Bowie knives, swords, spears, daggers and machetes, now legal in Texas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2017, 09:05 PM
RE: Bowie knives, swords, spears, daggers and machetes, now legal in Texas
(17-07-2017 08:20 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 08:08 PM)TheBear Wrote:  No. Not trying to go to extremes. Just pointing out that no matter the laws and restrictions, they only apply to law-abiding citizens and do nothing to prevent a criminal from shooting someone in a public place.
I don't believe that to be true.

If guns are prolific in society then doesn't that become a supply line for the crims?

Do you know how hand guns get into the hands of criminals in your country? How do they get into the country?
I don't know, so I'm asking you, not trying to bait you or anything.

If you take a look at gun death statistics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co..._rate#List

Death rate per 100,000 by homicide
USA 3.43
NZ 0.18

We must be doing something right in comparison to USA.

Maybe you are taking better care of the mentally ill? Just to toss that out there. There have to be many more societal factors, like, the number of unwed mothers, gangs, etc.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
17-07-2017, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2017 09:53 PM by JesseB.)
(17-07-2017 08:20 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 08:08 PM)TheBear Wrote:  No. Not trying to go to extremes. Just pointing out that no matter the laws and restrictions, they only apply to law-abiding citizens and do nothing to prevent a criminal from shooting someone in a public place.
I don't believe that to be true.

If guns are prolific in society then doesn't that become a supply line for the crims?

Do you know how hand guns get into the hands of criminals in your country? How do they get into the country?

USA 3.43
NZ 0.18

The US has a gun violence problem, however you're mistaken if you think hardened criminals are buying legal guns to commit illegal acts. Again your point is asinine, and just plain wrong.

Guns carry with them serial numbers which can be traced. If you know you intend to commit a crime the last fucking thing you're going to do is use a traceable fucking weapon. Unless you steal it (oh wait that wasn't legally obtained holy shit). Or you will purchase one smuggled in, you'll do whatever you can to ensure the crime can't be traced to you.

I can't believe you just ran with this line of reasoning /facepalm ..... didn't you put ANY thought in before typing this?

Incidentally.... I know where you can acquire firearms illegally around here. Wanna put this to the test?

Edit^ Gun related homicides is largely a cultural thing in many ways. I mean fuck man, you new Zealanders got the fucking life, I've considered moving there many times. Imagine what American's think about Canadians, the most pleasant polite people you'll ever fucking meet. There's huge culture differences that play into this. I'd love to move to a more peaceful place, however I'd be more unwanted there than here because I'm too strong willed and independent. It doesn't lend itself well to docile populations that never question the fucking government until things blow the fuck up (look up various riots around the world, in peaceful places where shit suddenly gets real).

Also it's nice that you compare population size per population size but you have to not forget new Zealand is fucking smaller than almost every STATE in the fucking US. There are unique problems that go along with that you're not taking into account.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
17-07-2017, 09:45 PM
(17-07-2017 09:05 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 08:20 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I don't believe that to be true.

USA 3.43
NZ 0.18

Maybe you are taking better care of the mentally ill? Just to toss that out there. There have to be many more societal factors, like, the number of unwed mothers, gangs, etc.

Fun little story bout gangs. I was living in downtown Bakersfield this was right after my divorce. The Gang police squad was down on one of their daily raids across the street and I heard something in my back yard. Poked a peek through the window (always keep the blinds closed so people don't go peeking in looking for shit to steal) and 3 guys were hiding in my back yard.... So.... I called the Sheriff. After taking my report the lady asked if I wanted an officer to knock on the door when the situation was clear. My response was, "No I don't want you fucking telling every gang banger around here where I fucking live and who called the damn cops! If anyone comes to my door I am fucking armed (back then I had a .22) and I'm shooting through the fucking door. Don't come here." She had enough sense to get what I meant and no one came to my door after the thugs were arrested.

Edit^ By the way this is the kinda life a fucking war on drugs will get you.... It was the same during the fucking prohibition till we had enough sense to knock that shit off.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
17-07-2017, 10:04 PM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2017 10:08 PM by JesseB.)
Meh the gang story is boring, wanna hear a fun story? How bout the time I led a cop on a chase and somehow didn't get arrested or ticketed!

So I was driving to my aunts, my grandma had just had a stroke and I was the only one present (shortly before this) she had just got back home with my aunt, and this dick in a green SUV was like driving 15 fucking miles per hour in a 50 zone >.< So I was riding his ass all the way home. We got to this 3 way stop he looked like he was gonna go left and my aunt lived right, so I was like phew fucking asshat.... then the SUV went right.... OH FUCK ME. He started tailing me so I tried to ditch him it eventually escalated into some pretty high speeds mostly just going around in circles cause I didn't wanna go too far out of my way to ditch this guy. Then he turned his lights on.... I was like.... "Oh..."

I pull over, he comes up and says "What's going on?" I said, "well I was trying to get home and I was kinda tailgating this guy then he started stalking me, I thought he was gonna bash my head in with a baseball bat or something until the lights came on then I realized it was a cop." He said "Oh......." then asked "well why were you tailgating," I told him about my grandmas stroke and how I was stressed, then he came back with... "well stop tailgating" and got in his car and drove off.

o.0
#trolledbythepopo

Big Grin
17-07-2017, 11:12 PM
(17-07-2017 09:41 PM)JesseB Wrote:  The US has a gun violence problem, however you're mistaken if you think hardened criminals are buying legal guns to commit illegal acts. Again your point is asinine, and just plain wrong.

Guns carry with them serial numbers which can be traced. If you know you intend to commit a crime the last fucking thing you're going to do is use a traceable fucking weapon. Unless you steal it (oh wait that wasn't legally obtained holy shit).
That's the point. Are some of the guns stolen ones? How did they get into the country?

BTW, you appear really emotional, really angry. Are you able to have discussions without getting upset?
17-07-2017, 11:18 PM
I wish I could record some of the conversations I regularly have with gang affiliated inmates. They barely live in the same plane of existence. Even in Canada. Countries that don't have to deal with that shit to the extent that we do have a huge advantage when it comes to combating violence, with or without guns.

From my own biased experience, I think our best bet towards reducing violence would be decriminalizing most drugs and treating them as a public health issue instead.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
17-07-2017, 11:27 PM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2017 11:58 PM by JesseB.)
(17-07-2017 11:12 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 09:41 PM)JesseB Wrote:  The US has a gun violence problem, however you're mistaken if you think hardened criminals are buying legal guns to commit illegal acts. Again your point is asinine, and just plain wrong.

Guns carry with them serial numbers which can be traced. If you know you intend to commit a crime the last fucking thing you're going to do is use a traceable fucking weapon. Unless you steal it (oh wait that wasn't legally obtained holy shit).
That's the point. Are some of the guns stolen ones? How did they get into the country?

BTW, you appear really emotional, really angry. Are you able to have discussions without getting upset?

What I appear to be and what I am are two totally different things, and dude? What's your point with that? Just being a shit? Not your business either way dude.

Gun theft happens sometimes, but you know guns get smuggled in much the same way drugs are too, either way your point is again asinine. I'm getting a bit tired of having to constantly point that out, hence the annoyed tone of voice responding to you. Dude... I'll tell you what I tell the Christians.... Fucking try harder. It's annoying when you say such blatantly wrong things. I even went to the fucking trouble of POINTING to you LITERALLY where you can find solid ground to base an argument to support your position is!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like dude, you're makin me cry man...

You can do better right? Please do.
And... if you think I'm "upset" well.... I feel bad for you, I've been laughing my ass off almost all night with the insults n shit I write, I really enjoy the literary licence and hidden jokes I put into the things I write. What I want is a challenge, and so far you have not been.

To be very clear with you, I've told you multiple times I do not support or advocate the "gun rights" side. I also do not support the "Ban all guns" side. I really don't fucking know what the right answer is to this debate, but what I do know is if we base a solution on lies and logical fallacies and just fucking ignorance the way you've been doing.... well 1 it won't accomplish the goals you seem to want to do, and 2 Holy fucking shit I get annoyed by societies arbitrary rules and it'll fucking annoy me to no end. Lets try coming up with a smarter solution. It starts with you. Your the one who seems to care enough to say ridiculous uninformed things and expect everyone to mindlessly agree with you.

I haven't been angry, I've been ... well kinda not nice to you, I've insulted you and slapped down your stupid arguments, but that'll all change the INSTANT you say something I can't hear mindlessly repeated on every major news network 100 times a day. I highly support you thinking for yourself and stop letting whatever media outlet you allow to brainwash you think for you.... (that sounded way smoother in my head lol). I'm not obligated to be nice to you if all you're bringing to the table is mindless bullshit you're parroting off the fucking TV. Again Try harder.

Again Statistics statistics statistics statistics, then try to educate yourself or at least try to empathize a little with us poor fucks that gotta actually deal with this shit every day. Rather than pulling so much shit out of your ass and flinging it about all proud of yourself. And if you don't know, instead of making just stupid assertions why not try fucking asking a question for once! I promise it'll help you so much if you try it.

This public service announcement has been brought to you by the Letter Q and the color dildo.

Edit^ There's very few ways you could upset me and you can't do fucking any of those things to me through a computer screen. K? Smile Have a nice day.

Big Grin
17-07-2017, 11:41 PM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2017 12:02 AM by JesseB.)
(17-07-2017 11:18 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I wish I could record some of the conversations I regularly have with gang affiliated inmates. They barely live in the same plane of existence. Even in Canada. Countries that don't have to deal with that shit to the extent that we do have a huge advantage when it comes to combating violence, with or without guns.

From my own biased experience, I think our best bet towards reducing violence would be decriminalizing most drugs and treating them as a public health issue instead.

This... This right here.... Stivil could really do well if he like tried thinking, cause maybe then He'd come to the correct answers in life like you have Smile

Like my mom used to say, don't put the cart before the horse. Or don't put your shoes on before your pants. Or even better Don't put your pants on before your undies or you'll really look silly! So passionate people are about banning guns thinking it'll solve all the worlds troubles when in reality they are solving the problems in the wrong order, and in fact they may be solving the wrong problems entirely. Now I won't say something so asinine like poverty creates crime, cause that's bullshit. Poverty may influence what types of crime happen, but.... Crime happens across all cultures, all economic statuses at about the same rate. I have no solid evidence for this but having been around a lot of rich and poor,and reading about the various crimes of the rich I am personally convinced it's likely this way. It's only the poor that ever get punished for it usually, and then it also gets lop sided against people with various skin tones (I won't say race anymore cause race is a made up bullshit concept with no basis in science, we're all fucking humans. We don't even have a fraction of the delineation as say dog breeds between us). What happens if we fix the social and economic issues that drives much of these activities? What if we fix the underlying problems and suddenly gun violence, and violence in general goes way down? What if we fix the underlying issues and suicide goes way down? What if we fix the underlying issues and drug dependency goes way down? What if we fix the underlying issues and productivity and education increase? Which problems have the potential to do the most harm/good in the world? Maybe we shouldn't be blindly charging at windmills and invisible giants like Don Quixote and instead put our thinking caps on and be grown ups for once. Does anyone think it's at least worth a try?

Try to remember in order for heaven to be good, god was forced to make hell and demonize folks into it.... who's the real evil one here.

lol My contention and point has been from the beginning that this debate over weapons is mostly not the issue we should be looking at. At least not now. Not yet. Until we fix this other shit we really don't even know if the weapon debate is one that will be needed in the future. Maybe yes? maybe no? I just wish more people would be like you and think.

Thanks Yakedy yak, please come back Smile Often!

Big Grin
17-07-2017, 11:59 PM
(17-07-2017 11:27 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 11:12 PM)Stevil Wrote:  That's the point. Are some of the guns stolen ones? How did they get into the country?

What I appear to be and what I am are two totally different things, and dude? What's your point with that? Just being a shit? Not your business either way dude.

Gun theft happens sometimes, but you know guns get smuggled in much the same way drugs are too, either way your point is again asinine.
Yeah but, actually...

http://www.newsweek.com/gun-control-wher...ons-412850
Quote:The supply chain of guns to crime

While criminals typically do not buy their guns at a store, all but a tiny fraction of the guns in circulation in the United States are first sold at retail by a gun dealer—including the guns that eventually end up in the hands of criminals.

Quote:4That first retail sale was most likely legal, in that the clerk followed federal and state requirements for documentation, a background check and record-keeping. While there are scofflaw dealers who sometimes make under-the-counter deals, that is by no means the norm.

If a gun ends up in criminal use, it is usually after several more transactions.

Quote:The supply chain for guns used in crime bears little relationship to the supply chain for heroin or cocaine and is much more akin to the supply chain for cigarettes and beer that are diverted to underage teenagers.

Really JesseB, you really do seem to have a bee in your bonnet, and your post on chasing a cop just shows the aggressive nature of your thinking.

You get aggressive just by me merely asking the question "where do the criminal's guns come from? How do they get in the country?"
A very valid question, not something to get all aggravated and defensive about.

Seems your understanding of it is the opposite of what this article says. Now I don't know what the truth is, but which ever way it is, I don't see the need to go and get all angry about it.
18-07-2017, 12:17 AM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2017 12:31 AM by JesseB.)
(17-07-2017 11:59 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 11:27 PM)JesseB Wrote:  What I appear to be and what I am are two totally different things, and dude? What's your point with that? Just being a shit? Not your business either way dude.

Gun theft happens sometimes, but you know guns get smuggled in much the same way drugs are too, either way your point is again asinine.
Yeah but, actually...

http://www.newsweek.com/gun-control-wher...ons-412850
Quote:The supply chain of guns to crime

While criminals typically do not buy their guns at a store, all but a tiny fraction of the guns in circulation in the United States are first sold at retail by a gun dealer—including the guns that eventually end up in the hands of criminals.

Quote:4That first retail sale was most likely legal, in that the clerk followed federal and state requirements for documentation, a background check and record-keeping. While there are scofflaw dealers who sometimes make under-the-counter deals, that is by no means the norm.

If a gun ends up in criminal use, it is usually after several more transactions.

Quote:The supply chain for guns used in crime bears little relationship to the supply chain for heroin or cocaine and is much more akin to the supply chain for cigarettes and beer that are diverted to underage teenagers.

Really JesseB, you really do seem to have a bee in your bonnet, and your post on chasing a cop just shows the aggressive nature of your thinking.

You get aggressive just by me merely asking the question "where do the criminal's guns come from? How do they get in the country?"
A very valid question, not something to get all aggravated and defensive about.

Seems your understanding of it is the opposite of what this article says. Now I don't know what the truth is, but which ever way it is, I don't see the need to go and get all angry about it.

/sigh... not angry. Did you not read any of what I said? I seem to be noticing a trend that you only read a few words then assume the rest of the post. It's a bad habit to be in.

And evidence I like it.

I didn't chase a fucking cop you twit he chased me..... ever heard of reading comprehension?

Also... only 1 Newsweek article does not solid evidence make, however.... It is a start. Bravo.

Certainly for now I will give you that point and salute you for being able to take a point off me. I appreciate you putting in some effort finally Smile And I will retract my point that most guns are smuggled in until I can find more evidence than your newsweek article, All I have is anecdotal evidence from being/living in the streets and seeing shit first hand.

Edit^ and aggressive? Have you not ever read any of my posts before? do you really not know my life story yet? It's kinda all on TTA for anyone to see...... I hate violence, but of course I have an aggressive streak. You don't survive the shit I have and lay down crying just because something scary happened........ And if I'm forced to violence you can be damn fucking sure I intend to be the one alive in the end. But really if you intend to continue to put emotions in my body and words in my mouth and create a straw man that I'm angry with you then there's really no point in talking to you. I really don't have fun dealing with disingenuous liars like that. I kinda think you owe me an apology for that bullshit claim you made. What I"m being isn't angry, What I'm being is a jerk. Or something like that. It's like when people claim I've comited an ad homonym attack against them when I clearly debunked their point BEFORE I insulted them.... same thing here. Specially I'm insulting you. However I do counter your points at the same time so it's not Ad Homonym. I don't really care if you insult me back as long as you don't do what you just did above and create a straw man or try to make shit up like you did. And that you include evidence and make logically sound points. And if you catch me doing something like making a claim I can't back up I'll give you that point. If you catch me making shit up about you I'll apologize and retract it. I'm fucking principled that way. I mean, sure i'm a fucking obstinate ass, i'm surly and not very nice at the best of times often. But if you tried to get to know me you might actually like me, cause if there's one thing I strive to be above all else, then it would be consistent with my principles. And personally I think that counts more than being nice. I value substance far above appearance.

Let me add that if you make a solid argument I won't insult you. Even if you're wrong. If you at least put in some effort I'll not insult you. If you listen when I make suggestions to you I"ll fucking praise you even. Even if I think your wrong, and even if you're demonstrably wrong. What I value is effort and thought ya? That's all I want to see.

Big Grin