Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2013, 11:50 AM
RE: Borderline Homeless
Just wondering how its going.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2013, 09:27 PM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2013 04:12 AM by Dark Light.)
The very basics...you have to give something to get something. You could start by possibly seeing if you could re-enlist for active or reserves. Try all the branches. If you get turned down by the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Air Force, Army Reserves, National Guard, Navy Reserves, Marine Corps Reserves, Air National Guard, Coast Guard Reserves then try again in a month. Someone will take you so long as you were discharged honorably, and not medically discharged. You can also sell what you own...blood and plasma. Walmart is now hiring all veterans as a priority....not that they're so patriotic, but Uncle Sam is giving them money for hiring vets. Highlight your leadership in the military, you just might land a supervisory position. They pay actually isn't that terrible for what it is. The benefits suck, but it's a start. You can also put up fliers a Walmart about your tutoring service. If you bust your ass you can get yourself out of this hole. I have confidence in you. If you are interested in going Navy I can provide resources for you, send me a PM. If you can get in either Active or Reserves volunteer for any and all deployment opportunities. You can make quite a but and spend virtually nothing on a deployment. Depending on your rank and time in service you could easily pocket 90k on up to 150k in the right place, even if you are and E-4/E-5, right around there. That's for a year deployment in Afghanistan, or similar shitty place. If you have other issues, such as medical and dental contact your local VA representative, there are usually liaisons to help you cut through the VA's bullshit at your local courthouse, but call ahead of time and make an appointment. Let him/her know what is going on, what paperwork you have, etc. and take all your paperwork (if any) down and let him know your situation. If you are in need of food there are certainly organizations to help out, but I would also encourage you to start growing some of your own food as well. It is a hell of a lot cheaper to grow your own, and it is better for you than you would even get at the grocery store. If your parents will allow you to make a small garden do it.

You can also take on odd jobs. Look to family and friends to see if they need any help. Basic construction, yardwork, etc. You can usually get a decent wage considering it is under the table work. Look at local Facebook groups. There are tons of them for selling and trading things, kind of like craigslist, but in my experience way more effective. Advertise your services as a worker and tutor on there. There is probably even several groups dedicated to local schools for people to buy sell and trade school books and supplies. It is a great place to advertise your tutoring service. Don't overlook tutoring opportunities for children either. Rich kids make bad grades too.

It sounds like you are the only one you have to care for, which in this case is great. I strongly urge you to try and stay on the legal side of things. You CAN do it. That being said I would do whatever it takes to survive.

Good luck, let us know how things are going.

04-07-2013, 11:01 PM
Costco. Even cart pushers make great pay for what they do. The Costco in my area pays $11-13 an hour for pushing carts. Amazing right? That's what you get when the founder caps his own salary at $300k (since he already has shares).

I heard Starbucks is actually a good place to work. Something about helping with tuition if you're a student.

Flip burgers if you have to man. Become a waiter. A good waiting job can actually make you enough money to buy a car, rent a home/apartment, and still leave you with a decent spending account. Just pick up a waiting job anywhere, even if the tips suck. Obtain the skills and move on. It's almost impossible not to get hired somewhere as a waiter. If it is hard, start as a dishwasher/busboy and express interest in becoming a waiter.

You can also bartend. If you can find a waiter job at a restaurant that has a full bar, you can start picking up bartending skills there.

The options are pretty limitless for someone who is able-bodied my friend.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
05-07-2013, 07:48 AM
There are companies that do market research and pay for consumers to share their opinion. It is sporadic $ so not something to count on, but still helps.

As a note of caution- there are many similar type companies that are scams. The two I list below are legitimate ones-that I personally have worked with on many, many, many occasions and have been paid by.

Much of it depends on your demographic and what info they are trying to get on whether or not you will qualify for a particular study.

For example: if a new shampoo is getting ready to hit the market and the manufacturer wants to know what 20 year old Latino women think of it---and you are male--then you won't qualify for the study. They only pay on the completed ones that you qualify for. Typically they send a qualifying set of 10 questions- and then choose from there who to bring into the study.

20/20 Market Research - many cities across the US - some online surveys, some you have to come into their office for a group session (2hrs). When you leave they hand you a $75-$100 Visa gift card for payment. Their emails will say we are looking for Males 25-35 years old (or whatever), and provide a link to the qualifying questions. So if you are a female-you know to not even bother with that one.
20/20 Market Research

Pinecone Research- this one is all online surveys. They can get tedious and boring. If you qualify, you can get up to $5 for filling it out. They use PayPal to pay out.
Pinecone

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller