Books based on religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Books based on religion
I know that there are threads concerning people’s favorite books , but I wanted to make a very special thread with just religious books. At least five of my top ten books of all time are religious in some way or another. I like these books not solely for the subject, but because they are truly good literature. So here are three of my favorite books and I’m hoping other people have other good recommendations.

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal, Christopher Moore
The idea behind this book is simple: what if Jesus knew Kung Fu? The story follows the journey of Biff and Christ as Jesus learns to be a Messiah. The commentary is hilarious, including Biff not knowing who wrote Mark, Mathew or Luke, and his comments of Mary’s hotness.

I, Lucifer, Glen Duncan.
What would Lucifer do if he were one of us? Get drunk, laid, high, and write a book. God gives Lucifer the chance to be human and contemplate asking for forgiveness. Lucifer spends his time contemplating his existence, God, and inventing new drinks. I strongly suggest taking the recipe for a Lucifer Rising to a bar and watching the bartenders reaction.

Master and Margarita, Mikhail Bulgakov.
Satan gets to visit Moscow. The story is richly woven and deals with the battle of good and evil while poking fun at Russian bureaucracy. Along side the surreal Moscow, the story also takes place during Christ’s crucifixion. The painfully realistic story of Pontius Pilate is a great juxtaposition to the story of The Master and Margarita. Get an annotated copy, otherwise you’ll miss things.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2010, 11:26 PM

RE: Books based on religion
I don't have any books to add to this list at the moment however, I was inspired by the weekend to share this:

Lucifer Rising Cocktail Wink [Image: 4638160.gif]

And why would Lucifer ask forgiveness. God being omniscient saw it all coming, so if nothing else Old Nick is God's co-conspirator in the sado-masochistic string masters play of the meat puppets.
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2010, 12:25 AM
(04-12-2010 11:26 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  And why would Lucifer ask forgiveness. God being omniscient saw it all coming, so if nothing else Old Nick is God's co-conspirator in the sado-masochistic string masters play of the meat puppets.

You should read the book, Lucifer has some very interesting ideas about it. To put it simply he didn't want to be God.
05-12-2010, 05:18 AM
The guy who wrote Jonathan Livingston Seagull also wrote a book called Illusions: the adventures of a reluctant messiah. It's not a terrible book.