Books.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2011, 02:40 PM

RE: Books.
(07-12-2011 02:34 PM)morondog Wrote:  Don't know if you'll find a copy - it might be out of print, but Starship Troopers, and the Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein.
Even if it's out of print, I'm sure that I could find it somewhere. I love adventures and I would love to go on one, to find a book. Smile

(07-12-2011 02:34 PM)morondog Wrote:  Also Chaos by James Gleick, and Genius by the same author.
Carl Sagan is great - there's one with the subtitle "science as a candle in the dark."
Douglas Adams is pretty much required reading - try get a copy of Last Chance to See. Absolutely brilliant.
Thanks. Smile

(07-12-2011 02:34 PM)morondog Wrote:  I find Dawkins hard to read - I get 5 chapters in and somehow lose interest, but there's no doubt he's a brilliant author. I'm just not great at reading him.
If find Dawkins extremely interesting. But I'm into the difficult speak. I mean look at who one of my best friends are; houseofcantor LOL.

(07-12-2011 02:34 PM)morondog Wrote:  Asimov is great too - I've got some of his non-fiction. His fiction I find rather serious. Although Nightfall is great.
Arthur C Clarke... oh man, you're gonna have so much fun Smile
More thanks go out to you. Smile

(07-12-2011 02:34 PM)morondog Wrote:  Brief History of Time - get the original, don't settle for dorky 'even briefer history' or anything less Smile
I only read originals, most of the time. They are always better than the stupid, dumbed down versions that you find now days.

(07-12-2011 02:34 PM)morondog Wrote:  Feynman might be a bit of a stretch right now - Genius by J Gleick is his biography, but the man himself is worth a look. Just he's quite... er, well, he writes for university audiences - I nearly got turned off him when I was a teenager 'cos he's talking about *hard stuff*. I only mention him 'cos he's a total legend and no list of books imo is complete without him.
Difficult? *Hard stuff?* Smile Definitely reading this guy.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes insidemyownmind's post
07-12-2011, 03:06 PM
(07-12-2011 02:34 PM)morondog Wrote:  Feynman might be a bit of a stretch right now - Genius by J Gleick is his biography, but the man himself is worth a look. Just he's quite... er, well, he writes for university audiences - I nearly got turned off him when I was a teenager 'cos he's talking about *hard stuff*. I only mention him 'cos he's a total legend and no list of books imo is complete without him.

Heart Feynman. Blush
I only know his writing/lecture work and so little of his bio. Zatamon said he's read a couple of biographies ... of course, I've seen little news bios and YouTube snippets here and there. I often balk at biography unless they are extremely thorough. I usually end up reading several otherwise I feel cheated somehow.
I'll look for this Genius ~ J Gleick to start me off, I guess.
... In my opinion, the title is an underestimate... but how can one describe the greatest mind of the 20th century? Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
07-12-2011, 03:09 PM
(07-12-2011 03:06 PM)kim Wrote:  Heart Feynman. Blush

An excellent intro to Feynman is the collection of YouTube videos of some of his talks. These are very accessible and entertaining.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-12-2011, 03:12 PM
(07-12-2011 03:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-12-2011 03:06 PM)kim Wrote:  Heart Feynman. Blush

An excellent intro to Feynman is the collection of YouTube videos of some of his talks. These are very accessible and entertaining.

I don't have enough bandwidth for youtube at the moment Sad

IMOM, go for it Smile Shoulda known a caveat like that would be like waving fresh meat at a hungry croc Smile
07-12-2011, 03:14 PM
(07-12-2011 03:12 PM)morondog Wrote:  I don't have enough bandwidth for youtube at the moment Sad

That's what Starbucks is for.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-12-2011, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2011 03:26 PM by morondog.)
(07-12-2011 03:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-12-2011 03:12 PM)morondog Wrote:  I don't have enough bandwidth for youtube at the moment Sad

That's what Starbucks is for.

It's a good thing really - I get seduced by pretty pictures fairly easily - work goes out the window Tongue
Aaaa! How could I forget! You absolutely *must* read "Surely you're Joking, Mr Feynman" by none other than the man himself. It's comic relief from all the heavy stuff.

Ooo ooo, and if you're into history, Rubicon and Millenium by Tom Holland.

John Gribbin too for science history...

Irving Stone - the Agony and the Ecstasy - absolutely brilliant book, probably one of my all time faves. About the life of Michaelangelo.

TailChaser's song is a beautiful light-hearted bit of fiction about life from the point of view of a cat, can't remember who wrote it - google is your friend Wink

Umberto Eco... argh! Too many good authors.
13-12-2011, 09:34 AM

So I was told to do reviews on the books that I read.
Yesterday, I read called, Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott. I read the whole book in 15 minutes, I just couldn't put it down. I don't feel like going into detail about what the book is about, so here is a link to tell you a little about it (Living Dead Girl Summary). This book brought me to absolute tears. The author went into details with the troubles that this poor girl "Alice" went through, but she didn't give specific details about the surroundings. Although, there was a lack of description of the surroundings, I cannot get the images of the house and park out of my mind. Even without details, I picture specific wallpaper. Where the sidetables are. Where the lights are. Everything. It's kind of disturbing because with that, I begin to visualize the things that take place; the rape, abuse, etc..
With all of that said, I would highly recommend this book to anyone.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes insidemyownmind's post
13-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Marcus Sedgwick's all I read. He's not the highest level writer. More high school literature than anything. But his writing relates more to my dreams, and I think that's why I love his books as much as I do.

[Image: pBvowKv.gif]
11-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Dragons of Autumn Twilight.
Who Censored Roger Rabbit?
20-01-2012, 02:36 AM
The Giver by Lois Lowry. Amazing book, won awards. An easy (and discriptive) read with a surprisingly interesting and diverse concept.