Book recommendation needed please

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2014, 02:58 PM
Book recommendation needed please
Hey all. First post. I need a book recommendation please.
I listened to an interesting tta podcast recently on raising children. The recommendation was to give children all the information on all religions.
So I am looking for a book that my kids could pick up that gave some facts on all the world religions, details of their deity, their rules, origin etc etc.
All the religion books in my local library are overly respectful and give the fluffy account.
thanks in advance.
Eugryan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2014, 03:24 PM
RE: Book recommendation needed please
Unless your kids intend to become experts on religion, why would you need to teach them about a whole bunch of religion? Because a bunch of religious people say you should? Instead, be honest with your kids, and tell them the basics. Ie. religions vary, but generally say the same thing....a magician that lives in the sky made us. If they decide they want to explore further, sure, be there by their side (if for no other reason than to help them see past the deceit that will surely be thrown into their path), but otherwise, why waste your time? Do you intend to teach them a full in-depth explination of the Easter bunny, Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, et al?

Spend your time teaching your kids about reality. Then they won't need religion in the first place.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
03-03-2014, 04:55 PM
What age group? elementary? middle school? high school? And in 5th grade my daughter's regular social studies class covered the basics of the top 5?? religions.....christianity, islam, judaism, buddism, hinduism, .....I think that's all it covered.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
03-03-2014, 05:00 PM
I haven't checked this book out, but this publisher does a great job with other topics. Colorful, in depth, but simple to understand for a person just beginning to explore a topic.

DK Religion

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
03-03-2014, 05:21 PM
(03-03-2014 03:24 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Unless your kids intend to become experts on religion, why would you need to teach them about a whole bunch of religion? Because a bunch of religious people say you should? Instead, be honest with your kids, and tell them the basics. Ie. religions vary, but generally say the same thing....a magician that lives in the sky made us. If they decide they want to explore further, sure, be there by their side (if for no other reason than to help them see past the deceit that will surely be thrown into their path), but otherwise, why waste your time? Do you intend to teach them a full in-depth explanation of the Easter bunny, Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, et al?

Spend your time teaching your kids about reality. Then they won't need religion in the first place.
I think your missing my point. The suggestion from the podcast, which i subscribe to, is not to tell what your children what to think but to supply them will the info. When children are raised in one religion without exposure to any other religion, they can be indoctrinated. However if they know the all the belief systems of the various religions they can see how ridiculous the various beliefs are, including the dominant religion in their country. There is more than one holy book, and not only are the books contradictory within themselves but also across books. Learning that it is a religious belief to circumcise, or fast while the sun is up, or take part in a ritual to eat and drink the body and blood of your god is a great way to show the ridiculousness of it all. And in a way leaving the kids come to this opinion of their own volition. I dont want to tell my kids what to believe, but how to assess information for themselves to come to their own decision. And giving them all the info is I believe the best way to that.
I get what your saying about santa etc, but we dont have churchs, and laws being influenced by grown men and women believing in the gospel of santa.
[+] 1 user Likes Eugryan's post
03-03-2014, 05:22 PM
(03-03-2014 04:55 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  What age group? elementary? middle school? high school? And in 5th grade my daughter's regular social studies class covered the basics of the top 5?? religions.....christianity, islam, judaism, buddism, hinduism, .....I think that's all it covered.

7 and 10. They are in a school that teaches catholic religion.
03-03-2014, 05:23 PM
The DK world religions book is pretty decent.

Using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes ProjeKtWEREWOLF's post
03-03-2014, 05:28 PM
(03-03-2014 05:00 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I haven't checked this book out, but this publisher does a great job with other topics. Colorful, in depth, but simple to understand for a person just beginning to explore a topic.

DK Religion

Thanks for the recommendation. They have this in my library. I am looking for something that spells it out without the fluff and reverence. looking for something that sets it out in a simple and matter of fact way.
for example, the history of the religions texts. how different religions treat women. etc.
03-03-2014, 07:52 PM
http://www.amazon.com/What-Do-You-Believ...y_b_text_y
[+] 1 user Likes freetoreason's post
03-03-2014, 09:08 PM
I don't know if it's precisely what you're looking for, but I (pardon the pun) religiously recommend "The Magic of Reality" by Richard Dawkins. Its aim is to present mythological explanations for various aspects of our world, and then explains why these myths fall short in offering anything of validity. Skepticism and logical reasoning are first and foremost.

I'm an adult, and even I enjoyed the hell out of it, so, it's good for all ages.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Misanthropik's post