Bowie knives, swords, spears, daggers and machetes, now legal in Texas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2017, 11:42 AM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2017 11:49 AM by adey67.)
RE: Bowie knives, swords, spears, daggers and machetes, now legal in Texas
(16-07-2017 11:31 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(16-07-2017 11:06 AM)adey67 Wrote:  For me it is a strange almost surreal situation when I get involved in America and its guns and laws relating to guns. America is so advanced in science medicine and astronomy but yet so backwards in regards firearms and social justice, I'm really sorry to have to say but it reminds me of an idiot savant, super clever in some areas but super dumb in others. Personally I believe other members here have convinced me that guns are necessary in the USA due to both distance of police in rural areas and availability of firearms generally.
This saddens me and I wish you guys didn't have to live in fear unless fear is an excuse to have un fettered access to firearms just for the hell of it, I hope not but how can I know ?
I don't live in fear.

There are those who do live in fear. I am cautious but not fearful.

I'm glad to hear that but fear of home invasion death crime etc is a recurring feature of the apologetics of gun ownership and unfettered access to firearms , my point is its so hard to know how much of that is true and how much is an excuse to have as much firepower as one desires just for the hell of it. Personally I don't know but so much of America's firearms legislation seems actually based on fear of a bogeyman, ... X might happen to you so you need Y firearm.
America is a huge country and you need firearms to hunt, but do you really need almost unfettered access to Mac 10 submachine guns.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-07-2017, 11:50 AM
(16-07-2017 11:42 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(16-07-2017 11:31 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I don't live in fear.

There are those who do live in fear. I am cautious but not fearful.

I'm glad to hear that but fear of home invasion death crime etc is a recurring feature of the apologetics of gun ownership and unfettered access to firearms , my point is its so hard to know how much of that is true and how much is an excuse to have as much firepower as one desires just for the hell of it. Personally I don't know but so much of America's firearms legislation seems actually based on creating fear of a bogeyman, ... X might happen to you so you need Y firearm

I grew up in Iowa where most of the men hunted. There were guns in nearly every home. Farms had them for hunting pests and for putting down animals. I have lived around guns my whole life. I would ride on dad's shoulders when I was little while he tramped through the woods looking to shoot rabbit and squirrel to put meat on the table. I was taught respect for guns and knew what they are capable of.

I was military for a time and have shot an M-16, an M-60 machine gun, as well as shooting a LAW and throwing a hand grenade. There were women I was in training with who were peeing themselves over the thought of handling a weapon...they were the scary ones...the ones I didn't like being on the range with.

As for fear...I am more worried about idiot drivers killing me in a collision as it's much more likely to happen on any given day.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
16-07-2017, 11:56 AM
(16-07-2017 11:50 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(16-07-2017 11:42 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I'm glad to hear that but fear of home invasion death crime etc is a recurring feature of the apologetics of gun ownership and unfettered access to firearms , my point is its so hard to know how much of that is true and how much is an excuse to have as much firepower as one desires just for the hell of it. Personally I don't know but so much of America's firearms legislation seems actually based on creating fear of a bogeyman, ... X might happen to you so you need Y firearm

I grew up in Iowa where most of the men hunted. There were guns in nearly every home. Farms had them for hunting pests and for putting down animals. I have lived around guns my whole life. I would ride on dad's shoulders when I was little while he tramped through the woods looking to shoot rabbit and squirrel to put meat on the table. I was taught respect for guns and knew what they are capable of.

I was military for a time and have shot an M-16, an M-60 machine gun, as well as shooting a LAW and throwing a hand grenade. There were women I was in training with who were peeing themselves over the thought of handling a weapon...they were the scary ones...the ones I didn't like being on the range with.

As for fear...I am more worried about idiot drivers killing me in a collision as it's much more likely to happen on any given day.

That makes sense, I edited my post to include the need to hunt which you certainly do require, I'm more thinking about gun collector's and submachine guns etc, have a gun that's cool as long as its useful controlled by the authorities etc and it serves a purpose but so much of USA gun ownership seems to be related to prestige and kudos rather than need or usefulness.
16-07-2017, 12:03 PM
(16-07-2017 11:56 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(16-07-2017 11:50 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I grew up in Iowa where most of the men hunted. There were guns in nearly every home. Farms had them for hunting pests and for putting down animals. I have lived around guns my whole life. I would ride on dad's shoulders when I was little while he tramped through the woods looking to shoot rabbit and squirrel to put meat on the table. I was taught respect for guns and knew what they are capable of.

That makes sense, I edited my post to include the need to hunt which you certainly do require, I'm more thinking about gun collector's and submachine guns etc, have a gun that's cool as long as its useful controlled by the authorities etc and it serves a purpose but so much of USA gun ownership seems to be related to prestige and kudos rather than need or usefulness.

My dad found and redid antique guns. He was quite good at it. He didn't shoot them, in fact, I am not sure they could be fired. What is wrong with collecting guns? Dad didn't even have ammo that would work in most of the guns he rebuilt. What and who were they hurting? He liked them...he liked the process of reworking the stocks and the metal pieces.

A collector is not the same as the survivalists who stockpile working weapons and caches of ammunition.

Hell, KC collects swords, IIRC. Because they could cause injury should that be outlawed?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

16-07-2017, 12:22 PM
(16-07-2017 12:03 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(16-07-2017 11:56 AM)adey67 Wrote:  That makes sense, I edited my post to include the need to hunt which you certainly do require, I'm more thinking about gun collector's and submachine guns etc, have a gun that's cool as long as its useful controlled by the authorities etc and it serves a purpose but so much of USA gun ownership seems to be related to prestige and kudos rather than need or usefulness.

My dad found and redid antique guns. He was quite good at it. He didn't shoot them, in fact, I am not sure they could be fired. What is wrong with collecting guns? Dad didn't even have ammo that would work in most of the guns he rebuilt. What and who were they hurting? He liked them...he liked the process of reworking the stocks and the metal pieces.

A collector is not the same as the survivalists who stockpile working weapons and caches of ammunition.

Hell, KC collects swords, IIRC. Because they could cause injury should that be outlawed?

There's a huge difference between bladed weapons and firearms Imo and I see this argument frequently in America personally I find it unconvincing and a way to justify unfettered firearms access just because, but I'm not American and I realise your values and culture are different in this area, so ill leave it there otherwise it could get angry and I don't want anger or division between us its not worth it, I value our friendship too much for that.
16-07-2017, 12:25 PM
(16-07-2017 12:22 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(16-07-2017 12:03 PM)Anjele Wrote:  My dad found and redid antique guns. He was quite good at it. He didn't shoot them, in fact, I am not sure they could be fired. What is wrong with collecting guns? Dad didn't even have ammo that would work in most of the guns he rebuilt. What and who were they hurting? He liked them...he liked the process of reworking the stocks and the metal pieces.

There's a huge difference between bladed weapons and firearms Imo and I see this argument frequently in America personally I find it unconvincing and a way to justify unfettered firearms access just because, but I'm not American and I realise your values and culture are different in this area, so ill leave it there otherwise it could get angry and I don't want anger or division between us its not worth it, I value our friendship too much for that.

You misunderstand, I am not even close to fighting with you about anything. Chances are you will know when I am.

I see you didn't comment on my point that there is a difference between collectors and those who intend to use the weapons they have.

16-07-2017, 12:30 PM
I also take your point about antique guns but collecting antique fire arms was not what I was talking about, as far as I'm aware many Americans collect considerable quantities of non antique fire arms
16-07-2017, 12:32 PM
(16-07-2017 12:30 PM)adey67 Wrote:  I also take your point about antique guns but collecting antique fire arms was not what I was talking about, as far as I'm aware many Americans collect considerable quantities of non antique fire arms

I need to ask for a citation as well as clarification on 'many' and 'considerable'.

16-07-2017, 12:39 PM
(16-07-2017 12:32 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(16-07-2017 12:30 PM)adey67 Wrote:  I also take your point about antique guns but collecting antique fire arms was not what I was talking about, as far as I'm aware many Americans collect considerable quantities of non antique fire arms

I need to ask for a citation as well as clarification on 'many' and 'considerable'.
Ahh now ya got me girl, I'm bustedWink I was basing it on many documentary and news programs on tv in the UK as well as the odd comment on TTA. I'm pretty sure I'm right but I have to be honest and say I cannot back it up with citations.
16-07-2017, 12:43 PM
(16-07-2017 12:25 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(16-07-2017 12:22 PM)adey67 Wrote:  There's a huge difference between bladed weapons and firearms Imo and I see this argument frequently in America personally I find it unconvincing and a way to justify unfettered firearms access just because, but I'm not American and I realise your values and culture are different in this area, so ill leave it there otherwise it could get angry and I don't want anger or division between us its not worth it, I value our friendship too much for that.

You misunderstand, I am not even close to fighting with you about anything. Chances are you will know when I am.

I see you didn't comment on my point that there is a difference between collectors and those who intend to use the weapons they have.

I absolutely believe you that I would know if we were falling out. Wink