Books and bookstores in your area. A question.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2013, 07:23 AM
Books and bookstores in your area. A question.
I was reading the yahoo article about Barnes and Nobel going under, possibly, and that brought up a peeve that I have had with them for a while.

To level set, I live in the lower half of the Bible Belt - aka Texas. I like it here since there are far fewer taxes, regulations, nanny laws and so forth. But with it comes the bible thumpers and far right religious conservatives. I have to admit that they are not intrusive and seldom come into my view. (Well, there is a church on every corner - you can't miss that.)

Back to B&N. I love books, bookstores, used book nooks with stacks and stacks of musty paperbacks. I even have thousands of them. But, sometime ago I was wandering through B&N looking at the areas that I don't usually visit, and realized something.

The computer section has shrunk dramatically - from a whole aisle to a couple of racks. The science section was a joke. It took up about a shelf. But, the Christian section is two full aisles, both sides, top to bottom! And that doesn't include the huge section at the front that has religious audio books and memorabilia (is that what you call wooden crosses, neckless crosses, earring crosses, stick on crosses, etc?)

So a kid who wanted to learn about (fill in the blank) _________ chemistry, astronomy, math, physics, robotics, etc, would be out of luck there. What kid would? Well, me. I loved science from elementary school. That was several years ago - about 55 of them. But if I was 10 years old today, all I could get from the local bookstores is a book that "proves" that Jesus had a pet dino, they died out because they missed the boat (unless I get the book that tells me that dinosaur bones are just tricks of Satan.)

Now. My question is. You guy/gals who live in, shall we say, less intense areas of the country (maybe less stupid, would be better), have any noticed the content of the bookstores in your area? Is it changing like mine? Is my situation local to the bible belt, or nationwide? If the latter, then, as the saying goes, I weep for our future.

Curious, Morlock
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morlock's post
26-06-2013, 04:57 PM
RE: Books and bookstores in your area. A question.
The Barnes and Nobles..es...s.... around here - at least the one I know of - is fairly well rounded. While I was down in FL, the one in Altamonte wasn't bad either. (In the mall.) Of course, the other chain - I can't remember which it was, now - that was in the mall shut down, unfortunately.

The only other bookstore I know of is a used book place (love going into those, never know what you'll find) and they've got a fairly diverse selection, as well.

What bugs me, though, is seeing the libraries. For me, that's where I used to go hang out. Used to have shelves filled with books of all sorts. Now... not so much. I dont' recall (the time or two I went in to the one near where I live recently) religion being that big a section, but things like computer books... "How to use Photoshop 4," "Windows 98 for dummies." *cries*

The library down in FL, though, that I went to all of twice, in Mt. Dora... while there was some fiction (intentional) and a few other subjects, it was very heavily religion... and yes, specifically Christian, based. I'd say at least half the library. It was sad.

My little rambling blog. (More topical than this one, at least.)
26-06-2013, 05:00 PM
What is a bookstore? I have an app for that. Tongue

As to the question, I'd have to assume the ol' supply and demand. If you live in Wingnut County, there's gonna be a bunch of books on wingnuts. I used to go to Bookman's in AZ (which is still kinda wing-nutty) but the science section was larger than the Christian section. I did notice "Religion" = Christianity, and everything else that seemed like religion, like Islam, was "Eastern Religion."

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-06-2013, 08:01 PM
Check me if I'm wrong, but isn't the bible the only book that good christians need? What the heck could be in all those other thousands of volumes, taking the place of something that people could read and use?
26-06-2013, 10:06 PM
In regards to your book store.
It's business.
The religious shit will be their biggest seller (or at least a hell of a lot bigger then science and computer stuff) and so it get's more priority shelving.
It's not that your book store is any more or less religious, it's just the area in which you live and that book store is catering to said area.

If you lived somewhere else then that same book store would have different aisle priority depending on demand of that region.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
27-06-2013, 04:31 AM
I'm not always satisfied with B&N either, though I don't think mine (college town, FL) is as Christoid as yours.

What irks me is Books-A-Million...a freakin' huge-ass religious section with a few aisles of books, an aisle of Jeezussy journals, etc, and side-aisles of God-Cult accessories. Ew.

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-06-2013, 06:39 AM
(27-06-2013 04:31 AM)Percepticon Wrote:  I'm not always satisfied with B&N either, though I don't think mine (college town, FL) is as Christoid as yours.

What irks me is Books-A-Million...a freakin' huge-ass religious section with a few aisles of books, an aisle of Jeezussy journals, etc, and side-aisles of God-Cult accessories. Ew.

I found a deeply discounted Hitch-22 audio book at BAM recently. The few atheist books were in some really obsure section of the store.

To the OP you just described the local libraries in this area.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller