Book recommendations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2016, 08:19 AM
RE: Book recommendations
(25-12-2016 05:22 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Drizzt and Catti-Brie always sort of struck me as the author-insert characters, so I usually gravitated towards Wulfgar. He was a big lug that did stupid shit, but he was starting to get his act together; then he got trapped in the Abyss and everything went to shit. Of the original Companions of the Hall, he's easily the most tragic. Wulfgar has, to put it colloquially, seen some shit.

Me and that kitty both (well, in my case it's "read" some shit, but still...)

I guess that makes sense... and also explains why he decided to pair her with Drizzt, instead of Wulfgar (always struck me as rather forced). Had to reread a bit about it, but you're right, his story did end up feeling more tragic (it also kinda helps when you have centuries to live and deal with your "issues" as opposed to mere decades...) I remember enjoying a book about Entreri I translated, was less black-and-white and clear-cut.

Plus, now that I think back on it (mind you, it's been years since I've translated him... years, in which I've been getting ever more cynical Rolleyes ), Cattie-Brie kinda strikes me as a teenage boy's wet dream*, you know, all feisty and fightery and stuff, but just enough to be able to leave all her sass and girly issues aside and go comfort the tortured hero in his manly hour of need.

Did I mention I've been reaching levels of cynicism undreamt of before? Rolleyes

(I also did one called the Demon Awakens. Was huge and had my first "romantic" scene. Was a bit uncomfortable... now I describe gay anal sex between vampires in painfully bad detail, with nary a pause (or lube, for that matter... which even the stupid fans mocked her mercilessly for... Dodgy )

*Still not nearly as bad as the bored housewife's wet dream of a knuckle-dragging, grunting neanderthal I often translate about these days. Honestly, am sometimes ashamed of my own sex Facepalm

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
25-12-2016, 12:05 PM
Zombie Fallout by Mark Tufo.

Because you know what's even better than a good zombie apocalypse book? A good zombie apocalypse book that includes a real nasty 500 year old vampire to spice things up, including such awesome side characters as John the Tripper, people dying of things like mistakenly taking refugee from the zombies in a former crazy cat lady's house and getting eaten by the now feral cats, and written by an author whose sense of humour is as sophisticated (Censored'ed up) as my own.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
25-12-2016, 12:13 PM
If you can wait a week or so (because 2016 ain't over yet), I'm planning to post a list of all the books I read in 2016, and I can recommend most of them (although some may not be in your area of interest). The list will be about as long as Szuchow's, but in the order that I read them rather than categorized. Stay tuned.
25-12-2016, 12:50 PM
(25-12-2016 08:19 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(25-12-2016 05:22 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Drizzt and Catti-Brie always sort of struck me as the author-insert characters, so I usually gravitated towards Wulfgar. He was a big lug that did stupid shit, but he was starting to get his act together; then he got trapped in the Abyss and everything went to shit. Of the original Companions of the Hall, he's easily the most tragic. Wulfgar has, to put it colloquially, seen some shit.

Me and that kitty both (well, in my case it's "read" some shit, but still...)

I guess that makes sense... and also explains why he decided to pair her with Drizzt, instead of Wulfgar (always struck me as rather forced). Had to reread a bit about it, but you're right, his story did end up feeling more tragic (it also kinda helps when you have centuries to live and deal with your "issues" as opposed to mere decades...) I remember enjoying a book about Entreri I translated, was less black-and-white and clear-cut.

Plus, now that I think back on it (mind you, it's been years since I've translated him... years, in which I've been getting ever more cynical Rolleyes ), Cattie-Brie kinda strikes me as a teenage boy's wet dream*, you know, all feisty and fightery and stuff, but just enough to be able to leave all her sass and girly issues aside and go comfort the tortured hero in his manly hour of need.

From what I remember reading, Artemis Entreri makes a great turn into a really interesting anti-hero alongside Jarlaxle and his band of mercenaries.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
25-12-2016, 09:14 PM (This post was last modified: 26-12-2016 10:23 AM by ghostexorcist.)
In no particular order:

* Next of Kin: My Conversations with Chimpanzees - A review of chimpanzee sign language studies and a description of the personal lives of the chimps and scientists involved. This is equal parts informative, funny, and heart wrenching.

* Chimpanzee Politics - A description of the political machinations of a Danish chimpanzee zoo colony and how they parallel those of humans (basically anything by Frans de Waal is amazing).

* The Sinbad Voyage - A description of the construction of a dhow using 9th century techniques and the journey from Arabia to China by the modern day adventurer Tim Severin.

* Journey to the West (2012 edition by Anthony Yu) - An immortal monkey demon-turned-Buddhist guardian protects a monk from monsters on his journey to retrieve sutras from the Buddha in India. This is a very dense read. You can see my overview here.

* Let Me In - Interesting twist on the Vampire genre.

* Maimonides: The Life and World of One of Civilization's Greatest Minds - A biography of the noted 12th century polymath and religious scholar. This has a gorgeous description of the Judeo-Islamic world during the time of the crusades.

* Abominable Science!: Origins of the Yeti, Nessie, and Other Famous Cryptids - A sceptical analysis of cryptozoological creatures.

* Confessions of a Dangerous Mind - A "biography" of Chuck Barris' days as a contract killer for the CIA.

* The Shaolin Monastery: History, Religion, and Chinese Martial Arts - THE book on the subject by a noted scholar.

* The Godfather of Grappling - A hilarious biography of Judoka and stuntman Gene LeBell.

* Magic and Mystery in Tibet - An in depth review of Tibetan Buddhist and folk supernatural beliefs, which heavily influenced western new age philosophy and fiction.

* Make Love! The Bruce Campbell Way - A hilarious fictional biography by the noted B movie actor.

* Gladiator (1930) by Philip Wylie - The story of a superpowered man and his life in the early 20th century. This heavily influenced the creation of Superman.

* The Book of Werewolves - The literal book on the subject written by the priest Sabine Baring-Gould.

I'll try to think of more.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
25-12-2016, 09:54 PM
GN, mate this is stupid. There's so many books!

In music there is what is known as: The Miles Davis Method.

What that is, is you can pick any record, look at the band members names, then buy a recording of them. Do the same with their lineup. On and on. Eventually you kind of meet people. In this case, authors, subjects etc you find worthy of your time.

You've got a brain. You're not a muppet. Trust it and follow your muse.

Recommend an album?

WTF??? BlinkOhmyNoHuhSad

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
26-12-2016, 04:36 AM
(25-12-2016 12:50 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  From what I remember reading, Artemis Entreri makes a great turn into a really interesting anti-hero alongside Jarlaxle and his band of mercenaries.

Ha, Jarlaxle, had forgotten that name. You know, this conversation's been like a high school reunion (sans having to feign interest in all the mundane daily life details (and babies!) of people you weren't all that interested in even back then) Thumbsup

Here's some Tom Gauld on fantasy, 'cause I love him so...

[Image: 37077b3fdf391bd948e84ad10f7cfba7.jpg]

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go kill a black chicken Angel

[Image: Bi6wcQzCMAAAzby.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
26-12-2016, 05:02 AM (This post was last modified: 26-12-2016 05:05 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(26-12-2016 04:36 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(25-12-2016 12:50 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  From what I remember reading, Artemis Entreri makes a great turn into a really interesting anti-hero alongside Jarlaxle and his band of mercenaries.

Ha, Jarlaxle, had forgotten that name. You know, this conversation's been like a high school reunion (sans having to feign interest in all the mundane daily life details (and babies!) of people you weren't all that interested in even back then) Thumbsup

Here's some Tom Gauld on fantasy, 'cause I love him so...

[Image: 37077b3fdf391bd948e84ad10f7cfba7.jpg]

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go kill a black chicken Angel

[Image: Bi6wcQzCMAAAzby.jpg]

That reminds me, I tried playing Dark Souls 3 for the first time yesterday. I have no idea what is going on, to whom, or why. It's a dark fantasy world, and the introductory cut-scene they give you before you even get to character creation spits out so many proper nouns void of any context whatsoever, that I felt I was being butt-fucked by Tolkein himself.

I really got into those books back when I was finishing high school and just starting college. I got really into playing Dungeons & Dragons, and it was a regular once a month occurrence. The kicker was that I was the youngest member of the group, who wasn't related to another member of the group (there was a father and son combo in the mix). So everyone outside of myself was a middle aged dude with plenty of disposable income, and D&D was their 'thing'. So while I had the core books that I needed, I also had access to almost every supplemental resource book Wizards of the Coast ever made for 3rd Edition D&D. They guys invested heavily in building up entire collections of the Chainmail series of miniatures, so we had legit figurines to use; and enough of them to represent massive battles if needed. Also one member in particular was really into building his own set pieces, using plaster molds. I mean, the guy built more than one to-scale (for the miniatures) castles, keeps, forts, or town out of plaster tiles. To top that all off, we ran two different campaigns, alternating off Dungeon Masters every other session (so each had 2 months to prepare); and the sessions themselves were all day marathon affairs. Plus, we were all rules lawyers, each and every damn one of us. We played like it was high level chess.

We were also sometimes too creative for our own good, and more than one session required the use if trigonometry to help calculate the Difficulty Check for a particular bizarre feat of epicness. I'm talking about our Half-Orc Monk, who has the highest movement speed and an absurdly high Acrobatics and Jump skills, drinking a potion of Levitation (which makes you weight neutral, but doesn't bestow propulsion like a potion of Flight would) while running at a cliff face (while we're trapped at the botom of the valley), vaulting himself vertically while maintaining his forward momentum, catching the top of the cliff face to redirect himself instead of floating off up into the sky; all so that he can get toe-to-toe with an enemy spell-caster who had been raining down fireballs on us. Needless to say that the spell-caster's shit was indeed ruined, all the while our DM was mildly exacerbated at our ability to flummox his plans. I mean, the DM had already forced a situation earlier that caused the Monk to use up his once-a-day Dimension Door (a one-way teleport) ability, so he thought that he'd finally been able to keep his spell-caster away from the group's designated mage killer. Nope, didn't happen.

With all that close proximity, and with the campaigns being set in the Forgotten Realms setting, they also had many of the novels relating to the setting. It's where I borrowed my fist copies of R.A. Salvatore's work, and during which I read most of the Legend of Drizzt. But that all ended when I moved out of the area, little over 7 years ago. Never been able to find anther D&D group like that either, with everyone being on the same page so that we all could really get into it.

Good times.

26-12-2016, 05:13 AM
(25-12-2016 09:54 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Recommend an album?

WTF??? BlinkOhmyNoHuhSad

What? I can do that. Thumbsup

Pearl Jam - Yield
311 - Transistor
Gorillaz - Demon Dayz
Lacuna Coil - Karmacode
Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
Beck - Guero
Foo Fighters - Wasting Light
They Might Be Giants - Flood
Alice In Chains - Dirt

26-12-2016, 09:36 AM
(26-12-2016 05:02 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I felt I was being butt-fucked by Tolkein himself.

So long as you don't forget the lube Rolleyes
(Okay, I might've been irrevocably messed up by my books...)

The rest of it... I understood the individual words, put together - not a clue Consider

What I don't get (besides anything more than just the gist of what you just wrote ;-)) is where do people find the time? Honestly, I don't have an especially busy life and even I cannot imagine squeezing in even the tiniest of amount of work with something like this. (Plus, I tend to get bored with things, but that's just me) Wasn't judging, just honestly wondering...

And I swear, this really has nothing to do with the fact that the older I get, the less interest I have in fantasy (and I have two uni papers, including my master's thesis on Tolkien. Not just Tolkien, but he features prominently.) I think that ever since I stopped being religious it's just... I don't know, I'm finding it ever harder to accept without snorting derisively even something as simple as "souls". Especially not when the movie or book in question is supposed to be science fiction, *cough*Dark City*cough. Like couple of months ago I decide to watch it again 'cause I enjoyed it quite a bit when I saw it ages ago. Leaving aside the atrocious "acting" of Sutherland, the moment they started spouting crap about how the essence of a human being (or some such shit) is not their memories and experiences but their freaking soul, I had to turn it off in disgust. Seriously! Facepalm

(And don't even get me started on that most meaningless of "terms" speculative fiction. What the fuck does it even mean? There is a reason there are separate words for fantasy and science fiction. Like, after discovering Octavia Butler I looked for similar writers and one of them is Nnedi Okorafor, looked very promising, spoke eloquently and strongly against weaponsied rape and FGM, so I'm patiently (albeit bored-ly) plodding though it, when I realise, all there is to it is... magic (and not even very well defined magic, with its own rules that make sense in its world, just some vague, never properly explained, I-can-turn-into-a-vulture-for-no-reason-other-than-magickkk crap) I felt sooo cheated (and still do, apparently Wink)

God, I'd forgotten how good this place is for ranting Rolleyes

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post