Botched Lethal Injections in the US

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2014, 09:36 AM
Botched Lethal Injections in the US
I ain't a fan of the death penalty 'cause I think it's too lenient. "Why we letting the bastard off easy?" But what's up with this surge of botched lethal injections in the US? I've seen dozens of dogs euthanized and it was always painless and quick. Why we got these strange pharmaceutical cocktails when a dose of barbituates followed by a nitrogen bag and 3 minutes later bob's your uncle? I'm guessing somebody's got some monetary interest preventing this.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-07-2014, 09:39 AM
RE: Botched Lethal Injections in the US
(25-07-2014 09:36 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I ain't a fan of the death penalty 'cause I think it's too lenient. "Why we letting the bastard off easy?" But what's up with this surge of botched lethal injections in the US? I've seen dozens of dogs euthanized and it was always painless and quick. Why we got these strange pharmaceutical cocktails when a dose of barbituates followed by a nitrogen bag and 3 minutes later bob's your uncle? I'm guessing somebody's got some monetary interest preventing this.

Apparently the medication they used to use for lethal injections have become expensive and hard to come by, so prisons have been trying out their own recipes (so to speak) Hence why they've been having all these botched kills.
25-07-2014, 09:50 AM
(25-07-2014 09:39 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(25-07-2014 09:36 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I ain't a fan of the death penalty 'cause I think it's too lenient. "Why we letting the bastard off easy?" But what's up with this surge of botched lethal injections in the US? I've seen dozens of dogs euthanized and it was always painless and quick. Why we got these strange pharmaceutical cocktails when a dose of barbituates followed by a nitrogen bag and 3 minutes later bob's your uncle? I'm guessing somebody's got some monetary interest preventing this.

Apparently the medication they used to use for lethal injections have become expensive and hard to come by, so prisons have been trying out their own recipes (so to speak) Hence why they've been having all these botched kills.

Maybe they should call the veterinarians in. Drugs they use are cheap (dog whisperer wife says if the heart don't stop in a couple seconds they just inject more until it does). Not sure this whole "cocktail" business is warranted. Nitrogen bag would be cheapest, humane and virtually foolproof.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
25-07-2014, 09:50 AM
Yep - this is what you get when drug companies don't want to be seen to be involved.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
25-07-2014, 10:05 AM
Botched or intentional?

Green Mile maybe?

I'm not complaining.

Here is the background on the murders that earned the death penalty.

Joseph Wood shot his estranged GF and her father in cold blood.
Michael Wilson beat a guy with an aluminum baseball bat.
Dennis McGuire kidnapped, raped, and murdered a woman and murdered her 30 week fetus.
Clayton Lockett kidnapped, raped, and murdered a woman and also had a laundry list of criminal convictions.

I find it really hard to feel sorry for these pieces of human filth that, IMO, deserved a "botched" death penalty.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
25-07-2014, 10:08 AM
I feel very little sympathy for these people and that's not the root of my objection to capital punishment - but if we wish to show ourselves to be better than them - then humane ending of life is literally the least we could do.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post
25-07-2014, 10:17 AM
(25-07-2014 10:08 AM)CiderThinker Wrote:  but if we wish to show ourselves to be better than them - then humane ending of life is literally the least we could do.

My opinion differs in that.

I think in order to show ourselves better, we don't commit vile acts like they did.

IMO, once those acts are committed, etiquette is tossed out the window.

In order to be treated humanely, you have to be human. I feel they lost their humanity when they committed those acts as I think humanity goes beyond simple biology.

humanity =/= homo sapiens

Just what I think.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
25-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Re: RE: Botched Lethal Injections in the US
(25-07-2014 10:17 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(25-07-2014 10:08 AM)CiderThinker Wrote:  but if we wish to show ourselves to be better than them - then humane ending of life is literally the least we could do.

My opinion differs in that.

I think in order to show ourselves better, we don't commit vile acts like they did.

IMO, once those acts are committed, etiquette is tossed out the window.

In order to be treated humanely, you have to be human. I feel they lost their humanity when they committed those acts as I think humanity goes beyond simple biology.

humanity =/= homo sapiens

Just what I think.

But I thought you thought they didn't have a choice anyway? You don't pity people determined to commit harsh acts?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
25-07-2014, 10:48 AM
(25-07-2014 10:05 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Botched or intentional?

Green Mile maybe?

I'm not complaining.

Here is the background on the murders that earned the death penalty.

Joseph Wood shot his estranged GF and her father in cold blood.
Michael Wilson beat a guy with an aluminum baseball bat.
Dennis McGuire kidnapped, raped, and murdered a woman and murdered her 30 week fetus.
Clayton Lockett kidnapped, raped, and murdered a woman and also had a laundry list of criminal convictions.

I find it really hard to feel sorry for these pieces of human filth that, IMO, deserved a "botched" death penalty.

I would've kept them alive for as long as possible subjecting them to daily reminders of why I won't let them die. You can only botch death them once.

25-07-2014, 10:56 AM
I just don't get punitive "justice". Don't understand it. But it's nonetheless an aspect to some people's moral foundations, I guess...

What I really, really don't understand is advocating the death penalty even when it doesn't deter crime, when it costs more than life imprisonment, and when it is applied to false convictions...

... this is my signature!
[+] 6 users Like cjlr's post