Both sides of the coin

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
11-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Both sides of the coin
We are constantly asking theists to consider both sides of the coin. So, as a fun experiment, let's not be hypocritical!

Answer the following:

1) what, to you, is the most compelling argument against the existence of god?"

2) what, to you, is the most compelling argument FOR the existence of god?"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2013, 10:35 PM
RE: Both sides of the coin
1 A lack of evidence

2 umm well if they can't offer proof of their claims than there is no reason to believe in the existence of God.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
12-10-2013, 12:11 AM
I hate when a theist ask this type of question to me, because I just end up explaining why I can't answer it, not because I can't think of anything, but because it's a nonsensical question for an atheist. I hate these kind of questions because it sound like I'm just being evasive, or refusing to be "hypothetical" but even hypocritically it's non answerable if you don't believe.

1) what, to you, is the most compelling argument against the existence of god?"
As "Xinoftruden" said, the lack of evidence. But that also depends on your definition of "God". I can't get hypothetical unless I know what I'm being hypothetical about. I'm going to assume for the case of this question we are talking about the Christian "God". In the case of a Christian "God" I would honestly say the bible itself is the best proof of the nonexistence of that particular version of "God".

Again, not trying to act like I don't understand what hypothetical means, but I don't find anything, even remotely compelling for the existence of "God". Perhaps that's in part because I never believed. Maybe former believer could answer this question better than I, because they at least once seem to have found reason to believe, but I've never, not once heard a point someone's made about "God" that made me think for a second, "hey that's a good point".

Sorry, best I could do with that hypothetical.

12-10-2013, 12:18 AM
1. The Fossil Record. Especially as far as fundamentalist young earth creationists go. Also, taking a Mythology course.

2. Things that are, as yet, unexplained by science. Things that are seen as "miraculous" right now are easily attributed to an almighty god when there's no other explanation available.
12-10-2013, 09:02 AM
So this coin you speak of, the mythical quarter on one side and on the other side, every fantasy of being rich you've ever had.
One side is rational, real and corresponds to all observable physical laws that we are aware of.
The other side, pure delusion.

I consider delusion every day. I'm waiting for the moment that I can travel back in time, for when reality bends to my will, for the day I have superpowers and can fly across the world. I consider that side of the coin A LOT, but then reality sinks in and my mind decides that going out the front door in the morning is much better than flying out the window from my bedroom on the second floor.

It's not that we don't consider delusion, we consider it all the time, but we also happen to have this pesky rational side to our brains.

Compelling argument against the existence of ANY good god.
(The starving, suffering and slow torturous death of millions of children each year)

Compelling argument for the existence of a god
(none)

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
12-10-2013, 09:24 AM
(11-10-2013 10:24 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  1) what, to you, is the most compelling argument against the existence of god?"

1) With regard to an interventionist god (I can't argue against an absentee landLord)... it's that Science Works, Biches!

i.e. the results of no scientific experiment would be predictable and / or valid if there were gods who could have fucked with the process and / or the outcome.

Prayer works:
∴ No Nobel Prizes
∴ No point trying to discover anything
∴ No point teaching children anything other than "god did it".

2) Gwyneth Paltrow

Wink

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
12-10-2013, 09:29 AM
I haven't *seen* a compelling argument for a God. If he e.g. blew shit up and so forth as described in the Bible then I'd be more inclined to think that they Christees were onto something, that'd be a bit more compelling than the deafening silence.

Most compelling against existence... the general failure of religion to be useful for anything.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
12-10-2013, 10:48 AM
1) What, to you, is the most compelling argument against the existence of a Qusenoid?

2) What, to you, is the most compelling argument for the existence of Qusenoid?

I noticed spell check has no objections when the object of existence is some random thing with the indefinite article "a" in front of it. Make the object of existence a particular thing and it's a whole different question. Even spell check questions the existence of such a particular thing.

Define not a Qusenoid but Qusenoid so that one may be able to provide a compelling argument.

But woe to thee who would question spellcheck; for this, one is to burn in a space-time specific, virtually eternal, nonexistent hell. Angel

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
12-10-2013, 11:11 AM
(12-10-2013 10:48 AM)kim Wrote:  ...
Qusenoid

Shaped like a Qusen?

How many sides does it have?

Dodgy

12-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Consider So ... I am charged with providing ... compelling argument for and/or against the existence of ... something which may or may not ... have some sort of ... shape?

Well, ok. That clears it up. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post