Bowie knives, swords, spears, daggers and machetes, now legal in Texas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2017, 09:00 AM
RE: Bowie knives, swords, spears, daggers and machetes, now legal in Texas
What's really funny is that we've had open carry for a few years now, and it's extremely rare to see anyone practicing. I know it doesn't fit the stereotype, but there it is.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2017, 09:41 AM
(15-07-2017 09:00 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  What's really funny is that we've had open carry for a few years now, and it's extremely rare to see anyone practicing. I know it doesn't fit the stereotype, but there it is.

I have been in TX nearly 11 years and haven't seen anyone open carry other than law enforcement.

When I lived in AZ in the 80s I saw people open carrying all the time.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
15-07-2017, 09:45 AM
(15-07-2017 09:41 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(15-07-2017 09:00 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  What's really funny is that we've had open carry for a few years now, and it's extremely rare to see anyone practicing. I know it doesn't fit the stereotype, but there it is.

I have been in TX nearly 11 years and haven't seen anyone open carry other than law enforcement.

When I lived in AZ in the 80s I saw people open carrying all the time.

It's not common to see in kansas, but I see it from time to time. Working at the shop it is pretty common to see a firearm in vehicles though.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
15-07-2017, 10:12 AM
I've seen a couple carrying down here. Neither of them are folks I would trust in a fistfight, much less a gunfight.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
15-07-2017, 10:14 AM (This post was last modified: 15-07-2017 10:48 AM by epronovost.)
(15-07-2017 04:35 AM)TheBear Wrote:  In the US, there's probably not too many cases where a machete-wielding nut job corners someone. You're right about that. That's not saying that no one has ever cornered someone while wielding a machete. And I only used that as an extreme example. Something which occurs with much more frequency; someone being cornered by a knife-wielding thug. In that situation, where you're chased down an alley by a knife-wielding thug, and with no way out, would you prefer to be armed or unarmed? Do you want a fighting chance to live, or do want to just lay down and die?

The problem with these types of arguments is that most of them rely on a pretty huge case of ''Hollywood logic''. They rely on the fact that the victim can see the danger, but has no chance to escape before (or failed in a non-critical way), is faced by a single opponent who is similarly or inferiorly armed (surprising, but possible) and that somehow, that the attacker doesn't hold an important physical and experience advantage (very unlikely) and, despite all circomstances, that the victim retains a perfect cool to fight the attacker with a clear head.

Personnaly, if I find myself in your perfect scenario against a knife wielding thug, I would rather be unarmed because it actualy increase my fighting chances. Logically, I would have to draw my knife to fight back while he would already have is knife in hand. The time I draw my weapon he can use to stab/cut me with his own, grapple me, punch and kick me, etc. At the start of any fight, the attacker has the momemtum and controls how the fight is going to go. I am an experienced martial artist. I have practiced karate for 12 years and chinese boxing for 3 years. I only have a few dozen hours of experience at knife fighting and some of these were dedicated to fight an person armed with a knife without any yourself. Thus, I am much more capable and performant without a weapon than with one (especially a small concealable knife). Finally, if I am attacked and cornered by a knife-wielding thug, I would expect this thug to have some good practical experience both in street fighting and knife fighting. I would also expect this person to have a few years of classic martial art or combat sport under its belt since it's rather common. because it's a person with a very violent lifestyle. In a fair fight, my chances of winning are low (and the chances of having the circomstances of the fight in my favors are practically null). My best bet is to use my most practiced and quick defence technic to try to wrestle the control of the fight from him. This would imply defending myself without any weapon in an attempt to stun him before he can kill me because I am better at this than knife fighting.

I know people who like to carry weapons to defend themselves, but don't know how to fight without any. That to me, is a really stupid idea. In any reasonnable scenario, you should expect the attacker to have a weapon already in hand and capable of using it. Your chances of drawing a weapon to defend yourself without your attacker injuring you or killing you before you even manage to do that are limited. Most combat instructor would recommand you put some distance or distabilise the attacker before you draw any weapon of your own to avoid getting the shit beated out of you.

In all circomstances, if I get into a real fight with an armed criminal, I have pretty much no chance of getting out of there with no injuries and I would say that I am most likely to lose. Unfortunately, my name is not Batman.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
15-07-2017, 10:31 AM
Lol next to be legal, plutonium based weapons including the Davy Crockett bazooka, or failing that the thermobaric Moab delivered by redneck truck. Laugh out load Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
15-07-2017, 10:40 AM
Wonder how long it takes for the forum super-ninja to tell us how he can, and has, killed people with a toothpick...holding it with just his pinky fingers. Drinking Beverage

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
15-07-2017, 01:23 PM
(15-07-2017 10:14 AM)epronovost Wrote:  
(15-07-2017 04:35 AM)TheBear Wrote:  In the US, there's probably not too many cases where a machete-wielding nut job corners someone. You're right about that. That's not saying that no one has ever cornered someone while wielding a machete. And I only used that as an extreme example. Something which occurs with much more frequency; someone being cornered by a knife-wielding thug. In that situation, where you're chased down an alley by a knife-wielding thug, and with no way out, would you prefer to be armed or unarmed? Do you want a fighting chance to live, or do want to just lay down and die?

The problem with these types of arguments is that most of them rely on a pretty huge case of ''Hollywood logic''. They rely on the fact that the victim can see the danger, but has no chance to escape before (or failed in a non-critical way), is faced by a single opponent who is similarly or inferiorly armed (surprising, but possible) and that somehow, that the attacker doesn't hold an important physical and experience advantage (very unlikely) and, despite all circomstances, that the victim retains a perfect cool to fight the attacker with a clear head.

Personnaly, if I find myself in your perfect scenario against a knife wielding thug, I would rather be unarmed because it actualy increase my fighting chances. Logically, I would have to draw my knife to fight back while he would already have is knife in hand. The time I draw my weapon he can use to stab/cut me with his own, grapple me, punch and kick me, etc. At the start of any fight, the attacker has the momemtum and controls how the fight is going to go. I am an experienced martial artist. I have practiced karate for 12 years and chinese boxing for 3 years. I only have a few dozen hours of experience at knife fighting and some of these were dedicated to fight an person armed with a knife without any yourself. Thus, I am much more capable and performant without a weapon than with one (especially a small concealable knife). Finally, if I am attacked and cornered by a knife-wielding thug, I would expect this thug to have some good practical experience both in street fighting and knife fighting. I would also expect this person to have a few years of classic martial art or combat sport under its belt since it's rather common. because it's a person with a very violent lifestyle. In a fair fight, my chances of winning are low (and the chances of having the circomstances of the fight in my favors are practically null). My best bet is to use my most practiced and quick defence technic to try to wrestle the control of the fight from him. This would imply defending myself without any weapon in an attempt to stun him before he can kill me because I am better at this than knife fighting.

I know people who like to carry weapons to defend themselves, but don't know how to fight without any. That to me, is a really stupid idea. In any reasonnable scenario, you should expect the attacker to have a weapon already in hand and capable of using it. Your chances of drawing a weapon to defend yourself without your attacker injuring you or killing you before you even manage to do that are limited. Most combat instructor would recommand you put some distance or distabilise the attacker before you draw any weapon of your own to avoid getting the shit beated out of you.

In all circomstances, if I get into a real fight with an armed criminal, I have pretty much no chance of getting out of there with no injuries and I would say that I am most likely to lose. Unfortunately, my name is not Batman.

And yet the piddly little .32 I've carried daily for the last 15 years (without incident) would make a knife wielding punk look very, very stupid.......

You do it your way, I'll do it mine.

And, if you don't like the laws in Texas, best advice - don't go to Texas.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
15-07-2017, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 15-07-2017 02:05 PM by JesseB.)
(15-07-2017 01:23 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(15-07-2017 10:14 AM)epronovost Wrote:  The problem with these types of arguments is that most of them rely on a pretty huge case of ''Hollywood logic''. They rely on the fact that the victim can see the danger, but has no chance to escape before (or failed in a non-critical way), is faced by a single opponent who is similarly or inferiorly armed (surprising, but possible) and that somehow, that the attacker doesn't hold an important physical and experience advantage (very unlikely) and, despite all circomstances, that the victim retains a perfect cool to fight the attacker with a clear head.

And yet the piddly little .32 I've carried daily for the last 15 years (without incident) would make a knife wielding punk look very, very stupid.......

You do it your way, I'll do it mine.

And, if you don't like the laws in Texas, best advice - don't go to Texas.....

Never knew any of that was illegal to carry most anywhere, but then I grew up in Oregon, Washington, and California.... I mean in those places they ban butterfly knives, switchblade knives because they are concealable.

I don't like guns, not because I'm scared of them, but because they are fucking loud and I have progressive hearing loss. It's a genetic thing. I used to own a Walther P22 though. And would often shoot up at my parents property (few stories of guns involving my dad, but that's cause he's an alcoholic).

I don't assume anyone carrying a weapon legally is an idiot. I do assume anyone walking around with a Samurai sword or a Claymore is an idiot, unless they are dressed like they are goin to a renaissance fair or something. We got civil war, and revolutionary war re reenactors back east. People walking around with muskets ya know. Not really a big deal that.

Online Biker is kinda right, I mean in Texas you can carry a firearm, someone pulls out a knife or sword well ..... bout a dozen folks there that can pull out a .32 or 9mm or .45 and blow them away, like that scene from Indiana Jones.

I think there are problems involving violence, weapons, access to weapons. But I don't think banning weapons is some panacea, and even if it is, I don't think it's by default the way we should go. Bit more of a complex issue than that. Even if we ban all the pointed sticks the underlying source of the problem remains. I look at freaking out over weapons and access to weapons as often slightly misplaced fear. What we should be talking about first is what causes violence, which forms of violence are ok (self defense) and how to reduce forms of violence that are not ok (running around with a machete threatening people in public). I think focusing on the actual source of the violence problems in America will offer people more long lasting help. From a mental health perspective. Americans assume that a person who shoots 20 people is crazy, when in reality you're far more likely to engage in those activities as a perfectly sane individual. People aren't driven to those kind of acts easily. It usually requires decades of abuse from the people around them and society at large. Hyper focusing on guns, is like hyper focusing on books, or video games, it's not really the problem. The problem is the society that treats others so poorly that they are driven to extreme acts. OH WAIT, you mean ya'll are fucking responsible and complicit by how you treat others, and someone's asking you to be decent fucking human beings? Yea.... you're right that'll never happen. Lets just blame weapons and video games instead, and never actually fix this problem....

Just my 2 cents worth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anEuw8F8cpE

Here's a video game highlighting part of the problem. In countries where guns are banned rather than resort to voilence against others, they resort to suicide. So ya'll hating on guns just wanna turn the US into the suicide capitol of the world eh? Why not aim for a real solution. Please.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
15-07-2017, 02:00 PM
(15-07-2017 10:40 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Wonder how long it takes for the forum super-ninja to tell us how he can, and has, killed people with a toothpick...holding it with just his pinky fingers. Drinking Beverage

There's a forum super ninja? I never seen them before... OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH ninja, gotcha.

Better watch my back

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin