Bored of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2013, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2013 09:09 AM by Cetaceaphile.)
Bored of Atheism
Thought I might say briefly why I stopped posting her so regularly. It is pretty much that I'm bored of atheist. I don't mean that I'm no longer an atheist, because I most definitely am, but I find the classic atheist persona something I can't really live to anymore.
Meeting up with groups of people based on this extremely wide brush of 'we don't believe in a god' doesn't really agree with me either. Most people I meet day to day do my head in, atheists included. Or should I say atheists especially, but not because atheists are particularly annoying, just that you get people of absolutely every type and quality who all end up in the same room because of one trait which doesn't really matter.
I see a lot of atheist groups doing good stuff, countering religious insanity on every turn, but I can't really contribute to that, and I find that all atheists at my level can do is make snide remarks and stand around churches looking smug and talking far too loud about how it's all bullshit, as though anyone in earshot could possibly care at that moment. I could hardly be part of that... At least not anymore. I remember doing that stuff as a teenager and it definitely didn't paint secularism in a good light for the people who had to bare the brunt of it.
I can be atheist without having to constantly reaffirm it every day by making redundant comments on redundant articles about redundant events. I support the fight for freedom and the cure to public ignorance, but I can in no way support the intellectual masturbation, bizarre new-age religions and teenage angst that the outspoken atheist community seems to be built on these days.

Been meaning to post this for a while, but it wasn't until today when I was really pushed to do it. I was visiting the city again and was visiting the cathedral just because I hadn't for a long time and I wanted to renew the Lincoln Cathedral section of my sketchbook. I was approached by a lady asking if I was interested in the sunday service, I declined, saying I'm an atheist. She laughed a little, then said "You know you're one of the first I didn't spot a mile off. Most of you guys seem to ignore the beauty of this place and start loudly proclaiming it to be a waste of tax money." I just said, "Aye. Not many people have respect anymore."

Might have just been something she says to every confirmed atheist to try start up a conversation (or maybe provoke an argument), but still it sort of pushed me to post this thread.

I can be an atheist with myself. I don't need to get a stroking from a million hands for it.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that as I'm English and live in England I don't have to put up with the same level of bull as Americans. Maybe if I was American I'd feel differently about the issues, but as it is now, this is how I feel.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Cetaceaphile's post
24-06-2013, 09:01 AM
Re: Bored of Atheism
Cool story bro.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
24-06-2013, 09:04 AM
RE: Bored of Atheism
I agree. I tend to not really think of it until it starts hitting close to home (new local laws about prayer in school for example) and those kinds of instances.

I come here because I found myself not being able to speak freely on my facebook page because its filled with religious people (many family members, neighbors, etc) and I just don't want to stir up a hornets nest and create family drama. Its easier for me to find someplace else, where there are like minded people,.....mostly liberal politically, don't mind the f-bomb in a post, can take a joke made at the expense of religion, etc.

I'm not here to debate or discuss philosophy.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
24-06-2013, 09:07 AM
(24-06-2013 08:56 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Thought I might say briefly why I stopped posting her so regularly. It is pretty much that I'm bored of atheist. I don't mean that I'm no longer an atheist, because I most definitely am, but I find the classic atheist persona something I can't really live to anymore.
Meeting up with groups of people based on this extremely wide brush of 'we don't believe in a god' doesn't really agree with me either. Most people I meet day to day do my head in, atheists included. Or should I say atheists especially, but not because atheists are particularly annoying, just that you get people of absolutely every type and quality who all end up in the same room because of one trait which doesn't really matter.
I see a lot of atheist groups doing good stuff, countering religious insanity on every turn, but I can't really contribute to that, and I find that all atheists at my level can do is make snide remarks and stand around churches looking smug and talking far too loud about how it's all bullshit, as though anyone in earshot could possibly care at that moment. I could hardly be part of that... At least not anymore. I remember doing that stuff as a teenager and it definitely didn't paint secularism in a good light for the people who had to bare the brunt of it.
I can be atheist without having to constantly reaffirm it every day by making redundant comments on redundant articles about redundant events. I support the fight for freedom and the cure to public ignorance, but I can in no way support the intellectual masturbation, bizarre new-age religions and teenage angst that the outspoken atheist community seems to be built on these days.

Been meaning to post this for a while, but it wasn't until today when I was really pushed to do it. I was visiting the city again and was visiting the cathedral just because I hadn't for a long time and I wanted to renew the Lincoln Cathedral section of my sketchbook. I was approached by a lady asking if I was interested in the sunday service, I declined, saying I'm an atheist. She laughed a little, then said "You know you're one of the first I didn't spot a mile off. Most of you guys seem to ignore the beauty of this place and start loudly proclaiming it to be a waste of tax money." I just said, "Aye. Not many people have respect anymore."

Might have just been something she says to every confirmed atheist to try start up a conversation (or maybe provoke an argument), but still it sort of pushed me to post this thread.

I can be an atheist with myself. I don't need to get a stroking from a million hands for it.

I don't think mocking religion is an issue, but I do find the way some people do it to be annoying. Having said that, I would love nothing more than to tour Europe and see the old cathedrals and churches. They are magnificent works of art and architectural feats of engineering. One can mock religion and its absurdities, while still admiring the art that spiraled out of it. In the same way that what the cavemen believed when they made their paintings is irrelevant to enjoying it. But the cavemen aren't trying to shove their beliefs down my throat and introduce their faith into schools under the guise of being scientific.

I can't stand people like The Amazing Atheist. He is loud, arrogant, and obnoxious. He might make good points, but I can't stand to listen to him to find out.

That is why Seth is so intriguing and likable, as well as Hitch and Dawkins and Harris. Sure, they can all sling the disdain for religion as well as anyone else, but they discuss it and talk about it rationally and calmly. That conversation is worth having, the snide remarks and self-satisfying circle-jerk behavior is annoying no matter who is doing it on any subject.

You're tired of the circle-jerk. I hear ya loud and clear mate Thumbsup

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
24-06-2013, 09:15 AM
I enjoy the differences in people, makes life interesting.

No reason to behave or post in any particular way or about any particular subject.

You can just talk about whatever is going on in your life and get input from people who won't bring a god into the mix.

Sounds like you are in a personal growth phase - always a good thing. Smile

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-06-2013, 09:26 AM
(24-06-2013 09:07 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I can't stand people like The Amazing Atheist.

That's 'cause you're a poopyhead. Tongue

About the OP: yeah, pretty much. But I'm also pretty much anti-theist, and as a prophet, it is my job to run my neck.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
24-06-2013, 09:45 AM
(24-06-2013 09:26 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(24-06-2013 09:07 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I can't stand people like The Amazing Atheist.

That's 'cause you're a poopyhead. Tongue

About the OP: yeah, pretty much. But I'm also pretty much anti-theist, and as a prophet, it is my job to run my neck.

Hey, BD, HoC has categorized us both as poopyheads. Yes

High five, bro. Smile

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
24-06-2013, 09:54 AM
(24-06-2013 09:45 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-06-2013 09:26 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  That's 'cause you're a poopyhead. Tongue

Hey, BD, HoC has categorized us both as poopyheads. Yes

High five, bro. Smile

We need a smiley for that category! Big Grin

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
24-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Yeah I mean I agree with you on most points but when the Fundee cancer starts to invade my congress and shut down government systems it changes the rules of the game. You need a strong, organized secular community to combat this stuff...and if that means putting up with other opinionated, self guided ass holes to get the job done, so be it.

[+] 2 users Like ridethespiral's post
24-06-2013, 04:30 PM
You don't visit the site and/or have to post here to 'affirm' anything.
It's more of a support-group. We think about the big questions (and the silly ones) with kindred spirits and stuff.
And if you feel supported enough, go and do whatever.
Atheism is a means, not an end.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
[+] 1 user Likes Caveman's post