Book recommendations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2016, 09:44 AM
RE: Book recommendations
(24-12-2016 05:29 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Buy The three musketeers, by Dumas.

No movie can match this rollicking adventure. It's got everything. One of the best novels I ever read.

Ain't reading no book by a dumbass.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
26-12-2016, 10:09 AM
I'll recommend some scifi/fantasy authors instead of books:

Tom Holt
Ben Aaronovich
Charles Stross
John Scalzi
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
27-12-2016, 01:48 AM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2016 01:53 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
Favorite "must read" book of each category (other than some that have previously been mentioned) :

Fantasy:
The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon (a 3-in-1 trilogy that's really one book, like LotR)

Semi-fantasy historical novelizations:
Troy: Lord of the Silver Bow, Troy: Shield of Thunder, and Troy: Fall of Kings by David Gemmell

Military historical novelizations:
The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara* (Pulitzer Prize-winning telling of the events surrounding the Battle of Gettysburg)

*See also an excellent prequel, Gods and Generals, written by his son Jeffrey Shaara.

Science Fiction:
The Forever War (must get the 1991 "Author's Edition", which replaces edited-out material) by Joe Haldeman

[Edit to Add: I would also recommend the techno-dystopian near-future novels Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson and Ready Player One: A Novel by Ernest Cline... two of the most "fun" books I've ever had the pleasure to read.]

History:
The Rising Sun: The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire, 1936–1945 by John Toland (also Pulitzer-winning)

Science:
Your Inner Fish: A Journey Into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body by Neil Shubin

Psychology:
The Lucifer Effect: Understanding How Good People Turn Evil by Phillip Zimbardo (cannot recommend this enough)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
27-12-2016, 02:13 AM
(27-12-2016 01:48 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Psychology:
The Lucifer Effect: Understanding How Good People Turn Evil by Phillip Zimbardo (cannot recommend this enough)

Wasn't Zimbardo prison experiment heavily criticized?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
27-12-2016, 02:54 AM
(27-12-2016 02:13 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(27-12-2016 01:48 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Psychology:

Wasn't Zimbardo prison experiment heavily criticized?

Indeed. And the criticisms of the experiment are not without merit. However, the book is not entirely about the experiment, but what Zimbardo himself learned in the 40 years since the experiment. It's largely about what happened at Abu Ghraib and his expert testimony in defense of the soldiers' behavior, there. The prison experiment takes up a large portion of the book, but largely by way of explaining some of the psychological elements involved in "going beyond the intent"... he readily acknowledges the places where prompting may have pressed the subjects into actions they would not ordinarily have done. This is also what we see at Abu Ghraib, and why the defense of the US officials was, "we didn't tell them to do those things!"

Zimbardo explains why that's a bullshit excuse, and why we should not have been surprised to find the abuses we did in the US programs.

As a person who has seen firsthand the results of guards who are not only allowed but encouraged to make the people under their control miserable in inventive ways (inventive because they are "watched" against the old methods that were problems in prisons during Zimbardo's experiments, following hundreds of successful lawsuits on those issues of human rights abuses), I can tell you that the book--and the experiment it describes--gets far more right than it gets wrong.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
27-12-2016, 03:13 AM
(27-12-2016 02:54 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(27-12-2016 02:13 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Wasn't Zimbardo prison experiment heavily criticized?

Indeed. And the criticisms of the experiment are not without merit. However, the book is not entirely about the experiment, but what Zimbardo himself learned in the 40 years since the experiment. It's largely about what happened at Abu Ghraib and his expert testimony in defense of the soldiers' behavior, there. The prison experiment takes up a large portion of the book, but largely by way of explaining some of the psychological elements involved in "going beyond the intent"... he readily acknowledges the places where prompting may have pressed the subjects into actions they would not ordinarily have done. This is also what we see at Abu Ghraib, and why the defense of the US officials was, "we didn't tell them to do those things!"

Zimbardo explains why that's a bullshit excuse, and why we should not have been surprised to find the abuses we did in the US programs.

As a person who has seen firsthand the results of guards who are not only allowed but encouraged to make the people under their control miserable in inventive ways (inventive because they are "watched" against the old methods that were problems in prisons during Zimbardo's experiments, following hundreds of successful lawsuits on those issues of human rights abuses), I can tell you that the book--and the experiment it describes--gets far more right than it gets wrong.

I already read this book, though I don't remember anything from it as it was 4 years ago or so. Gotta refresh I guess.

As for Abu Ghraib if inmates were dehumanized then abuse was only to be expected - one can hardly fault oneself for beating who he deems not human I guess. Abu Ghraib was not unexpected, just like pre war abuse in polish political prison Bereza Kartuska wasn't unexpected. Actually I suspect that it was suggested - places like such aren't built to deal with prisoners humanely.

About defense - we didn't tell them... I guess they conveniently failed to mention that they didn't tell them to not do these things.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
27-12-2016, 08:12 AM
One of those conversations I'd be more likely to join in on someplace other than a public forum.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
04-01-2017, 10:12 AM
Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter. Although more than 150-year old, it's a good food for thought.
04-01-2017, 10:15 AM
Harry Potter and The Cursed Child. Kinda like "When Harry met Clara." I liked it.

#sigh
04-01-2017, 06:09 PM
David Deutsch's The Beginning Of Infinity and The Fabric Of Reality.

Tim Ferris' Clash Of Titans.