Boots on the ground?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2014, 12:09 AM
RE: Boots on the ground?
(11-09-2014 09:05 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Is it bad that while watching the video I felt more compassion for the donkeys than I did the people?

Not remotely.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2014, 04:31 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 04:37 AM by yakherder.)
Fyi, that video is from Afghanistan, just with a new label. Not ISIS. And once they're in buildings, you need kill teams going door to door to identify and dislodge them. The alternative is to do it Israeli style, which no one seems to like.

'Murican Canadian
12-09-2014, 10:54 PM
(12-09-2014 04:31 AM)yakherder Wrote:  The alternative is to do it Israeli style, which no one seems to like.

What is that? Assassins? That could work with the proper training.

#sigh
13-09-2014, 04:14 AM
(12-09-2014 10:54 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 04:31 AM)yakherder Wrote:  The alternative is to do it Israeli style, which no one seems to like.

What is that? Assassins? That could work with the proper training.

Well, room clearing operations. The guys in the video were primarily outdoors, and not mixed in with a heavy civilian population unless you count the goats. That made them ideal targets for air strikes.

One of the weaknesses of air support is that it is heavily dependent on FLIR. Great for making hiding targets stand out, not so great for distinguishing between them and civilians. ISIL at this point occupies buildings within heavily populated areas. Even if you can figure out which ones are the bad guys based just off their heat signature, trying to saturate them with bullets and hell fire missiles from the air would create unacceptable civilian casualties. At this point, the only rational way to eliminate them is going door to door, allowing for positive identification and direct engagement.

'Murican Canadian
13-09-2014, 04:31 AM
AW: RE: Boots on the ground?
(13-09-2014 04:14 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Even if you can figure out which ones are the bad guys based just off their heat signature, trying to saturate them with bullets and hell fire missiles from the air would create unacceptable civilian casualties.
That would be hilarious if it wasn't so naive. Do you actually believe that there is such a thing as "unacceptable" civilian casualties for the US government?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
13-09-2014, 04:51 AM
(13-09-2014 04:31 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(13-09-2014 04:14 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Even if you can figure out which ones are the bad guys based just off their heat signature, trying to saturate them with bullets and hell fire missiles from the air would create unacceptable civilian casualties.
That would be hilarious if it wasn't so naive. Do you actually believe that there is such a thing as "unacceptable" civilian casualties for the US government?

Those are known as white folks.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
13-09-2014, 04:58 AM (This post was last modified: 13-09-2014 05:04 AM by yakherder.)
(13-09-2014 04:31 AM)Vosur Wrote:  That would be hilarious if it wasn't so naive. Do you actually believe that there is such a thing as "unacceptable" civilian casualties for the US government?

Yes. Our ridiculous rules of engagement demonstrate this. In urban engagements civilian casualties happen. Some due to bad decisions at higher levels, others due to individuals losing it, and others because the general population doesn't have the stomach to commit to anything more than dropping explosives from the sky. It's never the end goal. Believe what you want, however.

'Murican Canadian
13-09-2014, 05:04 AM
(13-09-2014 04:58 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(13-09-2014 04:31 AM)Vosur Wrote:  

Yes. Our ridiculous rules of engagement demonstrate this. In urban engagements civilian casualties happen. Some due to bad decisions at higher levels, others due to individuals losing it, and others because the general population doesn't have the stomach to commit to anything more than dropping explosives from the sky. It's never the end goal. Believe what you want, however.

It's not the end goal but it very rarely stops them if they really want the target.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
13-09-2014, 05:04 AM
AW: RE: Boots on the ground?
(13-09-2014 04:58 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Yes.Our ridiculous rules of engagement demonstrate this. In urban engagements civilian casualties happen. Some due to bad decisions at higher levels, others due to individuals losing it, and others because the general population doesn't have the stomach to commit to anything more than dropping explosives from the sky. It's never the end goal. Believe what you want, however.
Yeah, no, buddy. I suggest you to look up, you know, Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the Vietnam War and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Try to do some research on what weapons were used in these conflicts, their legality and their effect on the civilian population.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
13-09-2014, 05:12 AM (This post was last modified: 13-09-2014 05:22 AM by yakherder.)
I have my memories. I'll leave the Google research to you guys. Like I said, believe what you want. I'm not gonna change your mind and you're not gonna change mine. I was merely giving some details on a video that is neither ISIS nor Iraq despite its label. Most of the "research" isn't much better.

'Murican Canadian