Bowie knives, swords, spears, daggers and machetes, now legal in Texas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2017, 11:08 PM
RE: Bowie knives, swords, spears, daggers and machetes, now legal in Texas
(14-07-2017 10:39 PM)TheBear Wrote:  
(14-07-2017 09:56 PM)epronovost Wrote:  c: gasp, run, scream, fall on the floor for no specific reason, crawl for a few meters, get back up, scream some more, run again, hide behind a tree for a few seconds, catch my breath, get impaled against the tree by the machete-wielding nutcase who somehow managed to pass in front of me without me noticing him. I would also like to mention I was in underwear or in a very skimpy bikini during the entire scene and my date Douche the Jock (or Jock the Douche) was killed three minutes before.

IOW - you would rather be murdered than be armed. Wow. That kind of thinking blows my mind. The scenario was - you had no place to run. Or do you honestly believe that screaming is somehow more effective than being armed yourself?

Amazing. Blink

...Dude, I was poking fun at the implausibility of your scenario. How the fuck do you get stuck in a small room, alone, where you can't run and can't hide with a machete-wielding nutjob, in any plausible fashion?

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-07-2017, 11:16 PM
(14-07-2017 04:24 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Bah. They didn't legalize war hammers. Boo on you, Tex.

That's on the agenda for the next legislative session.

I am waiting for the okay on carrying a flame thrower.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
14-07-2017, 11:20 PM
(14-07-2017 10:55 PM)TheBear Wrote:  When you say "we've whipped ourselves into such a frenzy", are you projecting your own situation?

I own one gun, have never shot it. It was given to me by a neighbor as a gift because he was lightening his load to move across the country. The only real use I've had for it is to show my boys the difference between a toy gun and a real one.

I'm talking about one of my best friends who sleeps with a loaded pistol on his nightstand even though the chances of him ever using it are almost nil. I have to remind him to make sure his arsenal is locked away any time he wants us to come over to visit just to make sure an accident doesn't happen while my kids are running around.

I'm fine taking my chances with the world without adding to those chances.

I was referring to the "proverbial we". Cool

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
15-07-2017, 02:12 AM
(14-07-2017 09:39 PM)TheBear Wrote:  If a machete-wielding nutcase is approaching you and you have no place to run, what would be the better scenario; a: call the police or b: be armed with a machete yourself?

Pull out your concealed carry pistol and fire away.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
15-07-2017, 02:18 AM
(14-07-2017 11:16 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(14-07-2017 04:24 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Bah. They didn't legalize war hammers. Boo on you, Tex.

Probably already legal.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
15-07-2017, 04:07 AM
(14-07-2017 11:20 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(14-07-2017 10:55 PM)TheBear Wrote:  When you say "we've whipped ourselves into such a frenzy", are you projecting your own situation?

I own one gun, have never shot it. It was given to me by a neighbor as a gift because he was lightening his load to move across the country. The only real use I've had for it is to show my boys the difference between a toy gun and a real one.

I'm talking about one of my best friends who sleeps with a loaded pistol on his nightstand even though the chances of him ever using it are almost nil. I have to remind him to make sure his arsenal is locked away any time he wants us to come over to visit just to make sure an accident doesn't happen while my kids are running around.

I'm fine taking my chances with the world without adding to those chances.

I was referring to the "proverbial we". Cool

The chances of your house catching fire are almost nil. Yet, you probably don't think the same way about your smoke detectors. Wink

BTW - kudos for proper firearm storage, especially around children. Thumbsup
15-07-2017, 04:35 AM
(14-07-2017 11:08 PM)epronovost Wrote:  ...Dude, I was poking fun at the implausibility of your scenario. How the fuck do you get stuck in a small room, alone, where you can't run and can't hide with a machete-wielding nutjob, in any plausible fashion?

In the US, there's probably not too many cases where a machete-wielding nut job corners someone. You're right about that. That's not saying that no one has ever cornered someone while wielding a machete. And I only used that as an extreme example. Something which occurs with much more frequency; someone being cornered by a knife-wielding thug. In that situation, where you're chased down an alley by a knife-wielding thug, and with no way out, would you prefer to be armed or unarmed? Do you want a fighting chance to live, or do want to just lay down and die?
15-07-2017, 05:25 AM
(15-07-2017 02:18 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(14-07-2017 11:16 PM)Anjele Wrote:  That's on the agenda for the next legislative session.

Probably already legal.

They are in Michigan.

Google "Michigan flamethrower"

No problem so far.......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-07-2017, 05:40 AM
(14-07-2017 08:54 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(14-07-2017 08:41 PM)epronovost Wrote:  I don't fear machete, I fear the people who think carrying a machete in public is somewhat justifiable and should be considered ''normal''. I think that my talk about nutjobs was clear enough to identify that the problem is nutjobs with weapons not weapons lying down in the streets like some garbage. If you want to mount a machete on your wall as a kickass decoration, I have absolutly no problem. If you are in a dense forest, want to chop some wood, etc. I would say it might not be a bad idea to carry one. In what world do you live in in which people who carry weapon to go buy groceries, watch a movie or heat diner, etc. feel the need to carry swords around? What sort of message does it send to people around them? It's like if you met a guy in a hazmat suit in the middle of Boston on June 20th. Either shit is really going down and you were not aware of it or this guy might be a little bit crazy.

To me, a person with a weapon in the middle of a city or a suburban zone, where over 80% of people in my country live, is a person who either expect to be attacked or wants to attack people. In both cases, I think that person is dangerously unhinged. If that person expect to be attacked in her daily life, this means she perceive the people she meets in her daily life as a danger. This means, the average, normal looking, private citizen, is somewhat threatening to that person. This, and I think you will agree, is far from being an healthy mindset. If they can't even trust normal people not to jump them, what do they think about people who look rather threatening (even if they actually are not)? Are they going to attack or threaten with those weapons they carry around the moment one of those scary looking person attempt to make contact with them or get into a heated argument over who got first in the parking spot?

Source please?

Not sure of OLB's source, but one can snap an antenna off a car and ram it through your eye into your brain without you suspecting anything before it happens. In a real life-or-death situation, a finger can perform the damage.

If you have ever closely examined a skull, you would probably change your mind about that... The skull is a pretty well evolved helmet for the brain...

That aside - a modern car antenna ( non collapsible,) is a chunk of hardened spring steel. A 14 inch piece sharpened to a point, fixed with a 4inch handle ( Gorrila tape works fine,) makes a top quality shiv, which is easily concealed and in the hands of a trained person - can kill very effectively.

It doesn't even require great strength- 20 lbs ( 10 kilo) of pressure would be enough to reach the heart...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-07-2017, 08:54 AM
(14-07-2017 11:16 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

There are probably enough Texans who can't feel right unless they are allowed to carry a flail in public. I would not be surprised if that is also in the legislative works. That and more tax breaks for the super wealthy.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg