Bowie knives, swords, spears, daggers and machetes, now legal in Texas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2017, 12:34 PM
RE: Bowie knives, swords, spears, daggers and machetes, now legal in Texas
(16-07-2017 11:42 AM)adey67 Wrote:  ... fear of home invasion death crime etc is a recurring feature of the apologetics of gun ownership and unfettered access to firearms , my point is its so hard to know how much of that is true and how much is an excuse to have as much firepower as one desires just for the hell of it.

IMO, it's mostly an excuse (for something or other -- I don't pretend to know what). I've never owned a gun, and I've never lived in fear. In most of the US, the risk of "home invasion" is negligible.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2017, 01:15 PM
(17-07-2017 12:34 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(16-07-2017 11:42 AM)adey67 Wrote:  ... fear of home invasion death crime etc is a recurring feature of the apologetics of gun ownership and unfettered access to firearms , my point is its so hard to know how much of that is true and how much is an excuse to have as much firepower as one desires just for the hell of it.

IMO, it's mostly an excuse (for something or other -- I don't pretend to know what). I've never owned a gun, and I've never lived in fear. In most of the US, the risk of "home invasion" is negligible.
Difficult for me as I am very attached to my American friends and don't wish to rock the boat, perhaps cowardice but I'm sure they have reasonable reasons in many respects.
17-07-2017, 01:22 PM
(17-07-2017 01:15 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 12:34 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  IMO, it's mostly an excuse (for something or other -- I don't pretend to know what). I've never owned a gun, and I've never lived in fear. In most of the US, the risk of "home invasion" is negligible.
Difficult for me as I am very attached to my American friends and don't wish to rock the boat, perhaps cowardice but I'm sure they have reasonable reasons in many respects.

If you've ever seen the rhetoric coming from the NRA, it looks a lot like hell fire and damnation style preaching. It probably affects the churchgoers the same way, with the fear. For the most part, I simply roll my eyes, and I own guns. I don't have them for protection, but for target shooting. Though that's kind of a joke, since I was so busy at work and now that I'm retired, I simply haven't made time for any shooting. It's been about 5 years, now. I take them out once in a while and fondle clean them, because I don't want them to rust away.
17-07-2017, 02:34 PM
(14-07-2017 02:29 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Same in California. I've seen people carrying swords around before. Kinda dumb in the general population, though, always getting in the way.

Yeah, it can occasionally lead to complications.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
17-07-2017, 02:49 PM
(14-07-2017 03:20 PM)DLJ Wrote:  From an evolutionary perspective, this probably means less Texans.

Meh.

Young Americans, Under selection Pressure, think they're Heroes.

Angel

Frankly, I was surprised to discover that Texas, of all places, had a law against Bowie knives.
After all, they're named for a guy who died defending the Alamo during the glory days of the revolution.

--
Dr H

[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
17-07-2017, 03:19 PM
(14-07-2017 08:41 PM)epronovost Wrote:  In what world do you live in in which people who carry weapon to go buy groceries, watch a movie or heat diner, etc. feel the need to carry swords around?
This one. Hell, I just assume that at least half the people I see in the grocery store are armed.

Swords? OK. I agree that someone who feels the need to carry a sword around in public probably has some issues they're compensating for. Personally, I don't have that need, but I can sympathize with those who do.
Flex

Quote:What sort of message does it send to people around them? It's like if you met a guy in a hazmat suit in the middle of Boston on June 20th. Either shit is really going down and you were not aware of it or this guy might be a little bit crazy.
Yeah, I think that every time I see all those people dressed as clowns, downtown . . . Consider

Quote:To me, a person with a weapon in the middle of a city or a suburban zone, where over 80% of people in my country live, is a person who either expect to be attacked or wants to attack people.
I can't speak to Texas, but I can say that in most of the states I've lived in, just because something is legal in the state doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to be legal in every location in the state -- counties and municipalities can and do make their own local laws about such things.

Even some individual buildings have their own laws. I could legally carry a concealed firearm in my state, my county, and my city. But if I go downtown to get an IRS form from the federal building, I can't even have it in my car, if the car is parked on the same block. And there are four very burly uniformed men at the door to remind me of this regulation.

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
17-07-2017, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2017 04:15 PM by Dr H.)
(14-07-2017 09:02 PM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote:  
(14-07-2017 08:54 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Not sure of OLB's source, but I can tell you that I can snap an antenna off a car and ram it through your eye into your brain without you suspecting anything before it happens. In a real life-or-death situation, a finger can perform the damage.

Sources? I mean, evidence please?

I'm thinking it doesn't happen that often, but it's certainly happened.

The finger? I think we're kinda into ninja movies, at this point. I can believe it's possible, but I don't know of any case where its actually been done. Maybe someone else has a link?

--
Dr H

17-07-2017, 03:32 PM
(14-07-2017 11:16 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(14-07-2017 04:24 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Bah. They didn't legalize war hammers. Boo on you, Tex.

That's on the agenda for the next legislative session.

I am waiting for the okay on carrying a flame thrower.

Here you go.

Of course, while carrying this device may be legal here, you will not be allowed to fill it yourself, seeing as how Oregon is one of two states in which "pump your own gasoline" is illegal.

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
17-07-2017, 03:38 PM
(15-07-2017 01:23 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And, if you don't like the laws in Texas, best advice - don't go to Texas.....

Their laws don't bother me.

But they've inflicted entirely too many presidential candidates on me.

--
Dr H

17-07-2017, 03:51 PM
(16-07-2017 03:50 AM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  The answer is obvious. Don't ban weapons, ban people. You could build a wall around Texas to keep people out; and make the (ex-)Texans pay for it. (I have no idea where that last idea came from. Angel )

There you go. I've always supported building a wall on our southern boarder,
just so long as it was also on Texas' northern border.

I'd also support giving Texas back to Mexico, except I don't think Mexico would have it.

--
Dr H