Bowie knives, swords, spears, daggers and machetes, now legal in Texas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2017, 06:48 PM
RE: Bowie knives, swords, spears, daggers and machetes, now legal in Texas
(17-07-2017 06:45 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  I'm pretty sure I mentioned this recently in some thread somewhere here. Our local Jesus freak has recently reappeared and gone back to littering the shoulder of the highways with hand made signs that say "Jesus is Coming." He parks his truck by the road with huge bible quote signs on it too and tries to flag down people to talk to him. Succeeds sometimes.

I accidentally sat at the table next to him in Taco Bell recently without noticing it was him until too late. I had not seen him around in several months since he got kicked out of Walmart for loudly proselytizing. He had a new addition to his attire. A pistol strapped in a holster. I had no reason to think it was NOT loaded.

One anecdotal incident does not a trend make. I can also show you a video of armed people trying to get seated at restaurants where they are fully legally allowed and within their rights to open carry and get turned away.

My point was people walking around openly carrying loaded weapons isn't a common, or even rare occurrence, its' like super fucking rare. And I've lived and been in places where it was totally legal for them to do it. Still was rare.

Edit^ However.... A Christian with a gun is a fucking terrifying thing to see if you ask me >.>

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2017, 06:56 PM
(17-07-2017 06:34 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 06:15 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Online biker carries his weapon with him everyday for the last 15 years. Is it loaded or unloaded? Me thinks it's loaded.

Check the bottom of my post. I covered concealed carry licences...... Clearly you didn't even bother to fucking read before responding.

They don't give out CC permits to just anyone that asks for one. You have to have a reason (business owner or something that regularly has large amounts of cash you transport between your business and the bank, or like with the job I had carrying level idk 3? I forget controlled substances for your work. I regularly had morphine in my car, so when people asked me what I did I jokingly told them I was a drug dealer. I mean it was medical morphine I was delivering to the VA Hospital in Barstow California.... but still morphine. Some of my stops were very sketchy and I was concerned I might get targeted, especially if anyone found out that at any given moment I'd have about 100,000 dollars in controlled drugs in my car. Those are the kinda things they give CC permits out for..... your position is so uninformed it's laughable. And they won't stop making exceptions, I'm damn sure security and others in high risk jobs in pretty much every country have ways to get weapons legally)

Missed that bit eh?

I don't think that's true everywhere...the idea that you have to have a reason to get a concealed carry permit.

I was recently carrying a purse made for concealed carry...I kept my work keys in the pocket made for a handgun. You can buy them everywhere. It's that common, even for women.

Here is a link to what you need to get CC in TX...no reasons are listed.

https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/chl/

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
17-07-2017, 07:17 PM
(17-07-2017 06:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 06:34 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Check the bottom of my post. I covered concealed carry licences...... Clearly you didn't even bother to fucking read before responding.

They don't give out CC permits to just anyone that asks for one. You have to have a reason (business owner or something that regularly has large amounts of cash you transport between your business and the bank, or like with the job I had carrying level idk 3? I forget controlled substances for your work. I regularly had morphine in my car, so when people asked me what I did I jokingly told them I was a drug dealer. I mean it was medical morphine I was delivering to the VA Hospital in Barstow California.... but still morphine. Some of my stops were very sketchy and I was concerned I might get targeted, especially if anyone found out that at any given moment I'd have about 100,000 dollars in controlled drugs in my car. Those are the kinda things they give CC permits out for..... your position is so uninformed it's laughable. And they won't stop making exceptions, I'm damn sure security and others in high risk jobs in pretty much every country have ways to get weapons legally)

Missed that bit eh?

I don't think that's true everywhere...the idea that you have to have a reason to get a concealed carry permit.

I was recently carrying a purse made for concealed carry...I kept my work keys in the pocket made for a handgun. You can buy them everywhere. It's that common, even for women.

My coworker has one of those, and carries every day. Loaded. Of course she also has a few knives and a set of brass knuckles in the purse as well.

She's a...she's nice . We get along pretty good. Sadcryface

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
17-07-2017, 07:27 PM
(17-07-2017 06:27 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 06:04 PM)TheBear Wrote:  I do apologize if I misrepresented what you were saying. That was not my intention, and I hate it when people snip my remarks out of context.

In its own separate line, your remarks were "Now packing a gun, is simply an escalation on carrying a knife. Peep's in my country don't get to carry guns into public places."

Please clarify so I don't misunderstand? Do you live in a country where everyone is barred from carrying guns in public places?

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/publi...l#DLM72944

Quote:51 Unlawful carriage or possession in public place of firearm, airgun, pistol, ammunition, explosive, or restricted weapon
(1)
Every person commits an offence and is liable on conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $4,000 or to both who, except for some lawful purpose,—
(a)
carries in a public place; or
(b)
has in his possession in any public place—
any firearm, airgun, pistol, ammunition, explosive, or restricted weapon.
(2)
In any prosecution for an offence against subsection (1), in which it is proved that the defendant was carrying in any public place or had in his possession in any public place any firearm, airgun, pistol, ammunition, explosive, or restricted weapon, the burden of proving the existence of some lawful purpose shall lie on the defendant.

Most of our police don't even get to carry guns

Thanks. Thumbsup

I do have a follow-up question. Has anyone ever been shot in a public place in New Zealand after that law was enacted?
17-07-2017, 07:43 PM
(17-07-2017 07:27 PM)TheBear Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 06:27 PM)Stevil Wrote:  http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/publi...l#DLM72944

Most of our police don't even get to carry guns

Thanks. Thumbsup

I do have a follow-up question. Has anyone ever been shot in a public place in New Zealand after that law was enacted?

I think most of these are shootings
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ma...ew_Zealand

Here is a well known (in NZ) case.
https://teara.govt.nz/en/video/26486/william-bell
17-07-2017, 07:46 PM
(17-07-2017 07:17 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 06:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I don't think that's true everywhere...the idea that you have to have a reason to get a concealed carry permit.

My coworker has one of those, and carries every day. Loaded. Of course she also has a few knives and a set of brass knuckles in the purse as well.

She's a...she's nice . We get along pretty good. Sadcryface

When I worked for an HVAC company the owner (a woman) carried concealed. She did some charitable work for some people who couldn't afford a new AC unit and was often in some pretty bad neighborhoods. She was often out on jobsites late at night for emergencies too.

The CPA I used to work for had a weapon strapped to his ankle all the times. I didn't know that till nearly two years in when we had a conversation about the CC laws. I knew he had guns...man was co-owner of a hunting ranch in south TX and I figured he had a weapon in his truck but I didn't know he was packing in the office every day.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
17-07-2017, 07:48 PM
(17-07-2017 07:43 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 07:27 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Thanks. Thumbsup

I think most of these are shootings

How could that be, if people in New Zealand don't get to carry guns in public places?
[+] 1 user Likes TheBear's post
17-07-2017, 07:52 PM
(17-07-2017 07:48 PM)TheBear Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 07:43 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I think most of these are shootings

How could that be, if people in New Zealand don't get to carry guns in public places?
I think you are taking my loose talk to the extreme.
I was meaning that legally people don't do that. And generally they don't. There are going to be exceptions though. Of course.
But if you take what I say to the extreme (in order to prove your point), then yeah, we aren't going to be able to have much of a conversation.
17-07-2017, 08:08 PM
(17-07-2017 07:52 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 07:48 PM)TheBear Wrote:  How could that be, if people in New Zealand don't get to carry guns in public places?
I think you are taking my loose talk to the extreme.
I was meaning that legally people don't do that. And generally they don't. There are going to be exceptions though. Of course.
But if you take what I say to the extreme (in order to prove your point), then yeah, we aren't going to be able to have much of a conversation.

No. Not trying to go to extremes. Just pointing out that no matter the laws and restrictions, they only apply to law-abiding citizens and do nothing to prevent a criminal from shooting someone in a public place. Add to your list of mass shootings the one-on-one shootings. I'll give you another example - restraining orders don't protect the victim if the perpetrator is bent on doing harm to his ex-wife/girlfriend.
[+] 1 user Likes TheBear's post
17-07-2017, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2017 08:29 PM by Stevil.)
(17-07-2017 08:08 PM)TheBear Wrote:  No. Not trying to go to extremes. Just pointing out that no matter the laws and restrictions, they only apply to law-abiding citizens and do nothing to prevent a criminal from shooting someone in a public place.
I don't believe that to be true.

If guns are prolific in society then doesn't that become a supply line for the crims?

Do you know how hand guns get into the hands of criminals in your country? How do they get into the country?
I don't know, so I'm asking you, not trying to bait you or anything.

If you take a look at gun death statistics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co..._rate#List

Death rate per 100,000 by homicide
USA 3.43
NZ 0.18

We must be doing something right in comparison to USA.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post