Bowie knives, swords, spears, daggers and machetes, now legal in Texas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2017, 08:14 PM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2017 08:18 PM by onlinebiker.)
RE: Bowie knives, swords, spears, daggers and machetes, now legal in Texas
(14-07-2017 07:38 PM)epronovost Wrote:  @onlinebiker

Dude, I don't think you get how those laws work. In a normal country, when you see a guy in public with a fucking machete, you can call the police and stay clear of him because he is obviously a nutjob. You can do that well before he starts to truly behave in a dangerous way. It makes identifying who is crazy and who is not a hell of a lot easier. It also makes the number of available machete relatively low, thus your casual nutjob has little chance of having one and a harder time to get one. We both know that patience, planning and forethought are not the prime characteristics of nutjobs in the first place. It's not perfect, but better than nothing. In a place where it's completly legal to carry a machete in public, you cannot call the police on any psycho nutjob who carries such a weapon. Now the only way to make the difference between the nutjob that kills people from the normal citizen is when they actually start killing people with their machete. In other words, normalising a threatening behavior like carrying weapons in public is hazardous at best, especially if those people have little training, knowledge and the wrong attitude when strutting around with those said weapons. On the other hand, in a country where it's legal to carry a gun in public, it makes perfect sense to allow people to carry less dangerous weapons like swords and knives of all types. I don't see how you can defend one and not the other.

Facepalm

I simply can't fathom what kind of world you live in.

You fear inanimate objects.

You do realize, that if somebody wants to kill you, it's easier to do the job with a car antenna, than a machette????

( incidentally, drunken machette fights are commonplace in some parts of world, and deaths are fairly rare. Why? A machette makes clean shallow cuts. )

You want them to control inanimate objects - especially the ones that you have been conditioned to fear by watching too much TV and movies....

In real life - you're far more likely to be shanked and killed by a screwdriver than a broadsword......

Or do you want to illegalize all pointy objects??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
14-07-2017, 08:38 PM
I can carry all that stuff in Canada. Heck every time I crossed the border and they asked me if I had any weapons I'd be like a hunting short spear, a machete, a tomahawk, a 5 1/4 inch folding tanto blade, and a KA-BAR TDI I also use as a climbing knife. As long as it's not gravity or spring opened (i.e. balisong or switchblade) they don't give two shits. The only laws governing the carry of blades, aside from the above mentioned laws targeting butterfly knives and switchblade (both of which are real shitty fighting knives anyway) have to do with intent, not the blade itself. Meaning it's only a prohibited weapon if it can be proven that I intended to hurt someone with it.

I'm sure this new law might seem significant to a bunch of people who've spent their entire lives indoors, but it's really not earth shattering even outside of the notorious Texas.

Some places have laws regarding the length of concealed blades, but unless they also make cooking and camping illegal, the best they can do against the open carry of blades is to regulate intent. And that's pretty difficult to prove until a crime has already been committed and the weapons charge is tacked on as an afterthought.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
14-07-2017, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2017 08:53 PM by epronovost.)
(14-07-2017 08:14 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Facepalm

I don't fear machete, I fear the people who think carrying a machete in public is somewhat justifiable and should be considered ''normal''. I think that my talk about nutjobs was clear enough to identify that the problem is nutjobs with weapons not weapons lying down in the streets like some garbage (or seeing people with weapons in their expected circomstances). If you want to mount a machete on your wall as a kickass decoration, I have absolutly no problem. If you are in a dense forest, want to chop some wood, etc. I would say it might not be a bad idea to carry one. In what world do you live in in which people who carry weapon to go buy groceries, watch a movie or heat diner, etc. feel the need to carry swords around? What sort of message does it send to people around them? It's like if you met a guy in a hazmat suit in the middle of Boston on June 20th. Either shit is really going down and you were not aware of it or this guy might be a little bit crazy.

To me, a person with a weapon in the middle of a city or a suburban zone, where over 80% of people in my country live, is a person who either expect to be attacked or wants to attack people. In both cases, I think that person is dangerously unhinged. If that person expect to be attacked in her daily life, this means she perceive the people she meets in her daily life as a danger. This means, the average, normal looking, private citizen, is somewhat threatening to that person. This, and I think you will agree, is far from being an healthy mindset. If they can't even trust normal people not to jump them, what do they think about people who look rather threatening (even if they actually are not)? Are they going to attack or threaten with those weapons they carry around the moment one of those scary looking person attempt to make contact with them or get into a heated argument over who got first in the parking spot?

(14-07-2017 08:14 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You do realize, that if somebody wants to kill you, it's easier to do the job with a car antenna, than a machette????

Source please?

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post
14-07-2017, 08:47 PM
A machete, of all things, is a piss poor weapon but a useful tool. I don't even need to make a hypothetical situation. I was literally using one to split wood less than an hour ago, and I've been walking around with it hanging from my backpack, in public, most of the day. And I'm in Quebec, not Texas. And I wasn't the only one.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
14-07-2017, 08:52 PM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2017 08:56 PM by yakherder.)
And yeah, I just read your thing about chopping wood and stuff. I honestly agree that the specifics of this law are silly. A machete or a spear would be a silly weapon to carry around for self defense. But the fact that the law now exists is a non issue at worst. A bowie knife would be more dangerous than most of the weapons on that list, and I carry around knives like that even in Ottawa. Not for self defense, but because they're useful tools in many other applications.

'Murican Canadian
14-07-2017, 08:54 PM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2017 09:02 PM by Fireball.)
(14-07-2017 08:41 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(14-07-2017 08:14 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Facepalm

I don't fear machete, I fear the people who think carrying a machete in public is somewhat justifiable and should be considered ''normal''. I think that my talk about nutjobs was clear enough to identify that the problem is nutjobs with weapons not weapons lying down in the streets like some garbage. If you want to mount a machete on your wall as a kickass decoration, I have absolutly no problem. If you are in a dense forest, want to chop some wood, etc. I would say it might not be a bad idea to carry one. In what world do you live in in which people who carry weapon to go buy groceries, watch a movie or heat diner, etc. feel the need to carry swords around? What sort of message does it send to people around them? It's like if you met a guy in a hazmat suit in the middle of Boston on June 20th. Either shit is really going down and you were not aware of it or this guy might be a little bit crazy.

To me, a person with a weapon in the middle of a city or a suburban zone, where over 80% of people in my country live, is a person who either expect to be attacked or wants to attack people. In both cases, I think that person is dangerously unhinged. If that person expect to be attacked in her daily life, this means she perceive the people she meets in her daily life as a danger. This means, the average, normal looking, private citizen, is somewhat threatening to that person. This, and I think you will agree, is far from being an healthy mindset. If they can't even trust normal people not to jump them, what do they think about people who look rather threatening (even if they actually are not)? Are they going to attack or threaten with those weapons they carry around the moment one of those scary looking person attempt to make contact with them or get into a heated argument over who got first in the parking spot?

(14-07-2017 08:14 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You do realize, that if somebody wants to kill you, it's easier to do the job with a car antenna, than a machette????

Source please?

Not sure of OLB's source, but one can snap an antenna off a car and ram it through your eye into your brain without you suspecting anything before it happens. In a real life-or-death situation, a finger can perform the damage.
14-07-2017, 09:02 PM
(14-07-2017 08:54 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(14-07-2017 08:41 PM)epronovost Wrote:  I don't fear machete, I fear the people who think carrying a machete in public is somewhat justifiable and should be considered ''normal''. I think that my talk about nutjobs was clear enough to identify that the problem is nutjobs with weapons not weapons lying down in the streets like some garbage. If you want to mount a machete on your wall as a kickass decoration, I have absolutly no problem. If you are in a dense forest, want to chop some wood, etc. I would say it might not be a bad idea to carry one. In what world do you live in in which people who carry weapon to go buy groceries, watch a movie or heat diner, etc. feel the need to carry swords around? What sort of message does it send to people around them? It's like if you met a guy in a hazmat suit in the middle of Boston on June 20th. Either shit is really going down and you were not aware of it or this guy might be a little bit crazy.

Source please?

Not sure of OLB's source, but I can tell you that I can snap an antenna off a car and ram it through your eye into your brain without you suspecting anything before it happens. In a real life-or-death situation, a finger can perform the damage.

Sources? I mean, evidence please?

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. (G.B.Shaw)
14-07-2017, 09:15 PM
(14-07-2017 01:44 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  A few months ago, police shot and killed a man wielding a machete attacking people, just two blocks from where I lived.

Yeah. That was in Iowa. Not sure about Iowa's laws on open carry of machetes and swords. The only definitive thing I could find was concealed carry - nothing longer than 5 inches.

Does anyone know if Iowa law allows for open carry of machetes and swords?
14-07-2017, 09:39 PM
If a machete-wielding nutcase is approaching you and you have no place to run, what would be the better scenario; a: call the police or b: be armed with a machete yourself?
[+] 1 user Likes TheBear's post
14-07-2017, 09:41 PM
One more thing - Never go to a gunfight with a knife. Drinking Beverage