Boxing Ring Commentary - Dark Phoenix Vs. Call of the Wild- Round 2

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2015, 10:18 AM
RE: Boxing Ring Commentary - Dark Phoenix Vs. Call of the Wild- Round 2
(17-09-2015 05:25 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  wow, DP is mopping the floor with COTW, especially that last post. Nicely done.

Where is Round 1.?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2015, 12:08 PM
(05-10-2015 09:21 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 12:40 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  The only thing keeping me from hiring a private investigator to find COTW so I can brutalize him with my fists for his pompous, arrogant attitude

Aw Fodder...no need to hire a private investigator to find me....I gave my phone number out on here...so just come right on to Phoenix, AZ...and when you get here...call me.

Then we will see what those fists can do Cool

I try to avoid the "internet tough guy" routine and was more trying to paint a picture of how frustrating your arrogant, proud, willful ignorance can be but....

...quite ironically a friend of mine is headed out to Phoenix and invited me along if I could handle it financially. If I'm able, I'd be happy to come and discuss TTA like topics with you and see if that brash, dismissive stupidity works in a face to face setting.

If things went south, your history here suggests that even if I gave you The Dark Phoenix: Physical Edition, you'll still claim victory.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
06-10-2015, 12:35 PM
(05-10-2015 12:08 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I try to avoid the "internet tough guy" routine and was more trying to paint a picture of how frustrating your arrogant

I am no more arrogant than your comrades on here.

(05-10-2015 12:08 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  , proud

Proud to be a Christian and defender of the Truth.

(05-10-2015 12:08 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  willful ignorance

Willful rejection of voodoo science (evolution).

(05-10-2015 12:08 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  ...quite ironically a friend of mine is headed out to Phoenix and invited me along if I could handle it financially. If I'm able, I'd be happy to come and discuss TTA like topics with you and see if that brash, dismissive stupidity works in a face to face setting.

It will work Cool

(05-10-2015 12:08 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  If things went south, your history here suggests that even if I gave you The Dark Phoenix: Physical Edition, you'll still claim victory.

And if I took you for a walk on the Wild Side....
06-10-2015, 12:48 PM
(06-10-2015 12:35 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  I am no more arrogant than your comrades on here.

But many people here aren't

(06-10-2015 12:35 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Proud to be a Christian and defender of the Truth.

sadly not reality

(06-10-2015 12:35 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  Willful rejection of voodoo science (evolution).

well seeing how there is more evidence for evolution than gravity, it isn't a voodoo science.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
23-10-2015, 12:46 AM
I would not normally comment in this thread. I talk enough in the damned debate to make anybody say tldr. However, since COTW is already here, what the hell.

Can we talk about format? It is a real trial for me. I think sometimes as much as half of COTW's posts is repetitive, redundant, content that wouldn't be necessary if he responded more broadly, rather than line by line. I could probably edit out another five to ten percent of his stuff by eliminating comments like "I beg to freakin differ" etc. It is also an eyesore. The walls of text I write don't strike me as all that pleasing to the eyes, but those quote bubbles are definitely worse. Am I just being a self centered ass, or am I on to something here? I have been bothered by this since post 1, but the debate didn't seem like the place to talk about it. Besides, who am I to tell anybody how to post?

Also, where do we think I am screwing up? I think I knew one or two places where I wish I had argued differently, but I thought maybe someone else had noticed a few I missed. For example, I think my views on Naturalism are evolving because of this conversation. I have always entertained, if only because I can't prove otherwise with mathematical perfection, that origins might be supernatural. However, what COTW is saying, despite the false dichotomy, has an element of obvious truth. What does it matter if this supernatural creator or cause is called a god, or a bunch of cosmic fairies? It seems to me, either way, the argument is God of the Gaps. So should I really hold that view anymore? It never struck me as God of the Gaps until now. Thoughts?

Also any ideas? Have I missed an obvious point of rebuttal or necessary questioning? Thoughts?

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
23-10-2015, 07:23 AM
DP - I think your are doing a wonderful job of presenting your case and countering COW's claims. The format is mostly preference for me, and I do like style you use as it reads and flows nicely. Some folks do prefer the answer each point separately and one after another style. Again, you have a great skill at writing in this format so keep it up!

As far as what is missing - nothing IMO. It does not matter if you step on a bug with empty hands, or step on it with both arms full of bricks, it does not matter to the bug. In this case, there is nothing more you need to do or say to be more effective - your opponent is a closed door.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 2 users Like Timber1025's post
23-10-2015, 01:17 PM
(23-10-2015 12:46 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  I would not normally comment in this thread. I talk enough in the damned debate to make anybody say tldr. However, since COTW is already here, what the hell.

Can we talk about format? It is a real trial for me. I think sometimes as much as half of COTW's posts is repetitive, redundant, content that wouldn't be necessary if he responded more broadly, rather than line by line. I could probably edit out another five to ten percent of his stuff by eliminating comments like "I beg to freakin differ" etc. It is also an eyesore. The walls of text I write don't strike me as all that pleasing to the eyes, but those quote bubbles are definitely worse. Am I just being a self centered ass, or am I on to something here? I have been bothered by this since post 1, but the debate didn't seem like the place to talk about it. Besides, who am I to tell anybody how to post?

Also, where do we think I am screwing up? I think I knew one or two places where I wish I had argued differently, but I thought maybe someone else had noticed a few I missed. For example, I think my views on Naturalism are evolving because of this conversation. I have always entertained, if only because I can't prove otherwise with mathematical perfection, that origins might be supernatural. However, what COTW is saying, despite the false dichotomy, has an element of obvious truth. What does it matter if this supernatural creator or cause is called a god, or a bunch of cosmic fairies? It seems to me, either way, the argument is God of the Gaps. So should I really hold that view anymore? It never struck me as God of the Gaps until now. Thoughts?

Also any ideas? Have I missed an obvious point of rebuttal or necessary questioning? Thoughts?

I will have to agree with Timber, that your formatting style is great...in fact, as long as I've been on these internet forums, you are the first person that has such a style. And your pensmanship (types-manship) is also on point Thumbsup I will give you that.

However, some of your content strikes me as side-bar'ish...and irrelevant to the points. I will call you a "drifter", and sometimes I can be that way, particularly when having a verbal conversation with someone.

But getting back to formatting, like I said, I have no problems with your style...but I am more of a point-by-point kind of guy, but even with the clash of styles, I like the way things have gone.

You said that some of my content is redundant. That is because I must continue to drive home certain points. Why? Because certain things, or "problems" tend to be swept under the rug rather easily...and my goal is to keep the focus on those points as much as I can, especially since these points compliment my perspective rather well.

As far as God-of-the-gaps is concerned, I don't think so. I am not saying "I don't know, therefore, God did it". I am saying "of the only two options available, one is clearly negated, so the other one wins by default"...and this option just happens to be the God one.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have business to take care of..business involving...YOU Laugh out load
09-11-2015, 02:43 PM
(23-10-2015 12:46 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  I would not normally comment in this thread. I talk enough in the damned debate to make anybody say tldr. However, since COTW is already here, what the hell.

To be honest I am not sure why you bothered. When someone refuses to acknowledge what you have said and keeps repeating the same basic things over and over it is no longer a debate.
09-11-2015, 03:10 PM
Debating COTW is like arguing with a child who thinks that spiderman is real, and points to a comic book as proof.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
09-11-2015, 03:19 PM
It's rare when anyone is convinced one way or another by these debates, when these committed theists get on these forums to sling their woo, it's a matter of us pointing out the flaws in their argument over and over again. They think their little book has magic words and that they are obligated to push their religion in our faces, if anything, it just raises my level of disgust every time they get on this forum to bloviate.

They won't show just basic human decency and leave people alone. I will say it has been a pleasure to read your responses Dark Phoenix, I learned a lot in the exchange.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post