Books.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2011, 11:27 AM

Books.
I will read absolutely anything.
I mean hell, I've read the bible three times.

I need some help though.
Recently, I've been grabbing any book and reading it, but I haven't found a book that has woo'd me.

So could someone leave names of a couple good books?
Anything.
I may be 15, but you would be suprised what all I can understand.
Hell, I understand houseofcantor -LOL- and Shakespeare, most of the time. Wink
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like insidemyownmind's post
07-12-2011, 11:37 AM
RE: Books.
(07-12-2011 11:27 AM)insidemyownmind Wrote:  I will read absolutely anything.
I mean hell, I've read the bible three times.

I need some help though.
Recently, I've been grabbing any book and reading it, but I haven't found a book that has woo'd me.

So could someone leave names of a couple good books?
Anything.
I may be 15, but you would be suprised what all I can understand.
Hell, I understand houseofcantor -LOL- and Shakespeare, most of the time. Wink

Anything by Carl Sagan, Richard Dawkins, or Bill Bryson (especially his A Short History of Nearly Everything)

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-12-2011, 11:40 AM
My all-time favorite book (and already mentioned in another thread) is "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card.

Closely followed by "The Razor's Edge" by W. Somerset Maugham.

And in my opinion, everyone should read "The Hobbit" and if you like that, then go straight into The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
07-12-2011, 11:44 AM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2011 12:10 PM by kingschosen.)
Ender's Game (best book ever)
The Maze Runner Trilogy
Anything and everything by Terry Pratchett (mainly the Discworld books that deal with Rincewind)
Jurassic Park
Andromeda Strain

These are some of my favorites.

Edit:
Good Omens... how I forgot this amazing little gem, I don't know. Possibly one of the funniest books I've ever read.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
07-12-2011, 12:06 PM
This is a very personal question. Not a bad one at all, but one that requires more info to proceed more effectively. I also love to read, though I've been off my game recently. My wife (girlfriend) does not like reading. She says that she has a hard time finding anything that she can get into. I've explained to her that it is most likely because she has failed to look. Which earns me a dirty look. But it's true. There are so many types of books, written by so many types of authors that if someone can't find ANYTHING they like to read, especially when they fail to read pretty much at all, it's entirely the fault of the expectant reader.
I admit that when you are an avid reader it can become harder and harder to find anything that really wows you though. However at this point it's not for lack of looking it from exhaustion almost at having looked everywhere and seen everything. I personally get locked into what I call blues boxes (simply because I play guitar and it describes a set of frets that can be scaled and played in any number of ways to always pleasing sounds and I think it describes how I now look for books) I stay within a set of authors, rarely venturing outside anymore because I've read pretty well all the classics, and shit tons of the middle to the point of boredom, and now I find dissatisfaction at anything new, even from my fav authors.
Holy cow, ignore the second paragraph.
First, what books, genres or authors are favored? That will make it easier for an avid reader to point you in a direction.
I am a fan of horror, or sci fi, but I will literally read anything. i even read this book about a mormon girl which was really good actually, I have it somewhere.... I can't remember the name.... I'll get back to you on that one. Warning though, it's written from her perspective as if she was writing in a journal.... and she's weird.

To go along with Pratchet, how about some Gaiman? Neil of course. As well as being an interesting author the guy is aces.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
07-12-2011, 01:19 PM
I'd like to read more but I'm just to lazy. The DaVinci Code was good but it's really the only non fiction I've read in 10 years. I read a lot of political/history books because they are the only ones that seem to hold my attention.

I could recommend this one.

[Image: arnoldschwarzeneggerp.jpg]

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
07-12-2011, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2011 02:23 PM by kim.)
Swell! Will we get book reports/reviews on the ones you've read? Might be interesting. Interesting as well to know a book you have already read and what your take on it is. Daunting proposition? Maybe... but here, where opinion is a virtuous enterprise... always good to get some practice in. Wink

On another thread the other day, I suggested a book out of the blue I hadn't thought about in years. I think I might give myself a little Saturnalia gift this year to celebrate the lengthening of days.
Here's a couple...

Man In The High Castle ~ Philip K Dick
The Razor's Edge ~ W Somerset Maugham (Erxomai, you found my lost brain cell!! Big Grin)
I Sing The Body Electric ~ Ray Bradbury (Uncle Ray, as he's referred to)- a collection of shorts, to be carried around for variety... you know; the spice of life.

Heart Should do you for a bit.

ps. Anything by Uncle Ray... in fact, anything by any of the above authors will pretty much get you through life quite well. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
07-12-2011, 02:29 PM

Two people have mentioned The Razor's Edge, so I'm going to check that one out. And Kim, sure I would love to do some reviews. I'll make sure to let you guys know what I think of some books. Like I've said, none of the books lately have wow'd me, so they're not even worth writing about. :|
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes insidemyownmind's post
07-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Don't know if you'll find a copy - it might be out of print, but Starship Troopers, and the Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein.

Also Chaos by James Gleick, and Genius by the same author.

Carl Sagan is great - there's one with the subtitle "science as a candle in the dark."

Douglas Adams is pretty much required reading - try get a copy of Last Chance to See. Absolutely brilliant.

I find Dawkins hard to read - I get 5 chapters in and somehow lose interest, but there's no doubt he's a brilliant author. I'm just not great at reading him.

Asimov is great too - I've got some of his non-fiction. His fiction I find rather serious. Although Nightfall is great.

Arthur C Clarke... oh man, you're gonna have so much fun Smile

Brief History of Time - get the original, don't settle for dorky 'even briefer history' or anything less Smile

Feynman might be a bit of a stretch right now - Genius by J Gleick is his biography, but the man himself is worth a look. Just he's quite... er, well, he writes for university audiences - I nearly got turned off him when I was a teenager 'cos he's talking about *hard stuff*. I only mention him 'cos he's a total legend and no list of books imo is complete without him.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
07-12-2011, 02:38 PM
(07-12-2011 02:34 PM)morondog Wrote:  Carl Sagan is great - there's one with the subtitle "science as a candle in the dark."

The Demon-Haunted World

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What Books/Comics/Magazines Have You Bought Lately? MegaHentai 51 874 11-07-2014 02:45 PM
Last Post: MegaHentai
  Some books for atheists =jesse= 9 147 27-06-2014 11:06 PM
Last Post: bobsyeruncle
  Funny, amusing summer books???? dancefortwo 6 102 25-06-2014 06:40 AM
Last Post: DavidQuinn
Rainbow "The 100 Best Books of All Time" Have you read any? Thoughts? PoolBoyG 24 420 06-06-2014 09:22 PM
Last Post: WindyCityJazz
  my books out lol kunoxian drive 84 2,558 23-05-2014 06:29 PM
Last Post: kunoxian drive
  Books on Catholicism & Islam cascoatle 7 168 22-04-2014 11:58 PM
Last Post: kim
  Ghostexorcist, what are your favorite books? Raptor Jesus 6 258 07-02-2014 05:31 PM
Last Post: Drunkin Druid