Bowie knives, swords, spears, daggers and machetes, now legal in Texas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2017, 08:31 AM
RE: Bowie knives, swords, spears, daggers and machetes, now legal in Texas
(19-07-2017 08:02 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 06:16 PM)JesseB Wrote:  256 million guns across 5 million people.... and how many mass shootings? in Rural vs Cities? No I like what you're doing cause you raise some good points. It's a complex issue. Clearly accidental death and domestic voilence is an issue with guns, but then it's also an issue with stupid people and abusive people even without guns.

My message has remained the same. I remain nutral on guns, lets fix the real problems first and then we can take an accurate look on what to do with guns. You're right US is HUGE, I mean with big countries you got US, Canada, Russia, and China. And it seems a lot of people outside those countries lack any understanding or appreciation of just how LARGE those countries are. I mean a better comparison to a country like NZ would maybe bee the islands of Hawaii? wait...1 state? How many states do we have again?

I mean how many countries are smaller in both land mass and economy size to say California? Or Texas?

I just don't see people missing these big points being able to come to a reasonable conclusion and I reject their position by default because they haven't taken a real look at the problem yet. That's why I pushed back so hard against Stivil, it's not that I disagree with him on much of what he said even, it's that he's not looking at the problem. He's kinda just spouting half baked propaganda from his uninformed perspective.

I've made it clear I personally do not like guns. I think that an unarmed society carries with it inherent risks, however I think an armed society vs an unarmed society shifts risk from criminals to government abuse. Again this is risk not actual action. So personally I'm hesitant to make a determination here. In the end no matter how peaceful we want to pretend we are, we are great apes. In the end when shit gets out of hand it's going to come down to riots and violence. As much as I don't like that, it is inevitable. At least at this stage in our collective development as a species. I can only hope that one day we can achieve the kinda world I dream of with Captain Picard gallivanting across the cosmos (oh wait they were armed too.....idk kidding that's a show)...

I should amend this with I hate real violence. I've seen way more of it than any person ever should in one lifetime. But I LOVE violence in video games and anime and fuck anyone who wants to take that away from me....

Don't make the mistake of assuming that ALL of us in small countries are unaware of how large the USA is, I live in Britain which is smaller than the state of Wyoming, the USA is absolutely fucking massive!!!! Its also one of the reasons I changed my anti gun stance I totally get you need firearms for hunting etc, the only real beef I have with the US are the types of weapons allowed which seems to be pretty much anything. I would also have more respect (I do have respect but I would have more) if people were to just admit that America has a love affair with its firearms its part of the culture and you are willing to accept the occasional mass shooting in order to preserve the right to bear arms. Its hard to understand this culture sometimes but I'm definitely making progress its also important to point out gun control is pretty pointless considering the number of arms in circulation both legal and illegal. I'm an outsider but I can see why you guys in the US need firearms.

I don't have a love affair with guns. However, I did grow up around guns and therefore it's not jarring to me to that people have guns. I am also quite aware that some people shouldn't have guns...but how do we decide who that is? What about the person who has never shown any sort of aggression or mental disturbance who is suddenly pushed to a space they never expected to be in. With the application process, and some have suggested mental evaluations, let's be realistic that people change. Some mental illnesses come on later. There are too many variables to address.

There are two guns in my house. I do not own either of them. I don't shoot either of them because I don't trust my body to physically be safe.

Do I think my husband needs to carry his when he leaves for work? Meh...I don't drive his route during the time that he does so it's not my decision to make. He doesn't carry it at other times...such as when we go get groceries or drop the dogs at the groomer. It seems clear that his concern is during his drive to work, through a less than safe area and well before daylight.

If, for some reason, we had to drive through or to certain parts of the city at night I would ask that he carry his handgun.

If I had grown up in a country where guns aren't part of the culture I am sure my stance would be colored by what I was familiar with.

To say that we are willing to accept mass shootings in order to protect the right to own a firearm for the millions of people who don't do mass shootings is using an extreme situation in an attempt to stir emotion.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
19-07-2017, 08:35 AM
(19-07-2017 08:02 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 06:16 PM)JesseB Wrote:  256 million guns across 5 million people.... and how many mass shootings? in Rural vs Cities? No I like what you're doing cause you raise some good points. It's a complex issue. Clearly accidental death and domestic voilence is an issue with guns, but then it's also an issue with stupid people and abusive people even without guns.

My message has remained the same. I remain nutral on guns, lets fix the real problems first and then we can take an accurate look on what to do with guns. You're right US is HUGE, I mean with big countries you got US, Canada, Russia, and China. And it seems a lot of people outside those countries lack any understanding or appreciation of just how LARGE those countries are. I mean a better comparison to a country like NZ would maybe bee the islands of Hawaii? wait...1 state? How many states do we have again?

I mean how many countries are smaller in both land mass and economy size to say California? Or Texas?

I just don't see people missing these big points being able to come to a reasonable conclusion and I reject their position by default because they haven't taken a real look at the problem yet. That's why I pushed back so hard against Stivil, it's not that I disagree with him on much of what he said even, it's that he's not looking at the problem. He's kinda just spouting half baked propaganda from his uninformed perspective.

I've made it clear I personally do not like guns. I think that an unarmed society carries with it inherent risks, however I think an armed society vs an unarmed society shifts risk from criminals to government abuse. Again this is risk not actual action. So personally I'm hesitant to make a determination here. In the end no matter how peaceful we want to pretend we are, we are great apes. In the end when shit gets out of hand it's going to come down to riots and violence. As much as I don't like that, it is inevitable. At least at this stage in our collective development as a species. I can only hope that one day we can achieve the kinda world I dream of with Captain Picard gallivanting across the cosmos (oh wait they were armed too.....idk kidding that's a show)...

I should amend this with I hate real violence. I've seen way more of it than any person ever should in one lifetime. But I LOVE violence in video games and anime and fuck anyone who wants to take that away from me....

Don't make the mistake of assuming that ALL of us in small countries are unaware of how large the USA is, I live in Britain which is smaller than the state of Wyoming, the USA is absolutely fucking massive!!!! Its also one of the reasons I changed my anti gun stance I totally get you need firearms for hunting etc, the only real beef I have with the US are the types of weapons allowed which seems to be pretty much anything. I would also have more respect (I do have respect but I would have more) if people were to just admit that America has a love affair with its firearms its part of the culture and you are willing to accept the occasional mass shooting in order to preserve the right to bear arms. Its hard to understand this culture sometimes but I'm definitely making progress its also important to point out gun control is pretty pointless considering the number of arms in circulation both legal and illegal. I'm an outsider but I can see why you guys in the US need firearms even handguns, you do not however need a Mac 10 regardless of how well secured and statistically safe they are in legal hands, its a pray and spray weapon and those should only be in the hands of the military IMHO.

If I could afford a legal MAC 10 and the ammo to feed it, I'd consider it a range toy Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
19-07-2017, 08:47 AM
(19-07-2017 08:35 AM)yakherder Wrote:  :yes:If I could afford a legal MAC 10 and the ammo to feed it, I'd consider it a range toy Tongue

I wish my arms and hands didn't sometimes have minds of there own. I used to love to target shoot. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
19-07-2017, 09:05 AM (This post was last modified: 19-07-2017 09:30 AM by adey67.)
(19-07-2017 08:31 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(19-07-2017 08:02 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Don't make the mistake of assuming that ALL of us in small countries are unaware of how large the USA is, I live in Britain which is smaller than the state of Wyoming, the USA is absolutely fucking massive!!!! Its also one of the reasons I changed my anti gun stance I totally get you need firearms for hunting etc, the only real beef I have with the US are the types of weapons allowed which seems to be pretty much anything. I would also have more respect (I do have respect but I would have more) if people were to just admit that America has a love affair with its firearms its part of the culture and you are willing to accept the occasional mass shooting in order to preserve the right to bear arms. Its hard to understand this culture sometimes but I'm definitely making progress its also important to point out gun control is pretty pointless considering the number of arms in circulation both legal and illegal. I'm an outsider but I can see why you guys in the US need firearms.

I don't have a love affair with guns. However, I did grow up around guns and therefore it's not jarring to me to that people have guns. I am also quite aware that some people shouldn't have guns...but how do we decide who that is? What about the person who has never shown any sort of aggression or mental disturbance who is suddenly pushed to a space they never expected to be in. With the application process, and some have suggested mental evaluations, let's be realistic that people change. Some mental illnesses come on later. There are too many variables to address.

There are two guns in my house. I do not own either of them. I don't shoot either of them because I don't trust my body to physically be safe.

Do I think my husband needs to carry his when he leaves for work? Meh...I don't drive his route during the time that he does so it's not my decision to make. He doesn't carry it at other times...such as when we go get groceries or drop the dogs at the groomer. It seems clear that his concern is during his drive to work, through a less than safe area and well before daylight.

If, for some reason, we had to drive through or to certain parts of the city at night I would ask that he carry his handgun.

If I had grown up in a country where guns aren't part of the culture I am sure my stance would be colored by what I was familiar with.

To say that we are willing to accept mass shootings in order to protect the right to own a firearm for the millions of people who don't do mass shootings is using an extreme situation in an attempt to stir emotion.
I get where you're coming from so sorry if I have made some generalizations, obviously not EVERYONE has a love affair with their guns. In Britain every time a mass shooting has occurred gun laws were increasingly and often quite radically tightened I've not seen anything truly comparable happen in the USA, as far as I'm aware about the most radical changes were on clip sizes and full automatic assault weapons and that's the real rub for me, it seems to me that people are horrified by these terrible events but not horrified enough or perhaps able to actually do anything significant about it. Sounds rude and unkind to say this I know but I don't know where else to go with it tbh.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
19-07-2017, 09:11 AM
(19-07-2017 08:47 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(19-07-2017 08:35 AM)yakherder Wrote:  :yes:If I could afford a legal MAC 10 and the ammo to feed it, I'd consider it a range toy Tongue

I wish my arms and hands didn't sometimes have minds of there own. I used to love to target shoot. Undecided

Hug
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
19-07-2017, 09:13 AM
(19-07-2017 08:35 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(19-07-2017 08:02 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Don't make the mistake of assuming that ALL of us in small countries are unaware of how large the USA is, I live in Britain which is smaller than the state of Wyoming, the USA is absolutely fucking massive!!!! Its also one of the reasons I changed my anti gun stance I totally get you need firearms for hunting etc, the only real beef I have with the US are the types of weapons allowed which seems to be pretty much anything. I would also have more respect (I do have respect but I would have more) if people were to just admit that America has a love affair with its firearms its part of the culture and you are willing to accept the occasional mass shooting in order to preserve the right to bear arms. Its hard to understand this culture sometimes but I'm definitely making progress its also important to point out gun control is pretty pointless considering the number of arms in circulation both legal and illegal. I'm an outsider but I can see why you guys in the US need firearms even handguns, you do not however need a Mac 10 regardless of how well secured and statistically safe they are in legal hands, its a pray and spray weapon and those should only be in the hands of the military IMHO.

If I could afford a legal MAC 10 and the ammo to feed it, I'd consider it a range toy Tongue

Are they really expensive then ?
19-07-2017, 09:31 AM
(19-07-2017 09:13 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(19-07-2017 08:35 AM)yakherder Wrote:  If I could afford a legal MAC 10 and the ammo to feed it, I'd consider it a range toy Tongue

Are they really expensive then ?

A semi auto MAC 10 is basically just a hand gun and is pretty easy to come by. New productions of the original full auto version, however, were covered in a ban in 1986. Those produced before '86 are still legal with the right licensing, but obviously considerably more expensive as a result of the ban. In addition to that, most variants are chambered in .45 ACP, which can get expensive when you're trying to feed a gun that burns through a 32 round magazine in less than two seconds.

'Murican Canadian
19-07-2017, 09:35 AM
(19-07-2017 09:31 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(19-07-2017 09:13 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Are they really expensive then ?

A semi auto MAC 10 is basically just a hand gun and is pretty easy to come by. New productions of the original full auto version, however, were covered in a ban in 1986. Those produced before '86 are still legal with the right licensing, but obviously considerably more expensive as a result of the ban. In addition to that, most variants are chambered in .45 ACP, which can get expensive when you're trying to feed a gun that burns through a 32 round magazine in less than two seconds.

Wow, 45 ACP 32 rounds in less than two seconds that cannot be easily controllable. Can you tell me anything more about the ban in 1986, what did it cover exactly?
19-07-2017, 09:55 AM
(19-07-2017 09:35 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(19-07-2017 09:31 AM)yakherder Wrote:  A semi auto MAC 10 is basically just a hand gun and is pretty easy to come by. New productions of the original full auto version, however, were covered in a ban in 1986. Those produced before '86 are still legal with the right licensing, but obviously considerably more expensive as a result of the ban. In addition to that, most variants are chambered in .45 ACP, which can get expensive when you're trying to feed a gun that burns through a 32 round magazine in less than two seconds.

Wow, 45 ACP 32 rounds in less than two seconds that cannot be easily controllable. Can you tell me anything more about the ban in 1986, what did it cover exactly?

It was called the Firearm Owners Protection Act. The machine gun "freeze" was what it was primarily known for, theoretically limiting the number of fully automatic weapons to the ones already in circulation. It also included provisions to limit the government's ability to register firearms and also to protect people bringing guns from one state to another where they were legal, but passing through more restrictive states in the process. For example, if you're traveling from Vermont to Texas and have guns that are legal in both of those states but need to travel through states where they might not be legal, like New York, this act gave you a limited amount of protection from local regulations, provided you were indeed just passing through.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
19-07-2017, 09:59 AM
The ban covered scary looking guns.

It covered cosmetics.

It was a convoluted piece of shit that limited combinations of flash hiders, pistol grips, and bayonette lugs. ( apparently there was a rash of drive-by bayonettings I didn't hear about.

The other thing was a limit in manufacturing of magazines that held more than 10 rounds. Manufacturers had an " in effect" date they beat by manufacturing one part, which they designated as "the magazine" and cranked out millions. They then made the rest of the parts and put the things together and sold them - legally- at inflated prices after the ban went into effect.

The ban had a sunset clause, which ran out.

The end result ( proving the law of unintended consequence) of the ban was to create far more interest in seni auto clones of military rifles, and put more in civilian hands than ever before.

Truth - Bill Clinton and Barrack Obama are the best gun salesmen in history.

Kudos.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.