Snuff - get a billboard. Get more outspoken. You are on the right track Smile

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2011, 10:44 PM
RE: Bookstores
(29-04-2011 01:31 PM)Monk Wrote:  Christians keep saying they are under attack from lotsa of books.. 1 shelve is many books? lol.. I guess science books are attacking it too Smile

We may not have quantity, but we sure have QUALITY. Big Grin

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
01-05-2011, 01:57 AM
Quote:All my (adult) life I've been searching for a bookstore that put the Bible in the 'fiction' section (which is where it would go if I owned a bookstore).
I don't know where this store is, but it might be an important clue on your search.
[Image: 1296952174494684.jpeg]

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
01-05-2011, 10:11 AM
If you google "christian fiction" it's actually pretty amazing how popular that combination is. It's as if they accepted the bible as fiction as a book, but as a fact when it comes to life. How does that make any sense?
01-05-2011, 10:31 AM

It certainly puts things in perspective. Wink As to how much faith needs to prove itself, over and over again.
Then look to places like "Crystal Cathedral" and Televangelists like Pat "I exploit conflict metal zones with Operation Blessing and I'm rich" Robertson, and Robert "pastor gas" Tilton to see that it's all very big business.
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2011, 11:50 AM
(01-05-2011 10:11 AM)Tim_Kiebooms Wrote:  If you google "christian fiction" it's actually pretty amazing how popular that combination is. It's as if they accepted the bible as fiction as a book, but as a fact when it comes to life. How does that make any sense?
It doesn't - and this juxtaposition was either unintentional or subversion by a fed-up junior clerk.
The fiction to which that sign refers is inside the shelf-unit. It's a large and fast-growing genre that's been revived from 19th century morality literature published by the Religious Tract Society in England and several church presses in the US.
They're dumb little novels with limited vocabulary and happy, happy endings.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
01-05-2011, 01:49 PM
(29-04-2011 03:50 AM)Monk Wrote:  Does anyone else find that troubling?

Not particularly. It speaks to the weakness of their position, requiring thousands of different versions, and hundreds of "guides" to help them hold onto their faith. We only need a handful of books to find atheists in hiding and rescue them from religion.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
[+] 1 user Likes Glaucus's post
01-05-2011, 02:55 PM
(01-05-2011 11:50 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  
(01-05-2011 10:11 AM)Tim_Kiebooms Wrote:  If you google "christian fiction" it's actually pretty amazing how popular that combination is. It's as if they accepted the bible as fiction as a book, but as a fact when it comes to life. How does that make any sense?
It doesn't - and this juxtaposition was either unintentional or subversion by a fed-up junior clerk.
The fiction to which that sign refers is inside the shelf-unit. It's a large and fast-growing genre that's been revived from 19th century morality literature published by the Religious Tract Society in England and several church presses in the US.
They're dumb little novels with limited vocabulary and happy, happy endings.
Oh, thanks for clearing that up. I had no idea Tongue
01-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Sorry. Sad experience has taught me to take nothing for granted.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
04-05-2011, 12:57 AM
I was at a large bookstore today. The sciece section was bigger than the christianity section by 24 shelves to 18 shelves. The music section had 24 shelves. There were 6 shelves on wicca and another 6 on Buddhism.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.