Bowie knives, swords, spears, daggers and machetes, now legal in Texas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2017, 01:45 PM
RE: Bowie knives, swords, spears, daggers and machetes, now legal in Texas
(18-07-2017 03:23 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(14-07-2017 09:39 PM)TheBear Wrote:  If a machete-wielding nutcase is approaching you and you have no place to run, what would be the better scenario; a: call the police or b: be armed with a machete yourself?

Bear,

Hmm. Dodgy What are the chances of being approached by a machete-wielding nutcase just when you happen to be carrying a machete yourself? In the ordinary street or shopping mall, I would put this as quite a long shot.

OTOH, open carrying a machete might kind of attract like minded folk, and by extension gangs of the same. Then we have the question of how a machete might help us when being approached by a group of machete wielding nutcases.

As Nietzsche commented, "Madness in the individual is rare.........."

I think the only logical conclusion would be compulsory open carry of machetes in Texan public places, but what about the other liberated items? To equal things up everyone will need to be tooled up with machetes, pikes, spears, holy water sprinklers and the rest. Its a heavy lift, politically.

D.

I mean.... what the hell are the chances of running into a machete wielding nutcase at all! Or a sword wielding nut-job, or a gun toting nut-job.... I mean people take a few isolated incidence, something like 1 in a million chance events and focus on that to justify their position. (and I'm not gonna site that it's a damn figure of speech, the point is even in places where it's bad like where I'm from you're unlikely to run into weapons or violence on any given day. Unless you're in a gang, then the odds go up some)

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2017, 01:49 PM
(18-07-2017 03:17 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 11:27 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I haven't been angry, I've been ... well kinda not nice to you, I've insulted you and slapped down your stupid arguments, but that'll all change the INSTANT you say something I can't hear mindlessly repeated on every major news network 100 times a day. I highly support you thinking for yourself and stop letting whatever media outlet you allow to brainwash you think for you.... (that sounded way smoother in my head lol). I'm not obligated to be nice to you if all you're bringing to the table is mindless bullshit you're parroting off the fucking TV. Again Try harder.
BTW, I come from NZ, we don't have a guns debate here, its a non issue. Politicians do not campaign on it. We may hear once and a while a broadcast on the news about a massacre in US or a young child in US playing with mums gun in the back seat and accidentally shooting mum. But we simply don't get the propaganda that perhaps you get in the US (on either side, for or against gun restrictions).
If my arguments have been similar to what you've heard on your media, it's purely coincidental, either that or its just logical (certainly not random).

BTW, I really haven't made many arguments or claims here. I'm not sure what issues you are having with what I've said so far.

Naw dude your arguments sound similar because you lack perspective and experience. In a world without guns around what you find to be normal makes perfect sense to you. And you think that you should force that on everyone else because you're morally superior. However as nice as NZ is I doubt seriously it's problem free. And I don't think your peaceful society is exclusively a result of weapons bans. It may contribute but it's not the only factor, and if you've listened to my position I'm not against weapons bans. I'd just rather fix the REAL problems first, then decide if a weapons ban is really needed.

How do I put it.... it's like using a band aid to treat skin cancer. You might be able to cover up the problem with enough band aids but you still got fucking cancer!

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
18-07-2017, 01:55 PM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2017 02:05 PM by JesseB.)
(18-07-2017 02:39 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 12:17 AM)JesseB Wrote:  Certainly for now I will give you that point and salute you for being able to take a point off me.
It's not a contest. Once you get that off your chest, we can start to have a conversation.

(18-07-2017 12:17 AM)JesseB Wrote:  Edit^ and aggressive? Have you not ever read any of my posts before? do you really not know my life story yet?
Ummm, no, I don't know who JesseB is. Seems a little angry, quite defensive, quick to attack people trying to talk to him/her.

(18-07-2017 12:17 AM)JesseB Wrote:  But really if you intend to continue to put emotions in my body and words in my mouth and create a straw man that I'm angry with you then there's really no point in talking to you.
Yeah, well, if you continue to attack me and talk aggressively, I really don't see a worthy conversation coming here. I have better things to do with my time than to fight you on my keyboard.

So what? I should.... like put on the kiddie gloves for you? Not gonna happen dude. I talk the way I do, I treat everyone the same. How I treat you is entirely dependent on YOUR actions. I find it to be a fair system and your crying about it constantly say a hell of a lot more about you than it does me. Also.... Being aggressive isn't a sin dude. what the fuck.... So what? everyone around you pampers and babies you 24/7? Fuck man go get a real job, hop on an oil rig with me and see how long you last with your piss poor attitude. You need to step down off your high fucking horse dude, You're not the beacon of moral superiority here. Grow up.

I've said this many times before on TTA, mostly to Christians but it seems you got the same self centered stuck up self righteous attitude. I am not obligated to be nice to you. I'm not obligated to blow smoke up your ass. Get over it.

Edit^ I'd like to point out that this kinda highlights why YOUR ideas on how weapons should be treated aren't going to do much of a damn thing in THIS country. There's a whole hell of a lot of people here far more aggressive than I am. I said it to you already we're a lot less domesticated here. Won't work. At least not for a while (which emphasizes my point even more that the real problems you should be focusing on are other social issues. Fix those first and you might get the weapon ban you desire so much, like dude.... I'm doing your job for you. That's twice now I had to help you make a point on your side cause you refuse to actually bother to do any research into this. You just look at your country and say "Whelp clearly we're better so ya'll are just stupid" Without any perspective on the differences between your country and ours. Hell as noted above our country is so fucking large and the law's varry so much from place to fucking place even we don't have it straight, I had to correct myself numerous times cause of points people brought up about how their state is different than the states I've lived in..... which leads into my final point that you're so uneducated about this shit, it's a complex issue but you want to over simplify it. And what I said before was "Stop it." As for treating a debate forum like a debate forum (aka making allusions to scoring points), well.... what should you expect? You're in the politics section. I'm not even taking a side against your position I'm just trying to challenge you to come up with good fucking reasons for your position. The thing I hate most of all is when people come to the same or similar conclusions as me for bad reasons. So of course I'm gonna push you till you pull your head out of your ass and start using it)

Big Grin
18-07-2017, 03:33 PM
(18-07-2017 01:45 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I mean.... what the hell are the chances of running into a machete wielding nutcase at all!

Jesse,

True. But at least the new law improves the chances a bit. There is that. Drinking Beverage

D.
18-07-2017, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2017 04:18 PM by JesseB.)
(18-07-2017 03:33 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 01:45 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I mean.... what the hell are the chances of running into a machete wielding nutcase at all!

Jesse,

True. But at least the new law improves the chances a bit. There is that. Drinking Beverage

D.

I mean.... if machete related armed robberies spike up 260% We'll kinda know pretty quick won't we?

what.... what's that work out to..... 2 this year?

It's not that I disagree with you, I just see it as a bit of a non issue for the most part. Unless you can provide some data to back up that it's a problem that needs solving.

I find too many of our laws are intended to fix people's feelings and not actual fucking issues.... if that makes sense. It's how we end up with some really absurd situations where perfectly reasonable things get outlawed yet some crazy fucking shit is somehow legal.

What's that phrase. The squeaky wheel gets the grease? Like couldn't we fix real problems instead of freaking out over stuff that's so..... not affecting really anyone (aside from maybe 1 or 2 people), shouldn't our jobs in the public square to do as much good for the most people first? Then maybe we can try and create more focused solutions for weird random exceptions later, it show's there really is a problem. Also you gotta remember, while you might not SEE a reasonable explanation for keeping something legal. There might actually BE one. which can make these lazer targeted laws potentially more harmful than good.

I'd take ya back to my splinter in the eyeball analogy, it's kinda a shitty analogy I admit but sure you remove the eyeball the splinters not really a problem anymore.... but wouldn't it have been better to remove the splinter?

I've been trying to say we can fix these problems at the source rather than playing whack a mole to cover up the symptoms. Let's try ending the war on drugs first. That seems way more effective and reasonable and... important

Big Grin
18-07-2017, 05:14 PM
(17-07-2017 05:13 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Eye-gouging-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye-gouging
Heh, Wikipedia has a page for everything. Yes

Quote:The car antenna could be pushed through the gap where the optic nerve passes through, or shoved up from underneath. I think I over-spoke on the finger into the brain, though, in spite of being so informed by a guy who served in the US Army as a Ranger.
Ok. I don't know if it's been done, but if there was anybody could do it, I can believe that it would be an Army Ranger. Big Grin

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
18-07-2017, 05:18 PM
(17-07-2017 05:35 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Dr H

Have I told you lately

that I love

your sense of humor Tongue

Aw . . . Blush

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
18-07-2017, 05:26 PM
(17-07-2017 05:31 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I don't know if anyone ever told ya'll but fucking the US is like....90ish % rural..... there's a huge fucking difference.
You do have a point. A lot of people who have never been here don't really have a good grasp of how HUGE the US is, or that the country is more than 70% rural.

OTOH, less than 15% of the population lives in those rural areas.
265 million is a lot of guns for less than 5 million people -- a quarter of whom are children.

Quote: But you know state and federal law can allow guns almost EVERY city has it's own ordinances on firearms that are always more strict (meaning even if you can legally carry a knife or a gun in Texas, in Austin or Dallas that's not likely the case)......
Yep.

--
Dr H

18-07-2017, 05:43 PM
(17-07-2017 05:55 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Unless someone has a concealed carry permit I'd kinda agree with you on this. However.... who the fuck is walking around with loaded weapons??!!! Even in places where it's legal it doesn't fucking happen dude. Mostly cause no business is gonna fucking serve someone carrying a loaded gun. Even if they are legally allowed to do it. You're freaking out about what is LITERALLY a fucking NON ISSUE.
Private businesses are, of course, allowed to set their own rules fro their own premises, provided they neither discriminate, nor violate other local laws. Starbucks, for example, does not allow guns in any of their shops.

OTOH, there are places that don't care, so long as you pay for your goods and don't cause trouble while you're there. Even though open carry is legal here, I don't see it all that often in urban areas, outside of on-duty police and such -- maybe a half-dozen times in the past 10 years.
Although just last Saturday I was in an Arby's, and the guy in line in front of me had a revolver in a holster on his hip.
A few people were giving him the hairy eyeball, but nobody bothered him. Tongue

--
Dr H

18-07-2017, 05:44 PM
(17-07-2017 06:15 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Online biker carries his weapon with him everyday for the last 15 years. Is it loaded or unloaded? Me thinks it's loaded.

There really isn't much point in carrying an unloaded gun around.

--
Dr H

[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post