Born and Raised Christian, now a Baby Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2015, 10:19 PM
Born and Raised Christian, now a Baby Atheist
Hi I'm Jay.

I was Born and Raised 3rd Generation United Pentecostal Church (UPCI) , a splinter from Assemblies of God, a very fundamentalist sect of Christianity - Oneness, Speaking in Tongues (mandatory), Fire and Brimstone (you better be ready), faith healing, holiness standards and the literal infallible word of God level experience. I believe my faith sincere and secured despite earlier doubts in my youth and was being groomed for local ministry work.

While there is a longer story here, the short version is over a period of time I came to a conclusion that the Christian God is not nearly as merciful as what is taught in the pulpit and that it was unlikely very many people would be saved. This conviction eventually (early this year, 2015) allowed my logical reasoning to slip its restraints and led me to the conclusion that not only was God not merciful He likely/hopefully didn't exist. The song 'And When I Die' would become my anthem, especially the chorus: I can swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

I've started to learn about a great big universe filled with wonder, to explore evolution and to discover the world anew. Science is becoming a new passion beside my love for programming. Reading books from Dawkins and Hitchens bolstered my confidence and helped me finally throw off residual effects of Pascal's Wager. I've been listening to a lot of Seth's pod casts as it continues to give me the confidence to no longer live in fear of Eternal Torment. I am finally Free (mostly) to live my life for me. It is a wondrous, glorious and sometimes terrifying thing.

I have some challenges ahead, my wife still professions to some sort of Christian belief and I have recently told her of my change in view (she is unhappy with this), my extended family (my side) is all mostly heavily UPCI believers who see me as backsliding, but don't know the extent. I am mostly alone in my view in my social circle, but I am working to fix that. Occasionally Pascal's Wager attempts to haunt me, but my budding rational mind is able to fend off such attacks.

I look forward to chatting with you fine folks!

~ Jay
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like jayc's post
05-09-2015, 10:25 PM
RE: Born and Raised Christian, now a Baby Atheist
Welcome to the dark side. Angel

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
05-09-2015, 10:26 PM
Welcome!
05-09-2015, 11:06 PM
Welcome, Jay. Hug
05-09-2015, 11:30 PM
Hello! Big Grin
06-09-2015, 12:15 AM
Welvome
06-09-2015, 02:18 AM
Welcome.

I've always been an atheist even though I went through 12 years of Catholic school (not counting kindergarten). I cannot say I can relate to your story, for obvious reasons, but it seems complicated. I'm glad you have seen the light of reason! Welcome, again!

There's gonna be on terrific party in the land of reason tonight! Tongue

"It says you have to be saved in order to go to heaven. The way I see it, you only have to be yourself to go to hell!" - Marilyn Manson, Copps Collesium, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. (1997)

Censored
06-09-2015, 02:45 AM
Baby ? Evil_monster

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
06-09-2015, 05:25 AM
Welcome.

Although - a correction.

All babies are born atheist.

Any religion you happen to pick up along the way is simply an accident, subject to your geographic placing.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
06-09-2015, 06:04 AM
Welcome.

Hope you brought kittens to sacrifice and babies to eat Wink

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.