Books!?!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2016, 11:28 AM
RE: Books!?!
(18-03-2016 11:24 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  That is one thing I have noticed. A lot of people here are well read.

Considering the forum name there is nothing strange in it.

(18-03-2016 11:24 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  They have explored and that just seems like the right thing to do.

Expanding one knowledge is way to go I say.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
18-03-2016, 12:12 PM
The bible. From start to finish.
18-03-2016, 12:48 PM
I can't remember the exact title and can't seem to find it. Something like God and the Bicameral Brain (or Mind). It was an older book when I saw it, and I think it's out of print. If you find it, it is an interesting read. I read it back when I was still a theist. If I recall correctly... The idea is that humans didn't have gods until the brain became more specific. That's why humans have gods and animals do not. It could also explain phrases like "that little voice in your head" and people speaking to a god.
18-03-2016, 01:27 PM
So it seems that living in the Bible Belt my options are limited. Books a million barely had anything I was looking for. The lady helping me said she's not of belief either and it's very rare they get requests for these books. She said people take them and hide them under shelves or even make the walk to place them in fiction. But I did get Bart Ehrman's Jesus interrupted: revealing the hidden contradictions in the bible.
20-03-2016, 08:23 AM
(18-03-2016 01:27 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  So it seems that living in the Bible Belt my options are limited. Books a million barely had anything I was looking for. The lady helping me said she's not of belief either and it's very rare they get requests for these books. She said people take them and hide them under shelves or even make the walk to place them in fiction. But I did get Bart Ehrman's Jesus interrupted: revealing the hidden contradictions in the bible.

I live in the deep south and couldn't find any that I wanted. I have the Kindle app on my phone and buy and read them that way. I do miss my paper books, but not sure what kind of looks I would get by reading a book called, God's Problem. Plus, husband is still a Christian and I don't think he would love all these shipping boxes filled with atheist books lol.
20-03-2016, 08:59 AM
History of Christianity by Paul Johnson.
20-03-2016, 09:17 AM
I'm a fan of liberal education, that's how I got out.

The Epic of Gilgamesh
The Golden Bough
The Qran
Siddartha
The Life of the Buddha
Plato's Utopia
W;t
20-03-2016, 09:58 AM
(20-03-2016 08:59 AM)Aliza Wrote:  History of Christianity by Paul Johnson.

... I'm ashamed I didn't think of this one. Lol
20-03-2016, 09:59 AM
(20-03-2016 09:17 AM)natachan Wrote:  I'm a fan of liberal education, that's how I got out.

The Epic of Gilgamesh
The Golden Bough
The Qran
Siddartha
The Life of the Buddha
Plato's Utopia
W;t

You went a different route!! I like it!