Book recommendations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2017, 06:07 AM
RE: Book recommendations
Where's Waldo.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2017, 06:22 AM
(05-01-2017 06:07 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Where's Waldo.

I have the audio book.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
05-01-2017, 06:24 AM
(05-01-2017 06:22 AM)yakherder Wrote:  

I have the audio book.

I heard the brail one's a bitch!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
05-01-2017, 07:11 AM
(05-01-2017 06:22 AM)yakherder Wrote:  

I have the audio book.

I just scared the cat by laughing so loud.
Thumbsup

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
26-10-2017, 11:39 AM
100 Best Nonfiction Books of All Time

Not sure I agree, but then I haven’t read most of them.

Number 1, for instance, is a terrific read but best all-time? I’d challenge that.

Who’s read what on the list?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
26-10-2017, 01:18 PM
(26-10-2017 11:39 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  100 Best Nonfiction Books of All Time

Number 1, for instance, is a terrific read but best all-time? I’d challenge that.

I'm having trouble finding a way to view the entire list. Your link shows only numbers 1-12. Of those, I've read #6, #7, and #9, and enjoyed them. I feel totally unqualified, though, to say which books should or shouldn't be among the top 100, or what should be number one.
27-10-2017, 01:27 PM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2017 02:29 PM by Szuchow.)
(26-10-2017 11:39 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  100 Best Nonfiction Books of All Time

Loading the site took slightly less time that Verne journey so I've seen only first page. I read both Dawkins and Hawking books and I must say that I found them enlightening and accessible.

Edit: Never heard of book on the first place. Also managed to see rest of the list and I'm surprised by it lacking names such as Judt, Hilberg, Aron, Kołakowski, Shalamov or Wiesel. If there was place for Reed propaganda ("10 days") then above mentioned deserved recognition too.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
27-10-2017, 01:46 PM
(26-10-2017 01:18 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I'm having trouble finding a way to view the entire list. Your link shows only numbers 1-12. Of those, I've read #6, #7, and #9, and enjoyed them. I feel totally unqualified, though, to say which books should or shouldn't be among the top 100, or what should be number one.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and you’ll see the numbers 1-5 with 5 being circled, click on the other pages to see the rest.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
27-10-2017, 02:47 PM
(27-10-2017 01:46 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(26-10-2017 01:18 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I'm having trouble finding a way to view the entire list. Your link shows only numbers 1-12. Of those, I've read #6, #7, and #9, and enjoyed them. I feel totally unqualified, though, to say which books should or shouldn't be among the top 100, or what should be number one.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and you’ll see the numbers 1-5 with 5 being circled, click on the other pages to see the rest.

Hmmm... that's better, but it still doesn't get me all the way. "Page 1" ends at #90. Anyway, of those 90, I probably own at least a third of them, maybe even half, but I've only read 8, and that's cheating a bit. The ones I've read:

#6 Hawking, A Brief History of Time
#7 Tom Wolfe, The Right Stuff
#9 Michael Herr, Dispatches
#23 Strunk & White, The Elements of Style
#46 T.S. Eliot, The Waste Land
#64 Thoreau, Walden
#69 Emerson Essays (this is the cheat -- I've only read some of them)
#85 Thomas Paine, Common Sense

I do have a bone to pick with the list. Eliot's The Waste Land, Beckett's Waiting for Godot, and numerous other volumes of poetry and/or drama, do not really belong on this list. Poetry and drama are not "non-fiction" -- they are separate categories of their own. Other than that, it looks like a good list. All of the ones that I've read (listed above) are certainly worth reading (although Strunk & White is more of a reference than something you read -- but it's a great reference).

My favorite piece of advice from Strunk & White (paraphrased): "If you're not sure how to pronounce a word, say it LOUD!"

Laugh out load
04-11-2017, 07:52 PM
So, since I've read through most of the smut I care to read, I'm looking for something else.

I'm deeply curious about the life of Thomas Jefferson. I have read a book or two on John Adams (back in my college days) which did mention him a lot. I used to have a book on collections of letters from him on my Kindle app, but it seems to have vanished (Kindle stuff does that from time to time). I also read his version of the new testament, which I'll admit was far more interesting than the original -- also thanks to an amazon kindle freebee.

Any suggestions?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces