Books on Catholicism & Islam

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2014, 05:20 AM
Books on Catholicism & Islam
Hi all. I am looking for books to read on the catholic church/faith as well as Islam. Can't find any good ones and was hoping for some suggestions please?
Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2014, 02:53 AM
RE: Books on Catholicism & Islam
(09-02-2014 05:20 AM)cascoatle Wrote:  Hi all. I am looking for books to read on the catholic church/faith as well as Islam. Can't find any good ones and was hoping for some suggestions please?
Thanks.

Um, what do you mean by "good"?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
10-02-2014, 03:12 AM
By good I mean informative.
21-04-2014, 07:44 PM
For Islam, there's 101 Questions You Asked About Islam by Mehmet Ozlap.

It's a book answering some of the commonly asked questions about Islam. The only thing about it is that it's written by a Muslim, so sometimes the answers can err into the apologetics territory. However, if you're after a book that's written from an Islamic perspective on the religion, it is probably one of the easiest guides you're likely to find.
21-04-2014, 07:48 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Did-Muhammad-Exist...161017061X
"Did Muhammad Exist, An Inquiry into Islam's Obscure Origins." -- Robert Spencer.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

21-04-2014, 08:37 PM
(10-02-2014 03:12 AM)cascoatle Wrote:  By good I mean informative.

This doesn't help too much, informative in what respect? The origin of said faiths? Their development? Current status/new trends? Dogma/tenets/schisms? Introductory material? Higher criticism? From the way you're forming your question I take it you're looking for something rather introductory and overviewish. For Islam I might recommend Reza Aslans No god but God, which is a reasonably secular take (by a self proclaimed muslim) on the traditional history (and speculative future) of Islam and doesn't assume pre-knowledge in the subject. And after that the aforementioned book by Spencer gives a rather different and indeed informative take on the subject...

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
22-04-2014, 06:11 AM
If you are looking for a historical overview "A History of God" by Karen Armstrong covers the big 3 from a that angle.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
22-04-2014, 11:58 PM
If you are fairly adept at reading actual religious texts and are interested in tackling it, the Qur'an can possibly shed light on the conceptual mind frame of the average Muslim.
It's online and really quite handy. I'm a bit of a book freak so, I think I might like to own a nice copy with good translation.

It's extremely dry, horrifically repetitive, derivative as fuck, and really not at all a complex work. I've just finished reading it ... all one hundred and fourteen goddamn Surahs! Weeping

The last couple dozen weren't all that long. Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.