Book on Evolutionary Psychology

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2012, 09:49 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2012 07:48 AM by ghostexorcist.)
RE: Book on Evolutionary Psychology
I'm reading Peacemaking Among Primates (1989) at the same time that I read the above book. I'm doing this because I feel like it will give me a better insight into the origins of human behavior. The book has on interesting passage:

Quote:Reconciliation is crucial: Immediately after a fight the two adversaries tend to stay away from each other, but after a time one approaches the other and tries to make friendly contact. The length of the process varies; whereas monkeys generally make up within minutes, humans can take days, years, even generations to do the same. Thus I followed with fascination reports on the meeting in a prison cell between Pope John Paul II and Mehmet Ali Agca, during which the pontiff tenderly held the hand of his would-be assassin and forgivingly talked to him ("I spoke to him as a brother, whom I have pardoned, and who has my complete trust"). Most commentators saw this as a demonstration of Christian forgiveness, but I recognized deeper roots, comparing the scene to reunions in the primate groups that I have studied" (p. 2).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Book on Evolutionary Psychology - ghostexorcist - 01-04-2012 09:49 PM