Botanic garden of Belgium (The evolution greenhouse)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2012, 08:45 AM
Botanic garden of Belgium (The evolution greenhouse)
In the middle of the botanic garden of Belgium stands a fairly large greenhouse. In one of the sections they made this nice exibit on how evolution works and how it changed our world.

moving through the glass dome, you enter the world as it was lifeless, and while progressing you get to see mock ups of early plants followed by plants of the jura (the first real plant you get to see is the living fossil http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equisetaceae.) The greenhouse is made into proportion of the timeline and only the last meter talk about humans.

Really insightful and basically i'ts an anti-creationism museum

Recommended!
Should you ever visit Belgium, spend a day in its botanic garden. I'ts easy to reach close to Brussels

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2012, 09:01 AM
RE: Botanic garden of Belgium (The evolution greenhouse)
You mean... it's a museum?
A museum is a place that collects artefacts and knowledge about our past and our planet's past. I'm not sure how anti-creationism comes into this. It's simply a matter of "here's what we know", right?
15-04-2012, 09:15 AM
(15-04-2012 09:01 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  You mean... it's a museum?
A museum is a place that collects artefacts and knowledge about our past and our planet's past. I'm not sure how anti-creationism comes into this. It's simply a matter of "here's what we know", right?
I'ts some kind of wordplay

there is some kind of creationism museum in the world
but this is the opposite of a creationism museum Smile

I'ts not really a museum stacked with dusty stuff in dark hallways. I'ts a living scientific institute focusing on education, preservation and gaining knowledge. But i'ts a museum in a sense that its collections are open to visitors.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
15-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Fair enough Smile