Bored of Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2013, 11:46 PM
RE: Bored of Atheism
For me, the best part about being an atheist is not having to do anything. Religious folk pray and go to their house of prayer of choice and commit to traditions. Being an atheist means not being anything. It's not part of my identity or anything, and while I'm not ashamed of it, it's not something I often think about.

"Gee, what a bright and sunny day it is today. There is no God."

I guess what I'm saying is that I find it silly to actively be an atheist when my interpretation is that it's basically a lack of religious thought.

[Image: 4hs9p5.png]

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
-Stephen Colbert
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jkshrout's post
25-06-2013, 06:27 AM
You know you don't need to meet up in groups with other atheists right? Its not a religion. You have no requirements placed upon you.

I've never got the whole lets meet up once a week thing that some atheists do, its basically church for atheists and is utterly ridiculous.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
25-06-2013, 08:03 AM
(24-06-2013 09:04 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I agree. I tend to not really think of it until it starts hitting close to home (new local laws about prayer in school for example) and those kinds of instances.

I come here because I found myself not being able to speak freely on my facebook page because its filled with religious people (many family members, neighbors, etc) and I just don't want to stir up a hornets nest and create family drama. Its easier for me to find someplace else, where there are like minded people,.....mostly liberal politically, don't mind the f-bomb in a post, can take a joke made at the expense of religion, etc.

I'm not here to debate or discuss philosophy.

I hear ya Bows. Good post.

Diety Free in Dixieland
25-06-2013, 08:23 AM
Several things have happened since I came to this forum and why I have stayed, some have already been mentioned but your post got me to thinkng about them.

I was sincerely looking for advice on how to deal with my elderly, religious parents and, outside my wife, had no one else to turn to for input. Check ✓

I am surrounded by the religious and wanted to talk to others who are also free of superstition. ✓

I have crystallized my outlook and thinking regarding non-belief and in the process learned an enormous amount of history regarding Christian scripture. Seeing how others deal with the everyday barrage of fundies and Bible thumpers I glean an insight on how best to deal with it myself. ✓

I get a chance to interact with people around the globe, and while its true that most of us are here becasue of Atheism, the individuals here come from an amazing spectrum of disparate backgrounds with different ideas, knowledge and humor. (Where else could you find a thread titled "Pork coated bullets - send your victim straight to hell!"?

I get to vent, and this place provides an outlet. It's good for my well-being. I am now less angry than I was before I came to the forum and considerably better informed. ✓

I get the opportunity to share my own learnings with others who are going through some of the same painful experiences I went through. In my own way I feel I'm helping others. ✓

And finally the comraderie, vicarious experiences and laughs are priceless. ✓

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
25-06-2013, 08:28 AM
Rolleyes

If you think atheism, or being an atheist, has anything to do with having a certain persona or lifestyle, then you've completely failed to understand what atheism even is.

Why is this so hard for people to get?? Angry

All atheism is; is simply just not believing that a deity exists. THAT IS ALL.

There is no 'persona' to being an atheist, just a lack of belief. If you had a 'persona' as an atheist, that is not atheism, that's just you.

How is it even possible to be 'bored' of not believing something that isn't real? Ridiculous.

Drinking Beverage

"Humans always measure what they see in front of them to what they already know. They will deny anything outside of that. They are shallow lifeforms, so enthralled with superficial appearances that they fail to see the truth."
25-06-2013, 08:29 AM
(25-06-2013 08:28 AM)MrAttacus Wrote:  Rolleyes

If you think atheism, or being an atheist, has anything to do with having a certain persona or lifestyle, then you've completely failed to understand what atheism even is.

There is no 'persona' to being an atheist, just a lack of belief. If you had a 'persona' as an atheist, that is not atheism, that's just you.

How is it even possible to be 'bored' of not believing something that isn't real? Ridiculous.

Drinking Beverage

I blame youtube. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-06-2013, 11:05 AM

Drinking Beverage
I'm pretty sure that's what I said. I have a problem in that everyone DOES seem to push themselves into a certain lifestyle and persona, and of course the redundant social groups. And of course the self-affirmation stuff which you are doing now by rehashing the textbook definitions to someone as though they have never heard of atheism even though I'm pretty sure you know they have been an atheist longer than you've been alive.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
25-06-2013, 12:42 PM
(25-06-2013 11:05 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  

Drinking Beverage
I'm pretty sure that's what I said. I have a problem in that everyone DOES seem to push themselves into a certain lifestyle and persona, and of course the redundant social groups. And of course the self-affirmation stuff which you are doing now by rehashing the textbook definitions to someone as though they have never heard of atheism even though I'm pretty sure you know they have been an atheist longer than you've been alive.

How would length of time alive change or affect anything to do with having a lack of belief in something? Consider

Self-affirmation stuff? Textbook definitions? What the fuck are you talking about?

What I think you mean is: users here online have a certain subculture. But that has no correlation with how anyone that happens to be an atheist behaves.

Basically, you just don't want to join in anymore. You basically said just that by calling the social groups - which are obviously your real problem - "redundant."

Whatever. Who cares? Good for you, I guess?

Drinking Beverage

"Humans always measure what they see in front of them to what they already know. They will deny anything outside of that. They are shallow lifeforms, so enthralled with superficial appearances that they fail to see the truth."