Borderlands 2

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2012, 02:05 PM
RE: Borderlands 2
Overall would you guys recommend this game?. I haven't played the first one because I'm completely bored of FPS games, so it didn't really appeal to me.

What sets it apart from the millions of generic shooters already out there?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2012, 02:24 PM
The only things that set it apart is the collecting of loot. It's all about getting looting and then using loot and then getting more loot and using it. Ala Diablo
Recommended only when played multiplayer laor for the loot acquirer within.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2012, 02:47 PM
And it's funny. Thumbsup

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
02-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Borderlands 2
(02-10-2012 02:05 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Overall would you guys recommend this game?. I haven't played the first one because I'm completely bored of FPS games, so it didn't really appeal to me.

What sets it apart from the millions of generic shooters already out there?

This depends on your definition of "generic shooter." If you mean how does it compare to games like Call of Duty and Battlefield, this may be a nice change of pace. It's a hybrid of FPS and RPG, similar to Deus Ex in some ways. The RPG element definitely borrows heavily from Diablo. The weapons and gear you acquire are randomly generated. The FPS element is fairly standard. On top of all this is a decent story line, although it won't be winning any Oscars. Unlike what I consider to be "generic shooters" Borderlands features a storyline with memorable characters. The enemies AI in B2 is particularly challenging IMO, and almost always ties into the storyline in some way.

Also, HoC is correct about the humor. Unlike most shooters this game doesn't take itself too seriously. There are hilarious moments that take the edge off the action, and not just in the scripted scenes. Like when I shot at a Psycho Midget and rather than lunge at me like I expected (since he was carrying an axe) he ran from me. I went after him around the corner he disappeared around and there he was riding on the shoulders of a huge Goliath wielding a pair of LMGs. I was laughing hysterically as I torched them both with my fire weapon. Some of the voice acting is hilarious.

If you have ever enjoyed any kind of shooter and/or dungeon crawler and haven't played this or it's predecessor before I highly recommend it. Hours of fun and adventure.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
02-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Wait... there's a storyline?

As for the enemy A.I. I would say it is good but not as independant A.I.

The genuious only works in group warfare. Catch any one of the enemies alone, minus maybe some bosses, and it's like shooting fish in a barrel. as a group though the combination of enemy skills and weapons can be devestating. The whole trick of getting through the game is in knowing your enemy and planning for the horde.

I find personally that the only times I die or get near death are when I'm caught off gaurd by a new weapon or enemy type. Though I'm not nearly as far along as anyone else in this thread who is playing the game. And I am playing probably the easiest character type in the game. From what I've heard Gunzerker is the hardest because his skill set sucks.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
02-10-2012, 04:01 PM
I'll chime in on the storyline bit. All the rest is pretty typical stuff. Random loot, bad guys that shoot back, standard stuff. But the story, especially the humor, is really surprising for a FPS game. Well, not surprising for those who also played Borderlands since the predecessor had very much the same kind of humor.

So, if you have a quirky sense of humor and can appreciate such things in your blood-n-guts FPS, then you can't do much better than the two Borderlandses.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
02-10-2012, 04:15 PM
All I know is that it is fuckin' fun when baked... you don't really pick up on a lot that is going on, but I can assure you that it is entertaining.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 2 users Like frankiej's post
02-10-2012, 04:29 PM
(02-10-2012 03:29 PM)lucradis Wrote:  From what I've heard Gunzerker is the hardest because his skill set sucks.

Nuh-uh! Tongue

And I'm only level 17. Big Grin

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
03-10-2012, 06:33 AM
(02-10-2012 04:29 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(02-10-2012 03:29 PM)lucradis Wrote:  From what I've heard Gunzerker is the hardest because his skill set sucks.

Nuh-uh! Tongue

And I'm only level 17. Big Grin
I second this. Once you get a decent shotgun/pistol, you will be able to go all Hulk on your enemy's asses, especially with the action skill. The friend I'm playing with has a Gunzerker on lvl 23 and his shotgun allows him to kill Goliath's and the likes of them with two shots. Smile

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
03-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Currently level 44. I just figured out I can kill stuff by throwing useless guns.

[Image: a.baa-UN-fail-image.jpg]

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  In the Borderlands UnderTheMicroscope 8 668 07-07-2011 01:45 PM
Last Post: Unbeliever