self righteousness
overly defensive
all of the above
[Show Results]

Bordering on insanity for being Atheist... we're also sin-loving & unthinking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2013, 11:45 PM
RE: Bordering on insanity for being Atheist... we're also sin-loving & unthinking
(10-02-2013 11:26 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  But we're a really poor example of a group, as the only defining characteristic of an Atheist is their rejection of deities. It's only because of the circumstance of the world that we even have to have a name for it. For comparison, we don't have a name for non-astrologers, non-astrologers don't form groups, or meet up in hotels and conventions to talk about non-astrology.For many of us, it's the rejection of the claims on insufficient evidence, or the same reasons that many of us here also don't believe in alien abductions, bigfoot, or the chupacabra. Notice we don't have names and groups forming around the non-belief in those things either... Tongue

Good point, maybe its because Chupacabrism isn't practiced by billions of people, many of whom are family and co-workers who insist that we, too, should kneel at it's hooves and pray for its mercy.
Big Grin
But if there were we might be called Anticabras and be reviled. I hereby reject Chupacabras!

Bigfoot on the other hand...

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2013, 11:54 PM
RE: Bordering on insanity for being Atheist... we're also sin-loving & unthinking
(10-02-2013 11:45 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(10-02-2013 11:26 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  But we're a really poor example of a group, as the only defining characteristic of an Atheist is their rejection of deities. It's only because of the circumstance of the world that we even have to have a name for it. For comparison, we don't have a name for non-astrologers, non-astrologers don't form groups, or meet up in hotels and conventions to talk about non-astrology.For many of us, it's the rejection of the claims on insufficient evidence, or the same reasons that many of us here also don't believe in alien abductions, bigfoot, or the chupacabra. Notice we don't have names and groups forming around the non-belief in those things either... Tongue

Good point, maybe its because Chupacabrism isn't practiced by billions of people, many of whom are family and co-workers who insist that we, too, should kneel at it's hooves and pray for its mercy.
Big Grin
But if there were we might be called Anticabras and be reviled. I hereby reject Chupacabras!

Bigfoot on the other hand...

I must declare myself to be an Acryptozoologist! Keep cryptozoology out of our schools! Save that for Sundays at home with your family!

[Image: zoo.png]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
11-02-2013, 12:07 AM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2013 12:14 AM by Atothetheist.)
Even if a god existed, if he/she/it didn't provide evidence or interfere in the observable reality, the only Logical position is to NOT believe in him/her/it. One can't know for certain there is no God/god. One can't know for certain if there is one. In fact, if we are strict in our meanings of knowledge, we can't KNOW anything. But, that is mostly irrelevant except for when I mindfuck my fellow peers with my explanation of how this is.

Is it Arrogant to say that there is no God/god? Well, in a sense, yes. Who are you to make such a claim? How did you get this knowledge, and the only other question one will ask Is : How come this information was denied to me?

Because we can't KNOW anything, we can only PRECIEVE and BELIEVE.

If you say I BELIEVE there is no God/god(s),then you will be expected to bring up evidence in favor. This is impossible. Gnostic Atheism to the God Concept is an untenable postion.

However, a fairlly strong almost gnostic stance on Deities or Santa Claus is not such an untenable position because we can point out logical inconsistencies that are self refuting.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.