Bought a bag - got a bible verse

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2012, 03:17 PM
RE: Bought a bag - got a bible verse
Ok, but what do you think they are really doing in all honesty? If I were to place a flyer with a bunch of jolly good quotes by Hitchens, Dawkins, or even Sagan, I promise you they would take issue with it even if it were relatively neutral. It's a form of propaganda. It doesn't matter if the verse is peaceful in nature, what matters is the free advertising.
But to each his own, really. Like I said it would irritate me as much as it does when the street corner guys shove a pamphlet in my face. But If I were to say anything it would be along the lines of "No thanks I'm not a subscriber."
Maybe I'm reading too much into it, I do do that. Been trying not to.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2012, 03:25 PM
I agree with Stark. They most likely meant nothing by it other than trying to bring a smile to your face. They probably assumed you were chrisitan so they were probably not really trying to convert you either. There are plenty of people throughout history who I admire and that I enjoy quotes from who were religious, but I don't consider quotes by them to be an endorsement of religion nor does it cause me to admire them any less. Sir Issac Newton was a great scientist and believed in god. Despite this I still admire him and his quotes (whether religious in nature or not) can still be inspiring to me because they provide some insight into his life. And some things in the bible are rather well written and read like poetry, so unless the quote was something on the order of John 3:16 I would not worry about it.

What was it by the way?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
04-01-2012, 03:33 PM
(04-01-2012 03:11 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Wow do I ever have a different take on this.

IF I was inclined to mention something (which I probably wouldn't) it would be to express thanks, not annoyance. Religion means something to those who are religous (mostly) and they are simply passing on something they find inspiring, in the hopes it inspires you as well. What about that is annoying, sneaky, or aggrivating? Sticking a flyer on my windshield advertising a church pisses me off, but no more than it would if the advert was for a pizza place. A bible quote included in my package as an attempt to make me feel all warm and fuzzy doesn't bother me in the least. Doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy either, but at least they're trying to spread good will in their own (somewhat delusional) way.

It probably depends on what the note says. In mine there was a flyer advertising I-forget-what (maybe a church or website, I forget), a pretty scrapbook-esque page with a fluffy jesus loves you quote and then a doomsday quote in simple typing on another page that threatened hell and eternal perishment. I guess it depends on how 'offensive' it is. Pizza hut doesn't threaten me with eternal damnation if I don't get a pizza from their fiery breathen. lol.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
04-01-2012, 03:48 PM
The OP said:

Quote: inside were a jolly bible verse

If there was more to it, there was no mention of that in the OP, so my response is to recieving a "jolly bible verse". So I agree the content is realevant, but even then, for me it's a battle I wouldn't pick. I figure if they think they can convert me by threatening me with eternal damnation, I feel sorry for them, and have bigger fish to fry. If they are just being nice, then...well...they are just being nice.

Either way, I couldn't justify the energy it would take to be annoyed.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
04-01-2012, 04:35 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2012 04:37 PM by germanyt.)
(04-01-2012 03:11 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Wow do I ever have a different take on this.

IF I was inclined to mention something (which I probably wouldn't) it would be to express thanks, not annoyance. Religion means something to those who are religous (mostly) and they are simply passing on something they find inspiring, in the hopes it inspires you as well. What about that is annoying, sneaky, or aggrivating? Sticking a flyer on my windshield advertising a church pisses me off, but no more than it would if the advert was for a pizza place. A bible quote included in my package as an attempt to make me feel all warm and fuzzy doesn't bother me in the least. Doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy either, but at least they're trying to spread good will in their own (somewhat delusional) way.

Exactly this.
(04-01-2012 03:48 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  The OP said:

Quote: inside were a jolly bible verse

If there was more to it, there was no mention of that in the OP, so my response is to recieving a "jolly bible verse". So I agree the content is realevant, but even then, for me it's a battle I wouldn't pick. I figure if they think they can convert me by threatening me with eternal damnation, I feel sorry for them, and have bigger fish to fry. If they are just being nice, then...well...they are just being nice.

Either way, I couldn't justify the energy it would take to be annoyed.

And this.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
04-01-2012, 04:37 PM
I still think you should send her/him a bloody Satanic Bible. IN fact, start sending everyone you buy from a bloody Satanic Bible with a "Thank You" note. See what happens. Call it an "experiment in human understanding".

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
04-01-2012, 06:49 PM
I'm with Stark here. It wouldn't bother me anymore than opening up a fortune cookie at a Chinese Restaurant. They both carry the same weight with me. I just chalk it up to benign ignorance. There's plenty of that going around.

Now the fact that the product didn't perform as advertised, well that would piss me off.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
04-01-2012, 06:51 PM
(04-01-2012 06:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm with Stark here. It wouldn't bother me anymore than opening up a fortune cookie at a Chinese Restaurant. They both carry the same weight with me. I just chalk it up to benign ignorance. There's plenty of that going around.

Now the fact that the product didn't perform as advertised, well that would piss me off.

Dammit, Girly! I just came in here to make a fortune cookie reference and you had to go and spoil it. Sheesh!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel