Boxing Ring Commentary - Dark Phoenix vs COTW

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2015, 12:03 AM
RE: Boxing Ring Commentary - Dark Phoenix vs COTW
No doubt COTW believes he's holding his own or even winning this debate. It's the "pigeon playing chess" meme.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
23-04-2015, 11:07 PM
I really have to gloss over CotW's posts. DP is being polite and asking questions and CotW is being sarcastic and self-righteous. I can't bring myself to read his posts, it just makes me irritable. Also the formatting. I don't think it's necessary to break things up sentence by sentence. Especially if your comment for one sentence is "um,DP, did you THINK about this?" Yeah, you just look like an asshole.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
23-04-2015, 11:10 PM
Oh also,
CotW asks about proving/disproving a negative, as if he doesn't understand the burden of proof, but when DP gives the alternate example of sentience, suddenly he's all, "haha, you prove it first!"

Facepalm

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
23-04-2015, 11:31 PM
This dude is great. Call_of_Nature, I mean.

People will be deconverting just through embarrassment of being thought slow-by-association.

Check this out...
Quote:The reason I do this is because of the law of excluded middle, which states that if there are only two options (in this case), then to negate one is to grant the other. There is no middle ground here; either God did it, or nature did it. If you wish to rule out God, then nature wins by default, and vice versa.

It started well then.... ooops! .... false dichotomy.

'cause .... ALIENS did it!

Big Grin

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
25-04-2015, 09:37 PM
(23-04-2015 12:03 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  No doubt COTW believes he's holding his own or even winning this debate. It's the "pigeon playing chess" meme.

[Image: 3755873_370.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
29-04-2015, 03:30 PM
Dark Phoenix:
Quote: As a final point, consider the following syllogism.

(P1) Everything that has sentience, has a cause.

(P2) The Christian God is defined as sentient.

(Con) Therefore, the Christian God has a cause.

Even if nothing else I have said is something you would consider a valid refutation, I am interested to see what you make of this. I submit that if it cannot be refuted, the Kalam is therefore invalid on that basis alone.

COTW:
Quote:If it cannot be refuted? First I need sound and valid reasons that the premises are true, and that has to come from YOU

Yeah, the same reason that sound and valid reasons have to come from COTW for Kalam to be true, except DP's syllogism does not assume a god, it assumes no god, therefore making it a superior syllogism to Kalam.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
30-04-2015, 10:21 PM
(11-04-2015 12:57 AM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  You couldn’t have space without matter, because the matter is currently here, so if there was ever a point at which space existed with no matter, then where did the matter come from? And you can’t have space and matter without time, because with space and matter comes change, and change requires time.

He's so close!! There is a lot in what he just said here that is right on, he just can't get it into focus. He's thinking about the right things...just in the wrong way.

It's amazing what happens when you allow yourself to take off the god glasses and take in the same view from a different perspective, you no longer have to rely on tradition to give you answers. CoW just can't let the god angle go for two seconds to test a different viewpoint, even though Dark Phoenix is doing a damn fine job of presenting one.

You can lead a horse to water.....

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
03-05-2015, 05:58 AM
Dark Phoenix' last post was devastating, he showed that COTW was clearly misrepresenting Vilenken's viewpoint about the origins of the universe.

Vilenkin talks about how the universe could be considered a closed system and it would not violate any conservation laws. Vilenkin nukes COTW's core argument with his own words and COTW is either too ignorant or dishonest to acknowledge it!

I'm sure he'll continue to ignorantly or dishonestly pretend that Kalam is undeniable proof for gawd, he's just another Christian apologist that doesn't understand basic cosmology or dishonestly cherry-picks what they want to hear from cosmologists.

As far as I'm concerned, Dark Phoenix just outed him as an ignorant or dishonest fraud.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
11-05-2015, 11:40 PM
Reading COTW's last reply to Dark Phoenix damn near made me ill. The word to describe my disgust for someone like COTW does not currently exist in the English language. It's as if he's proud to be a liar and intentional dumbass.
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
12-05-2015, 09:01 AM
(11-05-2015 11:40 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Reading COTW's last reply to Dark Phoenix damn near made me ill. The word to describe my disgust for someone like COTW does not currently exist in the English language. It's as if he's proud to be a liar and intentional dumbass.

I actually don't think he's either of those things. I think he's sincere. He is utterly convinced by the Kalam argument and "the impossibility of infinite time", and can't see the flaws in those arguments. To him, they are slam dunks and that's that. From his perspective, we are like people denying that 2+2=4. I think he's wrong, but I don't think he knows that he's wrong. He's absolutely convinced that he is right. Which is why I stopped arguing with him long ago. It's pointless.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post