Books for a Muslim?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2013, 10:00 PM
Books for a Muslim?
Hello everyone.

I'm an atheist who recently outed himself at work. Well, I told one person by answering a direct question honestly, but did not swear her to secrecy or anything and I'm sure word is spreading. Anyway, along with the typical "I'll pray for you" stuff, she said she wanted to give me a book to read. I agreed on the condition that we make it a book exchange. Today she presented me with a translated copy of the Quran. Yippie. I had higher hopes, but maybe it will be interesting to dissect. That's not my problem, though.

To be honest, I'm not sure what to get her. She speaks English pretty well but it is not her first language so I don't want to get her something too complex or heavy. I would like to get her something that would be an easy read and at least has a section or something on Islam but doesn't focus on extremist violence as I think we all know that those people would simply be dismissed as not really Muslim. I can debate just fine and we talked for a whole about things, but I think the language barrier is thick enough that most of my arguments aren't really going to carry any water, at least not when they are expressed vocally.

One important point I should probably mention. I'm not really trying to deconvert her. I'm probably the only open atheist she's ever known so I'm mostly just trying to get her to understand using things she is familiar with. Possibly pointless but I think I've committed myself now.

I've found several books that cover Islam at least in part, but I was hoping that the community here may be able to recommend something specific based on what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2013, 10:12 PM
RE: Books for a Muslim?
(23-10-2013 10:00 PM)Lenlen Wrote:  Hello everyone.

I'm an atheist who recently outed himself at work. Well, I told one person by answering a direct question honestly, but did not swear her to secrecy or anything and I'm sure word is spreading. Anyway, along with the typical "I'll pray for you" stuff, she said she wanted to give me a book to read. I agreed on the condition that we make it a book exchange. Today she presented me with a translated copy of the Quran. Yippie. I had higher hopes, but maybe it will be interesting to dissect. That's not my problem, though.

To be honest, I'm not sure what to get her. She speaks English pretty well but it is not her first language so I don't want to get her something too complex or heavy. I would like to get her something that would be an easy read and at least has a section or something on Islam but doesn't focus on extremist violence as I think we all know that those people would simply be dismissed as not really Muslim. I can debate just fine and we talked for a whole about things, but I think the language barrier is thick enough that most of my arguments aren't really going to carry any water, at least not when they are expressed vocally.

One important point I should probably mention. I'm not really trying to deconvert her. I'm probably the only open atheist she's ever known so I'm mostly just trying to get her to understand using things she is familiar with. Possibly pointless but I think I've committed myself now.

I've found several books that cover Islam at least in part, but I was hoping that the community here may be able to recommend something specific based on what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance.

http://books.google.com/books/about/The_...-lg-S_k-kC

Ask her to read it and then explain why the man who wrote it needs to die.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
23-10-2013, 10:37 PM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2013 10:41 PM by Heathen.)
Why focus specifically on Islam? Perhaps it might be better to stick with theism generally.

I always recommend The God Delusion by Dawkins.
It's a good starting point for discussion.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
23-10-2013, 10:53 PM
(23-10-2013 10:00 PM)Lenlen Wrote:  Hello everyone.

You were presented a book in attempt to spread the faith to you. An appropriate book might be Dawkins's The God Delusion or Hitchens's God is not Great. Hitchens is less Christian-specific in his arguments than Dawkins is .

You seem to be asking for books that might specifically refute Islam, but is that the right approach? Your coworker gave you a Koran to try to persuade you of the truth of Islam. Rather than trying to find a book that says Islam is wrong, maybe a book that lays out the case for atheism--that all religion is wrong--is a more appropriate response.
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
23-10-2013, 10:59 PM
I'm guessing a picture book would be out of the question?
lol no, how about this. Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. Its a very eye opening to see the true face of Islam. Oh and ask why she has to live under armed protection for the rest of her life.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
24-10-2013, 06:45 AM
(23-10-2013 10:53 PM)BryanS Wrote:  You seem to be asking for books that might specifically refute Islam, but is that the right approach? Your coworker gave you a Koran to try to persuade you of the truth of Islam. Rather than trying to find a book that says Islam is wrong, maybe a book that lays out the case for atheism--that all religion is wrong--is a more appropriate response.

You make a good point. I was thinking that focusing on Islam would provide context, but it may just be seen as an attack and would fall on deaf ears. I'll look into your recommendations. Thanks!
24-10-2013, 07:27 AM
Any of Robert Spencer's books. He makes a case ole Mo never existed.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?u...uh%20exist
(You can preview it on YouTube)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche