Bookstores

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2011, 03:50 AM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2011 04:03 AM by Monk.)
Bookstores
I was at B&N today looking for some geek books, and I had to walk by the 'Religion' section. Guess what I looked at?

110 shelves full of religious crap. And I mean 110 of them. Wanna know the 'space' was devoted to atheist books? Just 1. Maybe 1 1/2.

110 shelves, tons and tons of Christian books. What more can they possibly say about a 2,000 years old story?? I forgot to mention, there are DVDs, Prayer Guides, all kinds of nonsense mixed in there.

Does anyone else find that troubling?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2011, 06:16 AM
RE: Bookstores
(29-04-2011 03:50 AM)Monk Wrote:  Does anyone else find that troubling?

Annoying mostly.

I was in Books a Million last year wanted to pick up Dawkin's God Delusion - figured it would be somewhere in the area of the Religious Studies section. Three aisles of Bibles and devotionals, etc.

Finally I gave up and asked where I would find it and it was in the very small "Science" section in the back of the store.

On the up-side, Bookstores, like any other capitalist endeavor adapt to market forces. As the numbers grow and demand for reading materials grows consummately, the shelf space should react accordingly.

On the flip-side, how many atheist books can really be written. There isn't a doctrine, prayer book, devotional, spiritual guidance aspect to being an atheist. The Rock Star writers have covered the ground pretty extensively and, unlike religions, there really isn't a gap for "interpretation" or insight to what the Big Book REALLY means when it says...I think that fuels the Christian book market more than anything.

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-04-2011, 07:13 AM

Yes, extremely. When people are prosperous and optimistic, they take an interest in the world, expand their horizons, experiment, grow. When they're hungry and frightened, they retreat into magic.
People are very frightened now - and therefore dangerous.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
29-04-2011, 07:28 AM
I love B&N but I do hate that in the one close to me the nature section and the science section are essentially half-shelves that are by far the smallest sections in the store (except for the comedy section in this store which is equally frustrating) and they are not even connected! One thing I would like to see in atheist literature is a series of fictional works that are explicitly about an atheist protagonist. There are a lot of really great books that leave religion out of their main characters and some that take place in other worlds but I want an atheist character in real world modern day (or past) situations.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
29-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Most of the book stores that I am aware of are actually ran by Christians or at least the book stores around here, you'd have to go to a larger city such as Charlotte or buy it online to even get your hands on something like The God Delusion. I'm sure they have the Christian Book Store and other stores like that for all of you... or do you? It's obscene... I bet if we came up with The Atheist Book Store... boy would that cause an uproar.
[+] 1 user Likes Snuff's post
29-04-2011, 08:52 AM
(29-04-2011 07:41 AM)Snuff Wrote:  Most of the book stores that I am aware of are actually ran by Christians or at least the book stores around here, you'd have to go to a larger city such as Charlotte or buy it online to even get your hands on something like The God Delusion. I'm sure they have the Christian Book Store and other stores like that for all of you... or do you? It's obscene... I bet if we came up with The Atheist Book Store... boy would that cause an uproar.

Oh, yes! Place would be picketed, at the very least. We have been tolerant of the religious all this time, while they are not the least bit tolerant of anyone else - nor do they seem to feel any remorse for harm done. That's what makes them so scary.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
29-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Funnily enough my local bookshop only sells christian books in the Biography section. Apart from the Bible, which is in a book bin at the front of the shop.

The Koran is in the History section though...

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
29-04-2011, 01:31 PM
(29-04-2011 06:16 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  

Annoying mostly.

I was in Books a Million last year wanted to pick up Dawkin's God Delusion - figured it would be somewhere in the area of the Religious Studies section. Three aisles of Bibles and devotionals, etc.

Finally I gave up and asked where I would find it and it was in the very small "Science" section in the back of the store.

On the up-side, Bookstores, like any other capitalist endeavor adapt to market forces. As the numbers grow and demand for reading materials grows consummately, the shelf space should react accordingly.

On the flip-side, how many atheist books can really be written. There isn't a doctrine, prayer book, devotional, spiritual guidance aspect to being an atheist. The Rock Star writers have covered the ground pretty extensively and, unlike religions, there really isn't a gap for "interpretation" or insight to what the Big Book REALLY means when it says...I think that fuels the Christian book market more than anything.

Christians keep saying they are under attack from lotsa of books.. 1 shelve is many books? lol.. I guess science books are attacking it too Smile
30-04-2011, 04:31 AM
(29-04-2011 11:04 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Funnily enough my local bookshop only sells christian books in the Biography section. Apart from the Bible, which is in a book bin at the front of the shop.

The Koran is in the History section though...

Are you serious? All my (adult) life I've been searching for a bookstore that put the Bible in the 'fiction' section (which is where it would go if I owned a bookstore). Although 'biography' is not fiction, at least it is open to interpretation, as many biographies conflict and can be criticised for factual accuracy, etc. Putting the Koran or any other religious tome in the History section makes sense, too. This stuff was written a LONG time ago...I''d still put it all in the fiction section if it were my store, though.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
30-04-2011, 05:09 PM
(29-04-2011 08:52 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  
(29-04-2011 07:41 AM)Snuff Wrote:  Most of the book stores that I am aware of are actually ran by Christians or at least the book stores around here, you'd have to go to a larger city such as Charlotte or buy it online to even get your hands on something like The God Delusion. I'm sure they have the Christian Book Store and other stores like that for all of you... or do you? It's obscene... I bet if we came up with The Atheist Book Store... boy would that cause an uproar.

Oh, yes! Place would be picketed, at the very least. We have been tolerant of the religious all this time, while they are not the least bit tolerant of anyone else - nor do they seem to feel any remorse for harm done. That's what makes them so scary.

Yea I agree we are extremely tolerant... my father and I were discussion it and he said I should just ignore it. Just ignore Christians and all other religious people even the ones who are on tv and people praying where they aren't supposed to. People doing things in the government that isn't supposed to be happening. I'm seriously sick of it and I'm fed up with religions. I may be repeating myself but Christians have double standards. They think they can preach it and shove it down peoples throats but yet were ruining someones life or it's not right to persuade someone from a god.

I wish more and more Atheists would stand up in this country and finally cause the government, schools, and anything else that is public to realize they don't have any options left but to remove all religion from public government / taxpayers buildings, schools, etc. Even our motto and pledge of the allegiance needs to be put back to it's original state.

Think about this, if they are going to change our motto and add things to the pledge. What makes you think they won't change anything in the future? I mean something that our founding fathers created and they want to change it years later because of a communism state? Get real. Religion is a problem when it entwines with government. It may help people cope with problems, fear, and death but it shouldn't be shoved down our throats, our children's, and for the sake of our future prevent us from doing scientific research and expanding our knowledge.