Bowie knives, swords, spears, daggers and machetes, now legal in Texas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2017, 02:01 PM
RE: Bowie knives, swords, spears, daggers and machetes, now legal in Texas
You know what they say:
When you outlaw Bowie knives, swords, spears, daggers and machetes, only outlaws will have Bowie knives, swords, spears, daggers and machetes.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2017, 02:04 PM
(14-07-2017 09:56 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(14-07-2017 09:39 PM)TheBear Wrote:  If a machete-wielding nutcase is approaching you and you have no place to run, what would be the better scenario; a: call the police or b: be armed with a machete yourself?

c: gasp, run, scream, fall on the floor for no specific reason, crawl for a few meters, get back up, scream some more, run again, hide behind a tree for a few seconds, catch my breath, get impaled against the tree by the machete-wielding nutcase who somehow managed to pass in front of me without me noticing him. I would also like to mention I was in underwear or in a very skimpy bikini during the entire scene and my date Douche the Jock (or Jock the Douche) was killed three minutes before.

That would be your own fault for forgetting your chainsaw. When you went to take a shower.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 3 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
15-07-2017, 02:20 PM
(15-07-2017 01:23 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And yet the piddly little .32 I've carried daily for the last 15 years (without incident) would make a knife wielding punk look very, very stupid.......

You do it your way, I'll do it mine.

You do you buddy. I'm just giving my opinion and providing my personnal experience on the subject and, in my opinion, if you don't know how to fight yourself, your gun is mostly usefull to protect other people from dangerous person and not that much yourself. Take what you want from that. Weapons are not a substitute for fighting skills, they are a complement.

(15-07-2017 01:23 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And, if you don't like the laws in Texas, best advice - don't go to Texas.....

To late for that. I went in a lot of places where I don't like laws and still had fun. Texas is still a nice place even if they have stupid habits and laws.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
15-07-2017, 02:21 PM
(15-07-2017 02:20 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(15-07-2017 01:23 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And yet the piddly little .32 I've carried daily for the last 15 years (without incident) would make a knife wielding punk look very, very stupid.......

You do it your way, I'll do it mine.

You do you buddy. I'm just giving my opinion and providing my personnal experience on the subject and, in my opinion, if you don't know how to fight yourself, your gun is mostly usefull to protect other people from dangerous person and not that much yourself. Take what you want from that. Weapons are not a substitute for fighting skills, they are a complement.

(15-07-2017 01:23 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And, if you don't like the laws in Texas, best advice - don't go to Texas.....

To late for that. I went in a lot of places where I don't like laws and still had fun. Texas is still a nice place even if they have stupid habits and laws.

>.> When I lived in Texas, I was far more scared of Texans than I was of guns....

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
15-07-2017, 02:24 PM
(15-07-2017 02:04 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  
(14-07-2017 09:56 PM)epronovost Wrote:  c: gasp, run, scream, fall on the floor for no specific reason, crawl for a few meters, get back up, scream some more, run again, hide behind a tree for a few seconds, catch my breath, get impaled against the tree by the machete-wielding nutcase who somehow managed to pass in front of me without me noticing him. I would also like to mention I was in underwear or in a very skimpy bikini during the entire scene and my date Douche the Jock (or Jock the Douche) was killed three minutes before.

That would be your own fault for forgetting your chainsaw. When you went to take a shower.

Yeah...shower... that's what I was doing in the bathroom with Douche the Jock.Rolleyes

Serves me right for being slutty. If only I was the down to earth and nice brunette. I would have survived! It could have been worst though. I could have been a black dude.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
15-07-2017, 02:25 PM
(15-07-2017 02:21 PM)JesseB Wrote:  >.> When I lived in Texas, I was far more scared of Texans than I was of guns....

As well you should be. Drinking Beverage

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
15-07-2017, 02:32 PM
Just a matter of time before I’m legally allowed to drive one of these down the streets of Dallas Laugh out load

[Image: Tank_-_Film_Poster.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
15-07-2017, 02:34 PM
(15-07-2017 02:24 PM)epronovost Wrote:  If only I was the down to earth and nice brunette. I would have survived!

Phew, I am safe then! [Image: img.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Femoticoner.com%...smiley.gif]

Anyway, I'm in Brazil, so I just make sure I always have a banana or two upon my person...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
15-07-2017, 02:38 PM
(15-07-2017 10:14 AM)epronovost Wrote:  
(15-07-2017 04:35 AM)TheBear Wrote:  In the US, there's probably not too many cases where a machete-wielding nut job corners someone. You're right about that. That's not saying that no one has ever cornered someone while wielding a machete. And I only used that as an extreme example. Something which occurs with much more frequency; someone being cornered by a knife-wielding thug. In that situation, where you're chased down an alley by a knife-wielding thug, and with no way out, would you prefer to be armed or unarmed? Do you want a fighting chance to live, or do want to just lay down and die?

The problem with these types of arguments is that most of them rely on a pretty huge case of ''Hollywood logic''. They rely on the fact that the victim can see the danger, but has no chance to escape before (or failed in a non-critical way), is faced by a single opponent who is similarly or inferiorly armed (surprising, but possible) and that somehow, that the attacker doesn't hold an important physical and experience advantage (very unlikely) and, despite all circomstances, that the victim retains a perfect cool to fight the attacker with a clear head.

Personnaly, if I find myself in your perfect scenario against a knife wielding thug, I would rather be unarmed because it actualy increase my fighting chances. Logically, I would have to draw my knife to fight back while he would already have is knife in hand. The time I draw my weapon he can use to stab/cut me with his own, grapple me, punch and kick me, etc. At the start of any fight, the attacker has the momemtum and controls how the fight is going to go. I am an experienced martial artist. I have practiced karate for 12 years and chinese boxing for 3 years. I only have a few dozen hours of experience at knife fighting and some of these were dedicated to fight an person armed with a knife without any yourself. Thus, I am much more capable and performant without a weapon than with one (especially a small concealable knife). Finally, if I am attacked and cornered by a knife-wielding thug, I would expect this thug to have some good practical experience both in street fighting and knife fighting. I would also expect this person to have a few years of classic martial art or combat sport under its belt since it's rather common. because it's a person with a very violent lifestyle. In a fair fight, my chances of winning are low (and the chances of having the circomstances of the fight in my favors are practically null). My best bet is to use my most practiced and quick defence technic to try to wrestle the control of the fight from him. This would imply defending myself without any weapon in an attempt to stun him before he can kill me because I am better at this than knife fighting.

I know people who like to carry weapons to defend themselves, but don't know how to fight without any. That to me, is a really stupid idea. In any reasonnable scenario, you should expect the attacker to have a weapon already in hand and capable of using it. Your chances of drawing a weapon to defend yourself without your attacker injuring you or killing you before you even manage to do that are limited. Most combat instructor would recommand you put some distance or distabilise the attacker before you draw any weapon of your own to avoid getting the shit beated out of you.

In all circomstances, if I get into a real fight with an armed criminal, I have pretty much no chance of getting out of there with no injuries and I would say that I am most likely to lose. Unfortunately, my name is not Batman.

I can fight armed or unarmed (and have). Really it doesn't make much difference to me if I'm armed and they are, if I'm unarmed and they are armed. The best a weapon can do against a single opponent (and only if you know what your'e doing) is increase % chances of walking away. It's too much a cluster fuck to make a definitive judgement when you face an opponent determined to pay any price to live. That said, I never carry weapons unless I'm REALLY expecting trouble (Like right after Trump was elected. I had my doors locked and some makeshift weapons close by, and someone did try to get in at once point. Thankfully they weren't expecting the door to be locked and the noise attracted some attention from landlords they ended up running off). When I used to carry a gun it was only to the range n back in a locked case all legal like ammo stored separately. I shot because it was fun and requires some skill. I did taekwando for a while, but I didn't learn to fight from taekwando. I learned to fight from having plenty of bullies and a drunk ass dad to practice on. Honestly people who take karate and think they can fight amuse me. You're talking about sports. A fight is something you can only learn to do from first hand experience. When someone comes at you intending to kill you, that's not something you can recreate in a Dojo, you can't anticipate the emotional impact that event will have on you or how you'll react. I mean it's kinda the same with surviving some extreme on the job accident situations. You either react and live or don't and don't. The kind of training they put military folks through is simple short things they practice so much they can do it in their sleep. The kinda things you learn in a Dojo outside of a sports match is pretty useless in most cases. I think anyway.

Now a gun against a group of people can be a more effective deterrent. I mean you could say well they'll just all rush you. Except in the minds of everyone there they all know if they do that someone's not walking away. Like I said deterrent, not that you'll fight off a group of people. You'll make them think twice, cause what a gun is, is a force multiplier. Far more useful against multiple opponents than one in many cases. (though a shotgun can make a very distinctive sound and can really freeze the blood of anyone who hears it, which can also be effective). The folks that talk about being armed I don't think are using Hollywood logic so much as understanding that it changes the dynamics. There's also an emotional non logical factor in that they just feel safer (even if they aren't). I mean ultimately life and death is just a coin toss, if you're in a situation like that.... in the end regardless of any other factor.... it's just random dude. You can lie to yourself all you want and say it was skill or weapon or whatever that got you through, but.... nope, you either "got lucky" or you didn't and that's the cold hard reality.

Edit^ most people where I live are armed. not to protect themselves against people, but to protect themselves against bears and mountain lions, we've had a few people attacked and mauled and I know one guy has killed at least 6 bears in the last 2 summers, they were comin around his house looking for food, they don't much care if that food is a person, trash or dog.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
15-07-2017, 03:05 PM
This just seems appropriate.

"The graveyards are full of people the world could not do without." -Elbert Hubbard

And a later version for any who fail to comprehend.

"Young man, as you perambulate down the pathway of life toward an unavoidable bald head bordered with gray hairs it would be well to bear in mind that the cemeteries are full of men this world could not get along without, and note the fact that things move along after each funeral procession at about the same gait they went before. It makes no difference how important you may be, don’t get the idea under your hat that this world can’t get along without you." —Abilene Reporter.

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post