject while remaining analytical and observant. Artists can usually do this quite easily (possibly one reason we also quite easily take drugs). Often to be an artist is to be a scholar; hence the mutual attraction for Ward & Dawkins.

Yep, Hitch does read rather quickly in God is Not Great. Maybe I will listen to it after I've read it in print. Though I think one of the funniest bits of the audiobook is when he puts on an Irish accent for the "Religion Kills" chapter concerning the Belfast joke Tongue.

I think Lalla Ward and Baker were only married a short time. Also, on Doctor Who, did you know Dawkins made a cameo in it in 2008? Admittedly he was talking about physics rather than biology but it was still pretty awesome. Russel T Davies, the lead writer back then, was very atheistic and anti-superstition.

And I get your point, but I was just meaning that Dawkins is against horoscopes and all that stuff that he might have been peeved. And you're an artist? Smile.

"Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."

-Christoper Hitchens, "Letters to a Young Contrarian."
[+] 1 user Likes TheAmazingAustralopithecus's post
30-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Bump.

So... this is coming up, correct? I think someone said something about the 1st or 2nd Sunday of each month or have I already fucked up and missed the first discussion?

Review:
Which book will we be discussing? God Is Not Great, I hope - since that's the only one I'm at all prepared to think about.
I haven't plunged into The God Delusion, yet - I wanted to see how this first one goes but now, I'm ever more curious.
BeardedDude will be creating the discussion thread, correct? I think I'll be subscribing to it just to keep track.

I'm bumping this just to be reminded of what the hell I've gotten myself into here. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
30-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Re: Book number 1, #2, and #3 for the TTA bookclub
Second Sunday of each month! God is not great first, then Arguably, then the god delusion.

I'll make the thread either the night before, or the morning of.
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
30-04-2013, 04:04 PM
(30-04-2013 03:56 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Second Sunday of each month! God is not great first, then Arguably, then the god delusion.

I'll make the thread either the night before, or the morning of.

Well, that's a relief! I skipped over The God Delusion and went straight into Arguably because I didn't want to lose my Hitch momentum; damn it's so good!!!

Cool. 2nd Sunday. I'm good. Now, I can do another read through of God is Not Great to prepare. Clap

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post