Born-Again atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2014, 08:50 AM
Born-Again atheist
Hey there. A little about me, I live in the far SW chicago suburbs, libertarian, new atheist, skeptic.

For about 15 years, I was a born again christian. I went to a christian college (Chicago Bears fans probably know the one I'm talking about,) where I met my wife. I got a job in tech support. I went to a small pentecostal church, and one day during the winter, a small feather was seen flying around in the sanctuary. Everyone (except me and the wife) thought it was an "angel feather." I looked at my coat, and saw a bunch of them poking through the lining. Of course the put the little feather in a jar and kept it. We stopped going soon after that incident. I got elected evangelism officer at a baptist church, and I foolishly suggested in a meeting that we pray together for the community. Since this church was a church full of old people, I got so many stares after I suggested this, I felt like a serial killer. I shut up the rest of the meeting, and dropped out of my position. Then I got a part-time job in radio. I pretty much ran the commercials during NASCAR on this station, and since this was on Sunday, I pretty much stopped going to church after I got this job. At this point I started questioning my faith. Having to be forced to man the board during a Jesse Jackson show, which ran an hour or two before the race didn't help with my faith either. A few years later the Chicago white sux won the world series. I'm a Cubs fan (don't laugh). A friend of mine who is highly religious, anti-vax, homeopathic told me that her mother prayed for the white sux to win the world series before the mother died. I was constantly praying that my Cubs would win (we all know how that turned out.) This event, as trivial as it may seem, got me to thinking that the common conception of god as being omnipotent cannot possible be true. Let's say that someone prays hard for team A to win, and someone prays just as hard for team B to win it all. In a sport like baseball, a tie is not possible. Even if a tie IS possible, neither team wins. The bible does say if you pray for something you will get it. I didn't get it, so god wasn't listening to me. Either god was a cruel god, not omnipotent, or doesn't exist. This didn't push me towards atheism, rather I took up deism. The longer I was into this, the less sense it made. About three years ago I took up bicycle riding. I would ride my bike while my family was at church. I'd ride on average about 40 miles along the Illinois river valley. At one point, I stopped my bike during one of these rides, took in the beauty around me, and exclaimed "this is my church!" On that same trip, I rode my bike up an extremely steep hill that I've had trouble with in the past. I rode up it without stopping. A mile or two afterwards, I screamed at the top of my lungs "I CAN FUCKING DO ANYTHING!" I felt free for the first time in my life. Last year, around September or so, I came out to everyone, except my mother in law as an atheist. Not surprisingly, very few of my relatives or friends cared. One thing I've been blessed with (if I can use that word) is understanding friends and family.

I neglected to mention that I suffer from Dysthemia (a low grade constant depression, which sometimes flares up into full fledged major depressive episodes,) and Adult ADD. I'm on medications for this, and seeing a counselor. Now my counselor is a Catholic, but he respects my atheism, and the mention of god rarely comes up. IMHO depression is the absolute worst disease in the human experience, as it can take a normally healthy person and makes them think that they are worth nothing, and therefore, the depressed person stops trying. (just my opinion) A loving god would not allow depression.

Here I am now, atheist. I am happier than I ever have. My wife is religious, and takes our kids to church, even though most of them don't want to go. (my wife is also a sexual prude, as in she only gives it to me if I get all pissed of. Going on two months without at this point, but that's a separate discussion.)

I get a rush riding my bike. Last year I did 100 miles in 8 hours. On this particular sponsored ride, a woman rode past me on her bike (My average is about 13 MPH) and yelled at me "YOU'RE AWESOME!" This is the most encouraging thing I have ever heard from anyone, and it didn't come from my father, didn't come from my church, it came from a fellow rider.

Anyway, there you go. That's me.

A side note, conspiracy theorists love me. My last name is the same as an extremely high up in Hitler's Germany, My birthday is 9/11, I was offered a job at a nuclear power plant, I work in IT for a big pharma company, my son got treatment for his club foot at a Shirner's hospital, and at one point I was looking into joining the masons.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Inkyatari's post
13-04-2014, 09:39 AM
RE: Born-Again atheist
Hello , welcome. Allot to get off your chest Wink

Why was the pray for the community foolish ?

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
13-04-2014, 10:03 AM
(13-04-2014 09:39 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Hello , welcome. Allot to get off your chest Wink

It was foolish because I thought that the people on the board would be willing to pray for the community in our board meetings, in adjunct to the opening and closing prayer. Several of the members of the board said something like "I've been a member of this church for X number of years, and I pray for the community at home..." Pastor never once stood up for me.
13-04-2014, 12:53 PM
(13-04-2014 08:50 AM)Inkyatari Wrote:  Here I am now, atheist. I am happier than I ever have. My wife is religious, and takes our kids to church, even though most of them don't want to go. (my wife is also a sexual prude, as in she only gives it to me if I get all pissed of. Going on two months without at this point, but that's a separate discussion.)

This is a huge problem. Intimacy issues like this can be devastating to a marriage. If you can't talk to her about why she is the way she is, then you need to seek out a counsellor—not a pastor, but an actual counsellor.

If you want your marriage to endure, this needs to be addressed.

Go Cubbies! Go Blackhawks!!

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
14-04-2014, 12:21 AM
(13-04-2014 10:03 AM)Inkyatari Wrote:  
(13-04-2014 09:39 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Hello , welcome. Allot to get off your chest Wink

It was foolish because I thought that the people on the board would be willing to pray for the community in our board meetings, in adjunct to the opening and closing prayer. Several of the members of the board said something like "I've been a member of this church for X number of years, and I pray for the community at home..." Pastor never once stood up for me.

They always have this kind of black joke like that between the 1879 fundamentalists and the 1915 reformists of the Baptist Church of God, not to mention the Baptist Church of the Lord ...

... and welcome to the forum.

[Image: bee3ef62gw1ef7zd61ohng201e01emxc.gif]

Want something? Then do something.
14-04-2014, 01:33 AM
Wooosh!!!!!!@!
Gasp

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
14-04-2014, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2014 09:00 PM by GirlyMan.)
(13-04-2014 08:50 AM)Inkyatari Wrote:  IMHO depression is the absolute worst disease in the human experience, as it can take a normally healthy person and makes them think that they are worth nothing, and therefore, the depressed person stops trying. (just my opinion) A loving god would not allow depression.

I'm just trying to surf it, brother. Meds at least give me a surfboard. Can't really control the size of the waves though.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
19-04-2014, 03:48 AM
Nice to see another sprung from the prison of theism.

Welcome! Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.