Books!?!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2016, 10:48 AM
Books!?!
When I started here and explained I'm a Christian with questions I had some books suggested to me. Now I can only find one of the posts mentioning a book.

So does anyone have a book they could recommend? One that could help me through this possible deconversion? I'm looking for answers outside of my bible, looking for facts and history. Heck I'll take anything I just need more than my bible has to offer. Maybe a book explaining the bible in a different way? Whatever you got!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2016, 10:54 AM
RE: Books!?!
Well this one doesn't address the Bible as such, but try Graham Hancock's Supernatural. It gives a good idea as to how religion may have started.
18-03-2016, 10:57 AM
(18-03-2016 10:54 AM)DerFish Wrote:  Well this one doesn't address the Bible as such, but try Graham Hancock's Supernatural. It gives a good idea as to how religion may have started.

Good enough! Thank you!
18-03-2016, 11:03 AM
I would recommend:

- Bart Ehrman God's Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question--Why We Suffer
- John Loftus Christianity Is Not Great: How Faith Fails
- Michael Shermer The Believing Brain: From Ghosts and Gods to Politics and Conspiracies
- Daniel Dennett Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon
- J. Anderson Thomson, Clare Aukofer Why We Believe in God(s): A Concise Guide to the Science of Faith
- Richard Dawkins The God Delusion
- Sam Harris The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason

Also:

- Jerry Coyne Why Evolution Is True
- Stephen Hawking A Brief History of Time: From the Big Bang to Black Holes
- Richard Dawkins The Selfish Gene
- Patricia Churchland Braintrust: What Neuroscience Tells Us About Morality

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
18-03-2016, 11:05 AM
Another standard suggestion is to read the Bible itself without anybody at your side telling you what each thing means. If it needs someone to explain it verse by verse it cannot mean what it says and as it is written is very strange. Start anywhere you find convenient. Try comparing the Gospels one to the other. The several different fantasies of JC's birth for example and the genealogy of Joseph from Adam on down. It is given twice and they are a whole different string of names, not even the same amount of men. I turn to the Bible to prove Bible quotes wrong quite often. Jesus is quoted as saying that anything you want if you pray for it in His name you will get it. Have you ever tried prayer? Pray for a new Mercedes manana maybe. Any honest person will admit they have prayed for something that Jesus didn't give them. Best of luck in your studies.
18-03-2016, 11:05 AM
(18-03-2016 11:03 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I would recommend:

- Bart Ehrman God's Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question--Why We Suffer
- Michael Shermer The Believing Brain: From Ghosts and Gods to Politics and Conspiracies
- J. Anderson Thomson, Clare Aukofer Why We Believe in God(s): A Concise Guide to the Science of Faith

Also:

Holy crap that's a lot. You did mention one of the authors from one of the original posts.. So I'll most defiantly be looking into his books.
18-03-2016, 11:06 AM
(18-03-2016 10:48 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  When I started here and explained I'm a Christian with questions I had some books suggested to me. Now I can only find one of the posts mentioning a book.

So does anyone have a book they could recommend? One that could help me through this possible deconversion? I'm looking for answers outside of my bible, looking for facts and history. Heck I'll take anything I just need more than my bible has to offer. Maybe a book explaining the bible in a different way? Whatever you got!

Lots of resources in the Library.

Enjoy.

And if you find any more that you think will be of value to other people, please add some links.

Cheers.

Thumbsup

18-03-2016, 11:09 AM
(18-03-2016 11:05 AM)DerFish Wrote:  Another standard suggestion is to read the Bible itself without anybody at your side telling you what each thing means. If it needs someone to explain it verse by verse it cannot mean what it says and as it is written is very strange. Start anywhere you find convenient. Try comparing the Gospels one to the other. The several different fantasies of JC's birth for example and the genealogy of Joseph from Adam on down. It is given twice and they are a whole different string of names, not even the same amount of men. I turn to the Bible to prove Bible quotes wrong quite often. Jesus is quoted as saying that anything you want if you pray for it in His name you will get it. Have you ever tried prayer? Pray for a new Mercedes manana maybe. Any honest person will admit they have prayed for something that Jesus didn't give them. Best of luck in your studies.

Thank you! It's actually hard for me to just read the bible and turn my "Christian" off. That's why I'm looking for other books. I have tried reading it over the last week and each time something looks weird.. Well the church had an answer and it's burned in my brain. Almost like I can't think for myself I just hear what I've been taught.
18-03-2016, 11:09 AM
(18-03-2016 11:05 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  
(18-03-2016 11:03 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I would recommend:

Also:

Holy crap that's a lot. You did mention one of the authors from one of the original posts.. So I'll most defiantly be looking into his books.

It's just a nice starter I think.

I find myself in agreement with Socrates - There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance. Reading is good way to achieve goodness Wink

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
18-03-2016, 11:24 AM
(18-03-2016 11:09 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(18-03-2016 11:05 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  Holy crap that's a lot. You did mention one of the authors from one of the original posts.. So I'll most defiantly be looking into his books.

It's just a nice starter I think.

I find myself in agreement with Socrates - There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance. Reading is good way to achieve goodness Wink

That is one thing I have noticed. A lot of people here are well read. They have explored and that just seems like the right thing to do.