self righteousness
overly defensive
all of the above
[Show Results]

Bordering on insanity for being Atheist... we're also sin-loving & unthinking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2013, 08:59 AM
RE: Bordering on insanity for being Atheist... we're also sin-loving & unthinking
All of the above
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2013, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2013 09:22 AM by Vosur.)
RE: Bordering on insanity for being Atheist... we're also sin-loving & unthinking
Quote:Conversely, for me to say, "There is gold in China," I don't need to have all knowledge. I just need to have seen a speck of gold in the country, and the statement is then true.

To say categorically, "There is no God," is to make an absolute statement. For the statement to be true, I must know for certain that there is no God in the entire universe. No human being has all knowledge. Therefore, none of us is able to truthfully make this assertion.
Ray Comfort rebuts his own argument the moment he makes an unsupportable and absolute claim himself: that no human being has all knowledge. He would have to possess all knowledge himself in order for him to know that, in which case his original point would become moot.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
09-02-2013, 09:28 AM
RE:
(09-02-2013 01:16 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  well I sure don't believe in god. I don't see any proof or need for one, but technically were atheists AND agnostics... Unless were arrogant enough to say we know for sure there is no magic teapot... Er.. God...
Well, atheism and agnosticism are in no way mutually exclusive. The former is a position concerning belief while the latter is a position concerning knowledge.

[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
09-02-2013, 09:35 AM
Personally, I am very sin-loving.

That's because all of those "sins" are things that Human beings do (and enjoy) naturally. Drinking Beverage

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
09-02-2013, 10:54 AM
I always thought the that:
Theist Angel -> I believe
Atheist Smartass -> I don't believe
Agnostic Huh -> I don't give a fuck

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
09-02-2013, 11:11 AM
(09-02-2013 10:54 AM)pxlgirl Wrote:  I always thought the that:
Agnostic Huh-> I don't give a fuck
The last one is called apatheism.

09-02-2013, 11:22 AM
(09-02-2013 10:54 AM)pxlgirl Wrote:  I always thought the that:
Agnostic Huh -> I don't give a fuck

Agnosticism is a stance on knowledge, simply put that we don't or can't 'know'. The opposite would be Gnosticism, an affirmation of knowledge. So one can be an Agnostic Theist, where they believe but admit they don't know (these are rare creatures). You can also have Gnostic Atheists, the so called 'Strong Atheists' that theists love to malign so much (which is ironic as they're even rarer than Agnostic Theists).

People that just don't care are sometimes referred to as Apatheist (a play on 'apathy'), which is another term for 'practical' or 'pragmatic' Atheism...

:EDIT: Vosur beat me to it... Tongue

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
09-02-2013, 10:59 PM
Ok ok, it seems then that I had a wrong concept of agnosticism, which I identified with before. But to me, it was really more of a "I don't give a shit, leave me the fuck alone"-thing. In fact, I was still atheistic myself, but I was scared to identify as such, because I usually tend not to make myself a part of some group. I've noticed that the more people would dedicate themselves to some group, the more likely they'd become more extreme in their views and lose a sense of reality.

I've once watched a documentary called "The trouble with atheism", which exactly did demonstrate atheism in such way. It seemed absurd to me though, so further investigation brought me here where I could find some answers and clarification.

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
09-02-2013, 11:07 PM
(09-02-2013 10:59 PM)pxlgirl Wrote:  Ok ok, it seems then that I had a wrong concept of agnosticism, which I identified with before. But to me, it was really more of a "I don't give a shit, leave me the fuck alone"-thing. In fact, I was still atheistic myself, but I was scared to identify as such, because I usually tend not to make myself a part of some group. I've noticed that the more people would dedicate themselves to some group, the more likely they'd become more extreme in their views and lose a sense of reality.

I've once watched a documentary called "The trouble with atheism", which exactly did demonstrate atheism in such way. It seemed absurd to me though, so further investigation brought me here where I could find some answers and clarification.
pxlgirl,

It's cool. I see where you are coming from. Nevertheless, please try to see the difference between the Atheist and the Agnostic views...for it really does make a difference.

Thanks.

Julius
10-02-2013, 11:26 PM
(09-02-2013 10:59 PM)pxlgirl Wrote:  In fact, I was still atheistic myself, but I was scared to identify as such, because I usually tend not to make myself a part of some group. I've noticed that the more people would dedicate themselves to some group, the more likely they'd become more extreme in their views and lose a sense of reality.

But we're a really poor example of a group, as the only defining characteristic of an Atheist is their rejection of deities. It's only because of the circumstance of the world that we even have to have a name for it. For comparison, we don't have a name for non-astrologers, non-astrologers don't form groups, or meet up in hotels and conventions to talk about non-astrology.For many of us, it's the rejection of the claims on insufficient evidence, or the same reasons that many of us here also don't believe in alien abductions, bigfoot, or the chupacabra. Notice we don't have names and groups forming around the non-belief in those things either... Tongue

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]