Borderline Homeless

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2013, 01:06 AM
Borderline Homeless
Hey,

My life has been a long series of letdowns, leading up to my current predicament. My parents who reluctantly have me living with them already at the age of 31 are going to have me live in the garage soon. I have plenty of valuable skills. I am a very good tutor of science and math subjects for one, but I don't have a BS and my last university is holding my transcripts hostage over a petty debt.

I'm a veteran, but I have little to no resources to turn to where I'm at. I'm trying to get something going for a homeless veteran program that's 45 minutes away, (4 hours by bus since I don't own a vehicle), but I won't know if I qualify for a few weeks now. I've been spending my time posting fliers and business cards for my tutoring services, but so far no bites.

What I want to ask is, what bottom of the food chain advice might any of you have to offer? When you have nothing, what can you still get for yourself if pushed to the breaking point? I know how to use one phone app to get $5 within a week, but not much more that's reliable than that. Well, digging for recyclables is useful too, but not practical for the amount of energy and time it takes.

What type of work would you go to if you had to start over? What's your contingency plan for when life turns shitty? Thanks in advance for the help.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2013, 08:20 AM
RE: Borderline Homeless
(27-06-2013 01:06 AM)Philosophist Wrote:  Hey,

My life has been a long series of letdowns, leading up to my current predicament. My parents who reluctantly have me living with them already at the age of 31 are going to have me live in the garage soon. I have plenty of valuable skills. I am a very good tutor of science and math subjects for one, but I don't have a BS and my last university is holding my transcripts hostage over a petty debt.

I'm a veteran, but I have little to no resources to turn to where I'm at. I'm trying to get something going for a homeless veteran program that's 45 minutes away, (4 hours by bus since I don't own a vehicle), but I won't know if I qualify for a few weeks now. I've been spending my time posting fliers and business cards for my tutoring services, but so far no bites.

What I want to ask is, what bottom of the food chain advice might any of you have to offer? When you have nothing, what can you still get for yourself if pushed to the breaking point? I know how to use one phone app to get $5 within a week, but not much more that's reliable than that. Well, digging for recyclables is useful too, but not practical for the amount of energy and time it takes.

What type of work would you go to if you had to start over? What's your contingency plan for when life turns shitty? Thanks in advance for the help.

First - pay off that 'petty debt'.

Second - get a job to pay for school.

Third - finish your degree.

If it were me, I'd get a job at Starbucks - decent pay, good conditions, good benefits.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-06-2013, 08:33 AM
babysitting, dog walking, lawn mowing, house cleaning, places Wendy's & Starbucks, wait tables, convenience stores. What was your job in the military--meaning what did you actually do on a day to day basis?

I agree with Chas pay the 'petty' debt and get on with your life. Don't let petty things hold you back. Suck it up and move on with life.

send emails to the teachers in your local schools for the subjects you want to tutor. Go directly to the teacher. If there is a student who is failing (and actually cares enough to pull up their grade) then they can guide them your way.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
27-06-2013, 08:33 AM
Ehh Starbucks pays crap...

Definitely finish the degree, long term I would look into web/computing or healthcare as these are huge growth sectors.

Short term I used to make decent money lifeguarding and teaching swimming ($13 an hour as a HS kid) it's cheap to get certified and easy if you can swim....and pools are always looking for adults who can wrangle in their typically young staff.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
27-06-2013, 08:47 AM
(27-06-2013 08:33 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  babysitting, dog walking, lawn mowing, house cleaning, places Wendy's & Starbucks, wait tables, convenience stores. What was your job in the military--meaning what did you actually do on a day to day basis?

I agree with Chas pay the 'petty' debt and get on with your life. Don't let petty things hold you back. Suck it up and move on with life.

send emails to the teachers in your local schools for the subjects you want to tutor. Go directly to the teacher. If there is a student who is failing (and actually cares enough to pull up their grade) then they can guide them your way.

I was a crew chief for C-130s. I inspected aircraft and did basic maintenance. The same job on the outside requires a BS degree.

Paying off the debt is also not a choice. I'm at rock bottom 0. unable to pay for food or rent let alone $2000 saved.
27-06-2013, 08:55 AM
(27-06-2013 08:47 AM)Philosophist Wrote:  
(27-06-2013 08:33 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  babysitting, dog walking, lawn mowing, house cleaning, places Wendy's & Starbucks, wait tables, convenience stores. What was your job in the military--meaning what did you actually do on a day to day basis?

I was a crew chief for C-130s. I inspected aircraft and did basic maintenance. The same job on the outside requires a BS degree.

Paying off the debt is also not a choice. I'm at rock bottom 0. unable to pay for food or rent let alone $2000 saved.

go down to social services offices, they have programs to help you.

27-06-2013, 09:02 AM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2013 09:06 AM by Bows and Arrows.)
My brother is an airline mechanic, he doesn't have a BS, but does have a technical degree. They have other positions, which with your veteran resume would work. He is single with no responsibilities so he usually takes a contract job for 5 months, takes 2 months off, then picks up another. He sent me an email awhile back with some info about contractor jobs. Where are you located? USA? city?

Here's some info he sent me:
Quote:The biggie in the traveling contract biz is JSFirm. Post a resume' there and recruiters call you. You can also submit your resume' directly to contracts that looks interesting. JSFirm also sends out a weekly want-ad e-mail.

The other method is to visit individual contract house websites. There are about 100 contract houses for aircraft mechanics. Plane techs, HQ Aero, SMART, Aerotech, are a few of the bigger houses.

Big jobs down your way are the Boeing 787 factory in Charleston, SC and Timco has a big operation in Greensboro, NC.

edited to add:
in certain cities he has become friends with people and share apartments, hotel rooms, etc

[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
27-06-2013, 12:39 PM
(27-06-2013 09:02 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  My brother is an airline mechanic, he doesn't have a BS, but does have a technical degree. They have other positions, which with your veteran resume would work. He is single with no responsibilities so he usually takes a contract job for 5 months, takes 2 months off, then picks up another. He sent me an email awhile back with some info about contractor jobs. Where are you located? USA? city?

Here's some info he sent me:
Quote:The biggie in the traveling contract biz is JSFirm. Post a resume' there and recruiters call you. You can also submit your resume' directly to contracts that looks interesting. JSFirm also sends out a weekly want-ad e-mail.

The other method is to visit individual contract house websites. There are about 100 contract houses for aircraft mechanics. Plane techs, HQ Aero, SMART, Aerotech, are a few of the bigger houses.

Big jobs down your way are the Boeing 787 factory in Charleston, SC and Timco has a big operation in Greensboro, NC.

edited to add:
in certain cities he has become friends with people and share apartments, hotel rooms, etc

I live in Laguna Niguel, California. Maybe a lot has changed since I last looked into that option. Thanks for the leads. Any other info you can recommend would be great. I'll check out JSFirm and see.
27-06-2013, 02:47 PM
To be perfectly honest, the job question is a no brainer.
You're not exactly in a position to be picky about what sort of job you get, thus my answer for what job to get; whatever one you can get.

If you're at the bottom, you gotta start from the bottom.
Shit don't fall in your lap overnight (unless you win lotto Dodgy )

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
27-06-2013, 03:50 PM
(27-06-2013 01:06 AM)Philosophist Wrote:  Hey,

places like this, there are many online

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man