Bowie knives, swords, spears, daggers and machetes, now legal in Texas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2017, 03:43 PM
RE: Bowie knives, swords, spears, daggers and machetes, now legal in Texas
(15-07-2017 01:23 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And yet the piddly little .32 I've carried daily for the last 15 years (without incident) would make a knife wielding punk look very, very stupid.......
How do you imagine that would go down?
Would the knife weilding guy give you some warning? Perhaps you stand 12 feet apart and draw on the count of ten?
Perhaps he is waving his knife from a distance and screaming at you while running towards you?

Or perhaps he comes up behind you, knive cunningly concealed and next minute you feel a knife at your throat before you know anything is happening. Then what? You pull your gun, spin around and shoot him, laughing?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
15-07-2017, 04:10 PM
(15-07-2017 10:40 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Wonder how long it takes for the forum super-ninja to tell us how he can, and has, killed people with a toothpick...holding it with just his pinky fingers. Drinking Beverage

Pff. I almost killed myself with a tooth pick. True story. I used to used round wood toothpicks to clean my teeth after lunch. I felt an asthma attack coming on, so I whipped out my rescue inhaler and puffed the inhaler. I had the toothpick jammed in the corner of my mouth, but not well enough, and got it in my throat. I managed to get it out, but that was pretty scary.
15-07-2017, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 15-07-2017 09:14 PM by Anjele.)
(15-07-2017 04:10 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(15-07-2017 10:40 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Wonder how long it takes for the forum super-ninja to tell us how he can, and has, killed people with a toothpick...holding it with just his pinky fingers. Drinking Beverage

Pff. I almost killed myself with a tooth pick. True story. I used to used round wood toothpicks to clean my teeth after lunch. I felt an asthma attack coming on, so I whipped out my rescue inhaler and puffed the inhaler. I had the toothpick jammed in the corner of my mouth, but not well enough, and got it in my throat. I managed to get it out, but that was pretty scary.

Yabut...bet the resident ninja killer has killed many, I am sure there are stories of those glory days.

Glad they didn't have to put 'Death by Toothpick' on a headstone for ya. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
15-07-2017, 05:26 PM
(15-07-2017 04:27 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(15-07-2017 04:10 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Pff. I almost killed myself with a tooth pick. True story. I used to used round wood toothpicks to clean my teeth after lunch. I felt an asthma attack coming on, so I whipped out my rescue inhaler and puffed the inhaler. I had the toothpick jammed in the corner of my mouth, but not well enough, and got it in my throat. I managed to get it out, but that was pretty scary.

Yabut...bet the resident ninja killer has killed many, I sure there are stories of those glory days.

Glad they didn't have to put 'Death by Toothpick' on a headstone for ya. Thumbsup

Thanks! And I don't have anything in my mouth when I use the inhaler, now. Though since we put in laminate flooring, my asthma has almost completely disappeared. When we first moved in I was up to 10 inhalations a day, on two different inhalers. Once all the cat-urine and dander laden carpet was removed, poof! We had the carpet cleaned several times, but there was only one real solution.
15-07-2017, 05:29 PM
(15-07-2017 05:26 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(15-07-2017 04:27 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Yabut...bet the resident ninja killer has killed many, I sure there are stories of those glory days.

Thanks! And I don't have anything in my mouth when I use the inhaler, now. Though since we put in laminate flooring, my asthma has almost completely disappeared. When we first moved in I was up to 10 inhalations a day, on two different inhalers. Once all the cat-urine and dander laden carpet was removed, poof! We had the carpet cleaned several times, but there was only one real solution.

Thanks to the storm last year and my refusal to budge on the issue we no longer have any carpet in the house. I may not suffer a sinus related death after all.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
15-07-2017, 08:46 PM (This post was last modified: 15-07-2017 08:58 PM by JesseB.)
(15-07-2017 03:43 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(15-07-2017 01:23 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And yet the piddly little .32 I've carried daily for the last 15 years (without incident) would make a knife wielding punk look very, very stupid.......
How do you imagine that would go down?
Would the knife weilding guy give you some warning? Perhaps you stand 12 feet apart and draw on the count of ten?
Perhaps he is waving his knife from a distance and screaming at you while running towards you?

Or perhaps he comes up behind you, knive cunningly concealed and next minute you feel a knife at your throat before you know anything is happening. Then what? You pull your gun, spin around and shoot him, laughing?

This is absurd, if someone comes at you with a knife you're going to get cut dude. Just deal with it. A knife isn't going to instantly kill you, it's not the fucking movies or a video game dude. Whenever you notice you're being attacked the most important thing when fighting off your assailant if armed is to make sure you buy some space before you try and draw your weapon. That means pushing them as hard as you can to get them on the ground. Then draw your weapon without it becoming a battle over the gun itself. If they notice you're armed and go for the gun as well it becomes a crap shoot but one of you will die and your chances of being the one that dies goes up to 50/50. In no way however do you need early warning against a knife in order to survive, You're simply not likly to be instantly killed with a knife.

How often when hearing about attacks with a knife do people get stabbed 70 times? There's a reason for this one isn't gonna fucking do the job. during this time there's a struggle in most cases. Dude quit with the imaginary scenarios that make no sense please.

There's other potential strategies involved and other approaches for both armed and unarmed. but clearly your counter point is asinine. You don't need 12 feet of space to draw your weapon and you don't need early warning. THOUGH unless you're a total idiot you'll know something is up long before you get attacked in some if not many cases and you'll have time to prepare. It's hard to get that fucking close to a person in a deserted place without drawing attention to yourself. In a crowd it's easier but you're far less likely to be randomly stabbed in a crowed dude. I hate these bad counter points. There's good points in favor of banning weapons or more strictly controlling weapons, but this one is ass and people should stop using it. Only someone who's never experienced an oh shit situation could come up with such a ridiculous idea on how this shit goes down.

Edit^ also if you do notice someone coming at you before they get close enough to harm you pulling a gun will de escalate the situation real fast as they run for the hills. There wont' even be a fight IF you have enough time to pull a gun (in most cases). People attacking you aren't looking for you to fight back. They target the lowest hanging fruit if they can (aka idiots like you who somehow think that a stab with a knife is instant death or that someone with a knife can always instantly kill a person with a gun without a struggle in perfect safety, I mean come on dude just what are you trying to insinuate with that asinine comment. Aside from being condescending all it accomplishes is showing how little you understand about the issue and how easily you parrot bad arguments). It's not hard to mark an easy victim, not with a con and not with violence either. Anyone can do it with a little effort, it's kinda why it's such a problem, it's too easy for people to learn.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
15-07-2017, 09:03 PM
Personally, the best strategy for avoiding being attacked is to avoid opportunities for people to attack you. I'm very proactive with this given my past experiences. You can't however anticipate everything, but you can reduce the likely hood. I think most people freak out WAY too much about violence. Like Statistics are a thing and most people aren't going to experience that kinda violent attack to begin with. It varies on location and other factors, however, most of the bad arguments both in favor of weapons and opposed to weapons are all formed from utter ignorance and I think it's cause most people just get some weird TV based idea on what violence is. If you've been there you're not gonna say some of the dumb fuck things I hear from BOTH sides of that debate.

Much of the violence out there comes from a bit closer to home anyway. Someone you know that you pissed off (like me opening my big mouth on these forums) sending people into a rage. Or domestic abuse ect.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
15-07-2017, 11:38 PM
(15-07-2017 08:46 PM)JesseB Wrote:  There's other potential strategies involved and other approaches for both armed and unarmed. but clearly your counter point is asinine. You don't need 12 feet of space to draw your weapon and you don't need early warning. THOUGH unless you're a total idiot you'll know something is up long before you get attacked in some if not many cases and you'll have time to prepare. It's hard to get that fucking close to a person in a deserted place without drawing attention to yourself.
People with knives won't ask for a draw at sundown, of course that scenario is absurd, also they won't wave their knife and chase at you from a distance, unless of course they are high on drugs.. So again an absurd scenario, but if those came true then yip your gun will be handy against the knife.

However, in the situation that they get a knife onto you before you know they have intent then it's too late to pull your gun.

I feel online biker's statement about having a gun against a knife is a bit absurd because it won't be a fair fight. The guy protecting himself with the gun will already be on the pointy end of the knife before he even reaches for his gun. Carrying a loaded weapon is a false sense of security.

The best thing you can do is to avoid those situations, don't provoke people, don't walk alone down dark secluded alleys. If the guy has a knife on you already, and you don't have sufficient training to deal with it, then comply, give them your money. Even if you do have sufficient training, unless you think they intend to kill you, just give them your money.
16-07-2017, 01:32 AM
Folks,

It must have been terrible for those poor Texans having only guns to protect themselves. Sadcryface

Thankfully, this new law will make the streets safer for everyone. Smile

D.
[+] 2 users Like Dworkin's post
16-07-2017, 03:27 AM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2017 03:59 AM by JesseB.)
(15-07-2017 11:38 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(15-07-2017 08:46 PM)JesseB Wrote:  There's other potential strategies involved and other approaches for both armed and unarmed. but clearly your counter point is asinine. You don't need 12 feet of space to draw your weapon and you don't need early warning. THOUGH unless you're a total idiot you'll know something is up long before you get attacked in some if not many cases and you'll have time to prepare. It's hard to get that fucking close to a person in a deserted place without drawing attention to yourself.
People with knives won't ask for a draw at sundown, of course that scenario is absurd, also they won't wave their knife and chase at you from a distance, unless of course they are high on drugs.. So again an absurd scenario, but if those came true then yip your gun will be handy against the knife.

However, in the situation that they get a knife onto you before you know they have intent then it's too late to pull your gun.

I feel online biker's statement about having a gun against a knife is a bit absurd because it won't be a fair fight. The guy protecting himself with the gun will already be on the pointy end of the knife before he even reaches for his gun. Carrying a loaded weapon is a false sense of security.

The best thing you can do is to avoid those situations, don't provoke people, don't walk alone down dark secluded alleys. If the guy has a knife on you already, and you don't have sufficient training to deal with it, then comply, give them your money. Even if you do have sufficient training, unless you think they intend to kill you, just give them your money.

Look dude, If I need to protect myself I go for blunt force trauma, but I have the weight, experience and strength and speed to make effective use of it, far more so than a knife, if you wanna kill someone with a knife (or a gun for that matter) it takes a whole hell of a lot of practice to make it quick. With a blunt object you can stop them, killing them is neither here nor there if your life is in danger you do what you gotta do to survive. You're being absurd. Yes Onlinebiker would most likely get stabbed but your assumption that a gun is useless is also somewhat absurd, it wouldn't be over that quick and a concealed carry is certainly better than nothing at all. However, like the whole situations a bit absurd to begin with, the likelyhood of someone attacking you with a knife is really quite low. Especially the likelyhood of someone just sneaking up on you to attack you with a knife. If you end up in a violent situation it's not likely gonna be some random fucker in a dark ally trying to sneak up on you, it's most likely gonna be a broadcasted fight with someone pissed off about something and most likely gonna be someone you fucking know.

I mean really your entire proposal is ridiculous from beginning to end. The world isn't filled with psychopaths stalking every person hiding in their showers looking to knife them when they least expect it. Stop watching so many fucking movies dude. The most likely place to find a psychopath is within the richest 1% Violence is committed by normal fuckers, not crazy people or psychopaths. Dude fucking hell. It's an emotional thing, this paranoia of psychopaths lacking emotion and empathy trying to kill everyone in a dark ally is silly. They want to gain something so sure they'll kill you by poisoning you with bad company policy, bribing law makers to allow it. No they simply aren't likely to kill you the way you describe. You seriously are detached from reality or rather lacking real world experience. You say stupid things like "they won't wave their knife around" really? you don't think they will? I've seen people do that in real life. Been stabbed too fucker. Quit with the insane bullshit. If you want to make an informed decision on how to fix the problem of violence in the US the first fucking thing you need to learn to do is look at fucking reality not these imaginary fantasies you have. Onlinebiker's approach isn't that crazy especially considering I doubt very much she could make an effective use of a baseball bat the way I could. Or could really make a fucker think twice with the weight of her fists like I could. IF she practices a shit ton she could learn how to trip people into sharp hard corners which is always a great idea if you can swing it. but you see what I mean? She shoots a lot, I don't think her using a firearm for protection is a crazy idea, you know what I think is a crazy idea? Making up bullshit scenarios that don't fucking happen in real life and pretending that's justification for your argument.

Want a real life example? Now this one thankfully didn't end in violence but it was a fucking near miss. Few months ago I got into it with a fucking tweaker who just got out of jail. I knew his girlfriend and told her she should stop fucking around with a guy half her age who's in prison, she's got a kid to think about. He got out and was pissed at me for what I said. He came after me but she was there to stop him. I got pissed at her and her friend for spreading rumors about me and told them to leave me alone, wasn't interested in being friends if they were gonna start trouble. Especially not when she and her friend was fucking saying the same shit I was about her deadbeat boyfriend. Her friend was upset that I lumped the two of them together in all of this, so she came over to my house to chew me out for blaming her too. Now normally I'd have opened the door a crack while placing my heel wedged behind it, that way if someone tried to force through they'd get abruptly stopped then I'd throw my hip into the door to slam it shut. I have the weight to pull something off like that, but I fucked up big time. Not knowing that tweaker bitch had a older bigger brother who had just started dating the friend (he was released from prison the same time), I opened the door and stepped outside, I didn't even make it through the door when the brother who had his back against the wall next to the door started to move on me. He was expecting trouble, however he wasn't there to beat me up, which is good cause even if I won I wouldn't have walked away without getting seriously hurt. We came close to a fight but in the end talked it out. For being a dealer, convict, the brother is a lot smarter than the tweaker and a lot more rational. He's been pretty nice since we talked everything out. I haven't seen the tweaker and I heard his girlfriend went to jail for assaulting him in a domestic abuse call to 911. Apparently tweakers don't kick the habit hard and she was fed up with him. Assaulted him when she caught him getting high.

You wanna fucking know how violence happens? That's fucking how. Your entire idea on violence is asinine.

Like I said there's good reasons for wanting to limit or ban weapons of any/every kind. It's just your argument that is stupid.

Edit^ Honestly batman villains have more depth and character than your flimsy imagination. Come spend some time in the ghetto with me if you wanna learn about violence. I know where to find it I can show you first hand exactly how it occurs in any form you wanna see. I know who sells meth around here, I know who uses meth around here, I know who gets drunk and picks fights on a regular basis. And I know who around me has a concealed weapon at all times, and I know which of those likes me and is not likely to kill me and who doesn't like me so much. I know where the threats are and how likely those threats are to come into my home (several of them are quite likely currently. Got an ex con who's prolly not too happy I confirmed for his former boss that he was stealing. Granted I was polite enough not to rat out the fence he was using, or the dealer he was getting his shit from, mostly cause those guys are heavy hitters that would come after me and do a LOT more damage than this old fuckin addict, also I had to come clean cause his boss thought I was somehow involved and well his boss is usually quite nice to me and lets me use his laundry facilities. I sure as hell didn't wanna loose access to an easy way to clean my clothes just to have the back of some addict that can't get his shit straight). But I pay attention, and I'm poor. So violence is always close to home for me. Spoiled fucking brat, get some life experience. You wanna see violence go work on an oil rig, get around some good ol boys see how long you last. Like I said the best deterrent to stay safe is to not be the lowest hanging fruit. It's far more effective than a gun will ever be.

Oh and don't be black, if you're black the cops will be shooting at you too. Sucks but that's life in Murica.

Big Grin