Boxing Ring Commentary - Dark Phoenix vs COTW

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2015, 07:11 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2015 06:29 PM by DLJ.)
Boxing Ring Commentary - Dark Phoenix vs COTW
Dark Phoenix's replies I expect will be wasted on COTW but they are excellent. Clear, concise, and direct. Well worth the wait. Great job!

Meanwhile, for reference:
Link to the match

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
16-04-2015, 07:26 AM
RE: Boxing Ring Commentary - Dark Phoenix vs COTW
No offence to Dark P but I haven't been following this one.

I feel uncomfortable watching a match when there is such huge disparity wrt intellect / education / ability.

It's like a heavy-weight matched against a fly-weight or like watching a virgin slave girl standing alone in the Colosseum of Rome waiting to be devoured by wild (but in this case, eloquent and polite) carnivores.

Too much blood .. it makes me squeamish.

Sadcryface

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
16-04-2015, 07:29 AM
(16-04-2015 07:26 AM)DLJ Wrote:  No offence to Dark P but I haven't been following this one.

I feel uncomfortable watching a match when there is such huge disparity wrt intellect / education / ability.

It's like a heavy-weight matched against a fly-weight or like watching a virgin slave girl standing alone in the Colosseum of Rome waiting to be devoured by wild (but in this case, eloquent and polite) carnivores.

Too much blood .. it makes me squeamish.

Sadcryface

You should read DP's posts just for their stand-alone value. You can skip COTW's because they are just argument from ignorance, argument from personal incredulity, special pleading, rinse, repeat like all the rest of his drivel.

[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
16-04-2015, 09:05 AM
it makes you feel like you are kicking a 3 legged, blindfolded dog....yeah it's easy, but it just feels wrong....like DLJ said, just a bloodbath. The funny thing is the self congratulatory tone of Wail of the Child, I truly think it isn't just false bravado, he may actually think he is kicking ass and taking names...the irony just makes me giggle....like a 10 yo 80 lb kid in the ring with mike Tyson talking smack, "yeah, you want some of this? you are outmatched Mike, I am whooping your ass"...as Mike stands there shaking with laughter.

it would be humorous if it wasn't so pitiful.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 5 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
16-04-2015, 09:09 AM
I am enjoying Dark Phoenix' exposition on Kalam, his last post about sentience drove home this idea of sentience as a first cause.

(P1) Everything that has sentience, has a cause.

(P2) The Christian God is defined as sentient.

(Con) Therefore, the Christian God has a cause.

It's fundamentally flawed to think that a vastly complex first cause is more viable than a simple force of nature.

A ball rolls across the floor

Therefore Superman pushed it!

Superman exists.....

I can't see why this is compelling and of course, it does not lead you to any specific god or a god that currently exists. Perhaps if a god started everything, it destroyed itself in the process, this would explain where matter came from- god guts!

So we could even concede that a god created everything, but what evidence could you provide that it is currently existing and has not been vaporized in the process of providing all matter and energy for the universe?

Back to square one, but perhaps we can eliminate the improbably complex god part?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
16-04-2015, 09:17 AM
(16-04-2015 09:09 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  .. god guts! Laughat

Laugh out load

Link to the match

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
16-04-2015, 10:08 AM
(16-04-2015 09:17 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(16-04-2015 09:09 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  .. god guts! Laughat

Laugh out load

Link to the match

Sorry, didn't think to include that. Stupid oversight on my part.

16-04-2015, 10:09 AM
Reading what DP says makes me feel very inadequate Weeping

BUT considerably more educated Thumbsup

You can tell by COTW responses how strongly humans cling to arguments of incredulity and how dearly we want closure.

One of the greatest physicists to ever live put it like this:

Scientific views end in awe and mystery, lost at the edge in uncertainty, but they appear to be so deep and so impressive that the theory that it is all arranged as a stage for God to watch man's struggle for good and evil seems inadequate.
~Richard P. Feynman

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
16-04-2015, 10:22 AM
(16-04-2015 10:09 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Reading what DP says makes me feel very inadequate Weeping

I console myself by claiming that he's taking a long time for each reply so he has time to research and review it thoroughly. Yeah, that's it. It's not that he's able to put together a better argument than I can... same with GoodWithoutGod, BuckyBall, RobbyPants, and a long list of others here.

Quote:BUT considerably more educated Thumbsup

Amen, you can say that again (wait, I think I just did)

[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
16-04-2015, 06:30 PM
(16-04-2015 10:08 AM)unfogged Wrote:  ...

Sorry, didn't think to include that. Stupid oversight on my part.

By the power invested in me... fixt!